Running seasonal

h2ologd

Expert Expediter
I am presently hauling travel trailers throughout the winter months. Summer months I have another job. I have been hauling the travel trailers because I can choose where and when I want to take a load, plus they allow me to take off during the summer months.

If I were to purchase a straight truck, would an expediting company hire me and still only drive during the winter months? Also, would I have the option of running local or long runs?

At this point I am trying to decide what my options are and what I want to do this winter. Thank you ahead of time for your replies?

Keith

TryHoursRcrtr

Expert Expediter
I know in my fleet there are a handful of drivers that take the winter off because they are down south, and don't want to deal with the snow or ice. Try Hours does not have a problem with this. Feel free to give us a call.

Christine

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Try hours may be in the minority when it comes to "in service" quota's. I have heard that many of the others like Tri-State and FedExCC still want you in service something like 70% of the time. When we were with Roberts/FedExCC, I believe it was 70% at least but that was quite a while ago.

I know that some friend of ours drive for a smaller company and they don't necessarily have quota's but like to keep all their trucks in service all year round.

We drive for Con-Way and I don't know of any quota's per se they mandate but they too, want you to be in service especially during peak months.

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--