Run over

david50

Seasoned Expediter
This past friday in West Memphis AR was parked at the pilot around 4:00 pm a swift tt backs in beside me shortly there after I go across the parking lot to kfc for a bite as I get closer to my truck I noticed the front wheels turned all the way to the right got a little closer noticed left side of my bumper which is a 3 piece on the ground along with headlight grill the headlight was broken left fender busted so I went to the swift driver and said did you see who hit my truck he said yea I did first thing I did was call dispatch and tell them I wouldnt be able to cover the load that I was going to pick up she had time to find another truck I drove the truck back home to NC it drove ok except the steering wheel is a 1/4 turn off it also took a slice out of the left front tire the driver said he was leaving to go over to the flying j to get a shower which is 2 bucks cheeper we exchanged all the info both took pictures swift is self insured so my question is should I be reimbursed for the run I lost plus any down time while the truck is being repaired or is that just tuff luck thanks.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I was damaged twice where I received a reasonable price for my down time while repairs were effected. I sent a letter to the other party's insurance carrier, explained my gross revenue, fixed and variable expenses. I subtracted the variables from the gross and asked for, and received a pro rata share of the remainder. My letter was in the form of a sternly worded, but non-threatening, request and I was promptly reimbursed for my lost income.

Swift would understand your loss if reported in real, uninflated numbers as they must go through this regularly.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You should also be reimbursed for the trip home,$150 a day down time until the truck is repaired and operating.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I would go $300/day. If you would be driving, getting runs (like the one you lost when you found out he hit you), and making money, they should be paying you a more realistic number. You could start by claiming the load you lost as income lost, then go from there.

What kind of damage was done to his truck? I'm guessing something that made him stick around; otherwise he probably woulda taken off.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

david50

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry I didnt tell his damage about half way down his trailer is were the red paint started it busted both front tires on his trailer and bent the rim on the rear outside he was still sitting there the next morning when I left thanks for the come backs.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Plenty light Rich. When you submit for "down time" it's best if you provide a 90 day income and expense picture. You may also want to ask them if they'd choose to rent you a truck while yours is being repaired. Unless, you choose to sit on your hands during that time and just collect. You will need to send verification of your run revenue and expenses when you claim it. May as well start digg'in it out.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Swift was the witness not the hitter, as I read it. Thankfully the Swift driver was honorable and supplied the needed info on what happened.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Sorry Leo. I read it that the Swifty driver said "I did". Little hard to tell without some punctuation.

david50

Seasoned Expediter
When I got there he was on the phone with his company telling them what happend he was pretty upset with his self I told him it could of been worse we could of been on the road when it happend the manager at the pilot was very nice said we both could stay as long as needed to get them back on the road.Hopefully in the morning the ball will start rolling I dang sure need to get back on the road.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, now it sounds like Swift may have been the hitter after all. In any event, it's a good thing it wasn't the usual hit and run. The others have given good advice on how to handle reporting it and what to ask for in compensation. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

jwgmover

Expert Expediter
Same thing happened to me at the same Pilot, only it was CR England.

I got a little over $1600, for 6 days down time. That was in addition to $550 for the return trip to SC and 10 Grand in repairs.

Oh, yeah the CR England driver, 2 months behind the wheel runnig solo.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can't help but feel sorry for those drivers, who know as well as anyone that they aren't as ready to go it alone as the carrier says they are, but they have bills to pay, and a work ethic, and so it goes....another accident looking for a place to happen, and when it does, it's the driver's fault entirely, and no blame attaches to the carrier - they just fire the driver, and get another one. Ad infinitum, and ad nauseum.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have lost count of the number of truck stop fender benders I have seen happen before my eyes or seen shortly after they occured. Almost always, one driver is perfectly parked and minding his or her business. Then another driver comes in and WHAM! your whole month changes.

The moral of the story is, don't park in a truck stop if you don't have to.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Last time that happened to me the guy took off before I could get my pants on and get out of the sleeper. Good thing the damage was slight. No-one needs to see an old chubby guy leap out of his truck in his underware.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
when i first started driving tractor trailers I always asked someone to spot me if it was tight or I didn't feel that confident about it. Once my confidence was built up I asked less. Most times when I would ask the drivers to spot me they would say I'd rather spot you than you hit my ride. Plus a lot of them would compliment me on asking for help because alot of the younger guys don't. I asked a swift driver if he needed some help out in cali because he was sitting there punching his steering wheel and he came out of the truck on me. I'll never make that mistake again.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
When we were hit by a JB Hunt Transport Inc TT last Sept, we settled for cost of repair and $400/day for down time. Armed with revenue records from our own truck and two simular trucks operated by freinds, I was able to get their claims rep up from the $100/day then $200/day they offered for our down time for repairs. Yes, the net per day revenue for a DR-unit should be a bit higher. Unfortunately, based on statistics, big trucking companies rarily settle for more than a few hundred dollars per day without a lawsuit.

Trust me, it did not come without persistance on my part. These companies don't like open claims laying on their desk any longer than it takes to get "you" to settle. We had an attorney on standby had they not settled and they were made aware of that. For what we would have spent, I'm sure we would have neted less.