Run away autoshift!

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure I'll regret posting this:
Recently the XY shifter went out on our 18 speed Eaton Fuller autoshift transmission. This is the part that actually shifts the tranny from gear to gear. The transmission locked in eighteenth gear as we were approaching an exit ramp and the truck would not downshift. Also for some reason the clutch would not disengage nor would the transmission manually shift on command. Not a good situation!

After finally getting the shifter to release and reset (not without stopping and shutting the truck off for a while) we were able to limp to the shop carefully by manually shifting and a few more shifting hangups along the way.

Three days in the shop, replacing the almost $1000.00 shifter (part cost) and a total bill of almost $2500.00, the tranny works like new again. The problem was determined to be the push rod and rod bushing inside the XY shifter had worn out (common Eaton problem) causing it to bind up.

Now I guess some would say thats absolutely why you should always manual shift your autoshift and never trust it to shift itself because its to dangerous! LOL

Deville

Not a Member
I've heard this story from a couple of people with a similar prolbem or it was a computer issue. Eaton really needs to address it in a recall before someone gets killed.