Ruby

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Ruby on Her Blankie.jpg Ruby on Landing.jpg

This morning our dog Ruby(Rubes) passed from kidney failure. She was my daughter's dog for the first few years of her life. She came to us in 1999 when my daughter went off to college. For whatever reason, Rubes latched onto me and became my constant companion. She never left my side.

Whenever I came home from work, the road, or just a trip to McDonald's she would do her "runny thingy" from room to room just because I was back home. Every time I was ill or recovering from surgery, she would be on my lap or at my feet. Her food had to be brought to her because she wouldn't leave me. At night she would curl up behind my knees to sleep. When her legs failed her and she could no longer jump on the bed, she would continue to try until I lifted her up. I have never known such devotion. Now, she is gone and I am lost. I have her collar in my pocket trying to keep her close to me.

My heart beats slower now because only half of it remains in my chest. The other half closed her eyes forever this morning. Rest well, little one. You will be with me always.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
My thanks to all if you. It's much appreciated.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
I am truly sorry for your loss. I want to share this with you as it was sent to me when my buddy Snaps was taken from me.

Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me as though i were beside you.
I loved you so...'Twas heaven here with you.

Isla Paschal Richardson​

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
I have felt that loss several times... I will someday too soon experience it again. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this....

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I am truly sorry for your loss. I want to share this with you as it was sent to me when my buddy Snaps was taken from me.

Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me as though i were beside you.
I loved you so...'Twas heaven here with you.

Isla Paschal Richardson​

Thanks Scott. Leave it to you to come up with something appropriate. May be a while before I can put it into practice. Check out my Co-Pilot below.

I have felt that loss several times... I will someday too soon experience it again. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this....

I haven't met you yet Gary, but I appreciate it. Rubes is the 7th loss we have suffered since Shirley and I were married 21 years ago. We also have Ruby's sister, so....

My New Co Pilot.jpg

A few years ago, my daughter gave me this little one for Father's Day. We both thought it looked like Rubes.

It will be my co-pilot from now on. Soon, it will contain some of Ruby's ashes so she will truly always be with me. Now all I have to do is find a doll car seat for her. :)

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Steve, very sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts. Call if you need anything.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Thanks guys. This poem is a favorite of ours. The plaque you see in the first pic is of that poem. It is above Thor, on the right, and Nero on the left.

The second pic is of our other four. L to R is Pedro, Chloe, who we lost last year and we are still looking for the right house for her, Chance, and Tiffany.

The two small bottles in the pic are Shirley's parents.

Thor and Nero.jpg Tiffany Pedro Chance and Chloe.jpg

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My sister and her husband put their dog down last year. After talking about it, they decided rather than adopt a puppy that they would instead rescue an older lab that they came across through a website. This dog was 10 yrs old and its owner had committed suicide after being diagnosed with a terminal illness. The absolute joy that Hunter has given them this past year (knowing full well his days are numbered) has convinced them that rescuing abandoned older dogs is what they will continue to do.
I only post this as this thread shows the love we have for pets, and not to try to tell anyone how to grieve or do things.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
My sister and her husband put their dog down last year. After talking about it, they decided rather than adopt a puppy that they would instead rescue an older lab that they came across through a website. This dog was 10 yrs old and its owner had committed suicide after being diagnosed with a terminal illness. The absolute joy that Hunter has given them this past year (knowing full well his days are numbered) has convinced them that rescuing abandoned older dogs is what they will continue to do.
I only post this as this thread shows the love we have for pets, and not to try to tell anyone how to grieve or do things.

Thanks Scott. I know your grieving too. This thread is helping me accept losing Rubes.

While Rubes wasn't abandoned, our Chloe was, pic below, and we found her at the local shelter. She cuddled up to Shirley and that was all it took. Losing her to cancer last April was a shock. She was only 9.

There are many dog rescue organizations out there and many dogs looking for homes. Hunter sounds like a great dog. I'm glad your sister saved him.

15.jpg 7.jpg