Rose Colored Glasses

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I've spent the best part of the last 17+ years expediting through 46 States and 3 Canadian Provinces. We have traveled over 1.5 million miles in a total of 5 vans and throughout this time we have been approached by all manner of folks, including the young and old, workers and retirees, commercial drivers and aspiring CDL holders. These myriad people each wanted to know what is that Roberts Express (later FedEx Custom Critical) all about. Initially, they were curious about this relatively new element of the surface transportation industry. During the latter years, the most common questions have been "How far do you folks drive" and "Are you makin' any money doing that". I'm sure all my fellow expediters have had similar encounters on nearly a daily basis.

Rene' and I have been pleased to take the time to explain our profession to any and all who took an interest in our activities. We have always been cautiously enthusiastic when explaining the peculiar characteristics of expediting as compared to OTR and LTL trucking. We have never exaggerated the earning potential of expediting and where we could we would provide actual dollar averages enjoyed by each truck category leased to our carrier.

During the past several years, Rene' and I have been assisting the staff of ExpeditersOnline.com by joining them in the EO booth at the Mid America Trucking Show (MATS); we will join them again from March 22-24 at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville. We have also similarly assisted at each of the six annual Expedite Expos, and at several Free Expediter Workshops held in many large metropolitan areas.

We have met many hundreds of people at these events where it was our pleasure to discuss expediting, including our opinions of earning potential. We earnestly believe that the dissemination of our experiences and knowledge of the business has helped many of our booth visitors enter expediting and enjoy a bit of success. We trust that our forecasts of earning potential has never caused disappointment with those event participants.

I bought my first computer in April, 2004 and since that time I have been attempting to honestly answer questions presented by Forum members. Those of you who know us, know that we have never been confrontational in these Fora; we say our piece and move on. We have always believed that EO is the premier Expedited Freight Information Center and that the visitors to the Forum can get realistic, day-to-day fact upon which a typical person could make a rational decision about a career in expediting. "What's a good carrier for my particular circumstance", "What's the best truck type for my expectations", and "What's my earning potential in expediting" are common questions in here every day.

Lately there has been considerable discussion in the Forum about the likelihood of a team with one straight truck going from a net worth of zero to a million dollars in 20 or less years of expediting. Is that possible? In a word, yes. Is it probable? No! I have no empirical data to support my opinion and I doubt that anyone has amassed a million in expediting to support an opposing position.

Any of us can speculate that a dedicated straight truck couple, making sound investments, can theoretically accumulate a million dollars between now and 2027. I do not believe it can be done by a couple with a stationary residence, typical living expenses and the desire to enjoy an occasional ordinary family lifestyle. I think that in order to make that million, a couple would have to dedicate some prime years of life, living in a truck with a sleeper, however luxuriously or practically appointed, no larger than my 6'x12' storage shed. They would have to embrace a modest existence and invest a minimum of $500 after-tax dollars every week for eighteen years.

So, lets make monthly deposits of $2000 which yield a healthy 6.5%. Our frugal couple will have amassed $1,000,000 in 18 years. But due to an estimated 3% inflation, their $1,000,000 will be worth only $587,394 in today's dollars. To reach a $1,000,000 in today's dollars, you will have to wait until 2033 when their balance will be $2,165,841. That's $2000 every month for 26 years; miss just one month n the early years and add another year to reach the goal.

Another problem will be the housing market. A house valued at $300,000 today, sold for $100,000 twenty years ago. How much will that couple have to pay for a modest home in 2026? Anyone's guess in the volatile housing market. Who can even begin to guess the mortgage interest rates in 2026? Since the couple will be living mortgage free in a truck for twenty years, they'll need to obtain and furnish a residence with a chunk of their $587,394 and live off the remainder until Social Security kicks in.

The moral of this lengthy thread is, take off the rose colored glasses that provide a rosier than likely image of expediting earning potential. I recommend that the reader not take as gospel, anything that I or any other individual promote concerning earning potential. Take advantage of the accumulated experience, knowledge and wisdom of the many EO Forum members, Expedite Carrier Recruiters and other Expedite truck Owner/Operators before committing to the interesting world of expediting.

Terry O'Connell

Tony

Expert Expediter
That is a great post Terry! I believe it to be the way it is (simple logic if thought about). In retirement a simpler home is my expectation,40' fifth wheeler(not brand new). Yep, call me a snowbird at that time.
On a side note, what two states in the continental U.S. have you not been through?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Washington and Oregon are the two States where we have neither picked-up nor delivered. We've been there, as well as Alaska and Hawaii, but not as expediters.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If money is the only thing that motivates you, then you will not last 5 years let alone 20 - eventually you will burn yourself out pursuing the mighty dollar and die miserable.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Excellent post and I agree completely.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the informative post. Your calculator must be smoking from all the hard figures to run. Whew!

India Hamner
FedEx CC
D Unit
The reason so many people know the solution is that they created the problem!

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Right on Terry! I´ve always counseled those that approach me, that you can make an above average comfortable living if you have the money management skills. You can pretty much live where you wish as a trucker, though in expediting you´d be wise to base yourself on the east coast somewhere. That said, I emphasize that it is a LIFESTYLE, and if you don´t enjoy it, sooner or later you´ll be chasing your tail. If you do like being on the road, then I think it´s a great way to make a living. You´ll never get rich, but you´ll live well, and enjoy your work. You might get rich if you invest correctly, as you pointed out, but if rich is your goal, better you find another vocation.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great job Terry and Rene.

Hard data for the newbies or the gullible to digest and make a practical decision.

Your experience, honesty and good advise is valuable.

In the all years I've read the financial mags (Fortune, Biz week) and rags, Wall Street Journal, etc.), I don't ever remember any stories about any successful 20-year business plans that involved living in any kind of a truck that resulted in the owner(s) becoming millionaires.

Be safe everyone.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
GREAT POST Terry:)

can you make money in this Business? I would have to say yes, but as Terry points out 20 years from now your money may not be worth as much as it is in todays time. I remember 25 years ago a can of soda/pop was only .25 a can it's almost a $1.00 a can now. Gas was .86 a gallon in 1987 and 10 years ago you could fill up your d-unit for around $120.00. So there you have it.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Well truck drivers are making the same money today that they did 35 years ago, What does that tell you it will be like in 20 more.
35 years ago a truck driver was making an upper middle class income.
Today I don't believe there is anything as an upper middle class any more. Now I know people that have only been in this business a few years may think they are making good money, but their not. But it is more than they made at Taco Bell.

For NOW anyway!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have decided to use a financial planner and he recommends that you use a yield of 10%

So, lets make monthly deposits of $2000 which yield a healthier 10%. Our frugal couple will have amassed $1,000,000 in 17 years. But due to an estimated 3% inflation, their $1,000,000 will be worth only $605.016 in today's dollars. To reach a $1,000,000 in today's dollars, you will have to wait until 2030 when their balance will be $ 2,131,098. That's $2000 every month for 23 years; miss just one month in the early years and add another year to reach the goal.

I recommend that the reader not take as gospel, anything that I or Terry O'Connell or any other individual promote concerning earning potential. Each and every expediters situation is unique look at your own situation and plan your future accordingly.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Everyone has to go with what they feel is best. Personally I would never use 10% and am not sure I'd be comfortable with the 6% Terry used but find it better for projections. I'd much rather follow a plan based on 5-6% and any increase above that is a bonus to my plan rather than following an overly optimistic plan and finding myself behind due to only a 6-7% return. The important point of this thread is to plan for the future looking farther than the next set of game machines at the next truckstop. Terry has made an excellent post it behooves everyone to heed.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Now I know people that have only been in
>this business a few years may think they are making good
>money, but their not. But it is more than they made at Taco
>Bell.
>
>For NOW anyway!

The difference between negativity and reality is reality is based on facts. Negativity is based on envy.

If I think a Taco Bell income is good money then it is. People feed their families on Taco Bell income and that is good.
Expediting income is good money. And I'm not talking semantics.

It's a hypocrite that comes to this forum, constantly beats up the business, other companies in the business and continues to expedite.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Very good post, Terry.
Right to the point without alot of pomp and puffery.
If I could write that well I would sign my name to it.
Maybe classes at the Hamptons?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I also thought it was excellent.Everybody's situation and where they are in life is unigue to that individual.People have different wants and desires. When someone asks me about potential revenue I usually say "What is the minimum amount of money you ned to live on." Based on their answer I go from there.
But there are many cases where new folks that have been told about the mega millions they will earn, pay no attentionto a warning. Someone starts out,a few weeks later a large check arives,they think it will always be like this,so a new F 150,then the 100 inch Plasma TV arrives.

I think all potential expediters should have minimum expectations,but many hear and only want to hear the million dollar payday.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mutual funds may be the way to invest.

CNN announced at the end of the year that 2006 Stocks returned a whopping 15%. 2007 is expected to due well also.

Vanguard (no-load) had several mutual funds that returned 13%

Be safe.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Expediting is like most other professions. Some will be OK in twenty years, and others will go on welfare when they quit driving in twenty years. I have worked for GM for over thirty years. Some of my co workers are working at Wally World, and some have bought a second home in Florida. I am somewhere in between. The key is to put SOMETHING away each payday. My best invenstment was 17 academic years out of my pocket for three daughters. It didn't help me much, but it was the best investment I ever made.
:+ :+ :+

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Terry,

You put things exceptionally well. Thank you for your thoughtful and balanced response.

>I've spent the best part of the last 17+ years expediting
>through 46 States and 3 Canadian Provinces. We have
>traveled over 1.5 million miles in a total of 5 vans and
>throughout this time we have been approached by all manner
>of folks, including the young and old, workers and retirees,
>commercial drivers and aspiring CDL holders. These myriad
>people each wanted to know what is that Roberts Express
>(later FedEx Custom Critical) all about. Initially, they
>were curious about this relatively new element of the
>surface transportation industry. During the latter years,
>the most common questions have been "How far do you folks
>drive" and "Are you makin' any money doing that". I'm sure
>all my fellow expediters have had similar encounters on
>nearly a daily basis.

Diane and me too; we have 3+ years under our belt, over 400,000 miles in 48 states and 3 Canadian provinces, in six different trucks. Of course, our 3+ years in the field have not given us time to acquire the hands-on knowledge of industry history that a longer time period will. That will come in time. For past history information, we rely on research and reports from others. We are approached almost daily and asked about expediting, by the same kinds of people asking the same questions.

>Rene' and I have been pleased to take the time to explain
>our profession to any and all who took an interest in our
>activities. We have always been cautiously enthusiastic
>when explaining the peculiar characteristics of expediting
>as compared to OTR and LTL trucking. We have never
>exaggerated the earning potential of expediting and where we
>could we would provide actual dollar averages enjoyed by
>each truck category leased to our carrier.

Same here. To save time when people approach, to avoid answering the same questions over and over again, and to be certain that we leave the people who approach us with not just good answers to their questions but a full and balanced introduction to expediting, I wrote a piece entitled "Introduction to Expediting." We place it in their hands. Not only does it provide answers to frequently asked questions about expediting, it provides answers to questions expediter wannabees may not think to ask, but should.

There is no way anyone can provide a proper introduction to expediting in a street conversation, no matter how skilled one becomes at answering questions. I have always worried about answering ONLY the questions expediter wannabees ask. More important are the questions they are not asking but should. "Introduction to Expediting" addresses both.

Readers of "Introduction to Expediting" will see no quantified mention of earnings potential. They will read, "While many folks have tried and failed, others are earning a great living and enjoying life as expediters." That is as close as the piece gets to quantifying earnings potential for anyone.

Open Forum readers can read "Introduction to Expediting" at: http://www.expeditersonline.com/downloads/introduction.pdf

If you want to know what Diane and I tell expediter wannabees that approach us and ask about expediting, you need only read "Introduction to Expediting." That is what we place in their hands. It includes references to EO and encourages readers to go to the EO site and Open Forum for more information.

Sometimes people will press us for specifics on earnings potential. For those, we also carry the "revenue sheet" that is published by FedEx Custom Critical. That is a document, available from recruiting, that provides fleet gross revenue averages for solo drivers and teams in all types of units (B, C, D, E), excluding White Glove trucks.

I believe I am in no danger of providing misleading information by placing that document in expediter wannabee hands. It is hard to imagine a more factual source that people researching the industry can use to form their own revenue expectations.

And then there are those people - either highly persistent out of intense interest, or just plain rude - who continue to press for highly-specific revenue information. "How much do you make?" they will sometimes ask.

That is not a question we answer lightly. Depending on our measure of who we are talking to, we may not answer it at all, we might be vague, or we might be specific. If we are specific, we quickly and strongly quantify it with words like "We don't go home anywhere near as often as most expediters do." Or, "It's not a given that if you get in, you will make the same kind of money, even if you stay out as much as we do. There is a lot more too it than that." We further explain that we have no house of our own (modest rental space instead), no kids, no pets, no plants to water, no lawn to mow, etc.

In other words, we do not casually toss our gross earnings numbers into the laps of expediter wannabees who approach us on the street. In the Open Forum, if I do offer a specific number about something, it is in the context of the Open Forum itself. There is no shortage of people in the forums that either reply directly or rise in other topics to talk about how many people fail as expediters and go bankrupt getting there.
>
>During the past several years, Rene' and I have been
>assisting the staff of ExpeditersOnline.com by joining them
>in the EO booth at the Mid America Trucking Show (MATS); we
>will join them again from March 22-24 at the Kentucky
>Exposition Center in Louisville. We have also similarly
>assisted at each of the six annual Expedite Expos, and at
>several Free Expediter Workshops held in many large
>metropolitan areas.

Us too, but to a lesser extent, simply because we have not been in the industry as long as you. At EO's invitation, we have contributed time to work in the EO booth. I have also dedicated untold hours writing pieces for the EO web site and Expedite NOW: magazine, for which I am not paid. That is volunteer time put in to help EO and to help others learn about expediting.

For example, a 3,000-word piece about FedEx Expedited Freight Services will soon appear on EO. That piece took me over 25 hours to produce. Higher-skilled writers would take far less time. Writing is a hobby for me, not a profession. Nevertheless, 25 hours of writing equates to 2.5 days in a booth where the shifts are 10 hours, and I write articles on an ongoing basis.

>We have met many hundreds of people at these events where it
>was our pleasure to discuss expediting, including our
>opinions of earning potential. We earnestly believe that
>the dissemination of our experiences and knowledge of the
>business has helped many of our booth visitors enter
>expediting and enjoy a bit of success. We trust that our
>forecasts of earning potential has never caused
>disappointment with those event participants.

Same with us, except Terry, being in the industry longer, has no doubt met more people than us. As stated above, we are very careful about creating false earnings expectations among those who approach.

> I bought my first computer in April, 2004 and since that
>time I have been attempting to honestly answer questions
>presented by Forum members. Those of you who know us, know
>that we have never been confrontational in these Fora; we
>say our piece and move on. We have always believed that EO
>is the premier Expedited Freight Information Center and that
>the visitors to the Forum can get realistic, day-to-day fact
>upon which a typical person could make a rational decision
>about a career in expediting. "What's a good carrier for my
>particular circumstance", "What's the best truck type for my
>expectations", and "What's my earning potential in
>expediting" are common questions in here every day.

I lack Terry's diplomatic skills. It is an admitted personal flaw on my part. While I most-often am able to resist the temptation to return insult for insult, I sometimes cave into the temptation. I know better, but sometimes behave badly anyway.

I do hope readers notice that while my opinions about expediting sometimes spark a spirited discussion (this thread is a case in point), I am almost never the first one to pitch a personal pot shot at someone else. My pot shots usually come after someone shoots one at me, misrepresents my posts, puts words into my mouth, calls me a liar, attacks the man instead of the idea, or makes some other unethical or below-the-belt statement.

Terry used the word "realistic." People often use the word "realistic" in the Open Forum to make or defend their points. Some seem to overlook the fact that what is realistic for some may not be realistic for others.

They then fall back on their years of experience to prove that it is not "realistic" to complete task A, or accomplish goal B, or earn dollar amount X. Perhaps without realizing it, they slide from talking about what is realistic for people within the industry to talking about what is realistic for the industry itself. They seem unable to grasp the fact that the industry is larger and presents more possibilities than any one expediter (including me) can see. If I live to drive a hundred years (unrealistic figure of speech), I will never grow wise enough to know that I know the way all things are in expediting.

Even if I could, I would not want to do so. The minute you think you know all there is to know about expediting, or even a great deal about it, you close yourself off to what you do not know; and you may miss tremendous opportunities as a result, because you blinded yourself to them.

While it may not be realistic at all for expediter A to do something. It may be very realistic for expediter B to do the very same thing. "Realistic" is not about the industry. "Realistic" is about the person.
>
>Lately there has been considerable discussion in the Forum
>about the likelihood of a team with one straight truck going
>from a net worth of zero to a million dollars in 20 or less
>years of expediting. Is that possible? In a word, yes. Is
>it probable? No! I have no empirical data to support my
>opinion and I doubt that anyone has amassed a million in
>expediting to support an opposing position.

I am glad to see that Terry agrees it is at least hypothetically possible for a team with one straight truck going from a net worth of zero to a million dollars in 20 or less years of expediting. He is also correct that it is improbable.

When I was a financial planner working in Minnesota, only a tiny fraction of the adult population were millionaires. But that in no way means that someone who set a long term goal to become one could not do so. The reason more people are not millionaires is simply that they do not believe it can ever happen, so they never try. Others who try lack the skills or information required to become one. More often, they lack the willingness to acquire the skills and information.

That latter group, the ones that lack the willingness to set goals and face facts are the ones that rush into all sorts of hair-brained schemes. Or, they rush half-cocked into reasonable endeavors in which other people have done well, but crash and burn because no matter what others told them, they did not listen; and while pouring time, energy and attention into their activity, they avoided, sometimes with great effort, the need to look into their heart and the personality issues that kept them from the success they sought. They are willing to bet the farm on lottery tickets but they lack the courage to look into their heart and figure out why.

As in the general population, so too in expediting. There is a group of people that will believe what they want to believe, contrary to all evidence, and rush headlong into it, no matter what people try to tell them and no matter how much help they are offered. They will read and ignore most of what is in "Introduction to Expediting." They will instead invent in their own mind visions of success that, while being realistic for some, are not realistic for them. They are blind to their own flaws. When they fail, they will blame everyone and everything else for the result.

It never occurs to them to ask why they failed (or are failing) while others doing the very same thing are succeeding. It never occurs to them to look into themselves to find out what is wrong. They instead take the easier but more destructive route of working harder (but not smarter), enrolling others in their blame game ("Don't you agree that the economy is against the little guy?" "Don't you agree that my carrier sucks and makes their money by taking ours?"), or distracting themselves with additional business or non-business activity.

Nevertheless, it remains true that high monetary success is realistic for many. Expediter wannabees have the right to know the full range results people have as expediters. An over-emphasis on the failures is as much as a disservice to wannabees as an over-emphasis on the top producers.

Terry said it is improbable that said team can reach said net worth over 20 years. He is correct. However, that does not rule out the possibility, which is a realistic possibility (not guarantee) for those who are willing to do what it takes. I'm happy to see, finally, some people in the Open Forum agreeing that, yes, it is at least possible to reach said goal.

>Any of us can speculate that a dedicated straight truck
>couple, making sound investments, can theoretically
>accumulate a million dollars between now and 2027. I do not
>believe it can be done by a couple with a stationary
>residence, typical living expenses and the desire to enjoy
>an occasional ordinary family lifestyle. I think that in
>order to make that million, a couple would have to dedicate
>some prime years of life, living in a truck with a sleeper,
>however luxuriously or practically appointed, no larger than
>my 6'x12' storage shed. They would have to embrace a modest
>existence and invest a minimum of $500 after-tax dollars
>every week for eighteen years.

Terry is exactly right. No one will build a million-dollar net worth as an expediter that does not set that as a goal and make the lifestyle changes required to achieve it. The hypothetical team I have in mind is an empty-nester team ... meaning no kids or kids that are grown and on their own. It means NOT having an ordinary family lifestyle. A million-dollar net worth is not an ordinary goal. It will require extraordinary lifestyle changes and activities to achieve it. It is not something most people are willing to even think about, let alone try; and nothing says anyone has to.

>So, lets make monthly deposits of $2000 which yield a
>healthy 6.5%. Our frugal couple will have amassed
>$1,000,000 in 18 years. But due to an estimated 3%
>inflation, their $1,000,000 will be worth only $587,394 in
>today's dollars. To reach a $1,000,000 in today's dollars,
>you will have to wait until 2033 when their balance will be
>$2,165,841. That's $2000 every month for 26 years; miss just
>one month n the early years and add another year to reach
>the goal.

Except, most of the money invested would need to be invested in items that are subject to market risk but less-subject to inflation risk. Also, if $1,000,000 today will be worth only $587,394 in purchasing power then, that is all the more reason to prepare for those days, is it not?

>Another problem will be the housing market. A house valued
>at $300,000 today, sold for $100,000 twenty years ago. How
>much will that couple have to pay for a modest home in 2026?
>Anyone's guess in the volatile housing market. Who can even
>begin to guess the mortgage interest rates in 2026? Since
>the couple will be living mortgage free in a truck for
>twenty years, they'll need to obtain and furnish a residence
>with a chunk of their $587,394 and live off the remainder
>until Social Security kicks in.

Terry makes a good point. Diane and I just last week addressed it by purchasing the one-acre lot on which our retirement home will be built. When our truck is paid off, we will continue to drive it and (1) save money to pay cash for our next truck, (2) put money away for retirement, and (3) also buy more vacant land in the area where we plan to retire.

We will put as much money into vacant land as will buy a nice house in present-day dollars. As housing prices in that area change, so too will land prices in that area. When the time comes to build a house, we will sell the land at that-day's prices and build a house with that-day's dollars. In the meantime, the value of the land will appear as an asset on the balance sheet and as part of our net worth.

It is nice about vacant land ownership that taxes are very low and it requires virtually no maintenance. Unlike a house, rental property, or commercial property, vacant land frees us to stay out on the road and in the expediting income stream. Financing costs, closing costs, etc. are all factored in as we determine how much land we will need to buy and sell to fund our retirement home.

>The moral of this lengthy thread is, take off the rose
>colored glasses that provide a rosier than likely image of
>expediting earning potential. I recommend that the reader
>not take as gospel, anything that I or any other individual
>promote concerning earning potential. Take advantage of the
>accumulated experience, knowledge and wisdom of the many EO
>Forum members, Expedite Carrier Recruiters and other
>Expedite truck Owner/Operators before committing to the
>interesting world of expediting.
>
>Terry O'Connell

I agree with everything Terry said in the above paragraph, except the rose-colored thing. Just as what is realistic for some is not realistic for others, what is rose-colored for some is plain-view for others. The suggestion Terry made is one also made by myself and many other Open Forum participants.

Terry's words merit repetition. He said,

"I recommend that the reader
not take as gospel, anything that I or any other individual
promote concerning earning potential. Take advantage of the
accumulated experience, knowledge and wisdom of the many EO
Forum members, Expedite Carrier Recruiters and other
Expedite truck Owner/Operators before committing to the
interesting world of expediting."