Roof top ac quit

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone offer any troubleshooting tips? I have a Coleman with a Magnum inverter and Onan genset. The thermostat is reading a temp of 99deg with a set point of 72. Tried all the breakers under the bed, nothing happens to the unit itself. Any help appreciated, can't afford to idle for a/c!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Never worked on one, but if it has a start run capacitor on it and the capacitor is swollen and out of round, then replace the capacitor. Make sure u hook up the wiring just like the old one. You can get a capacitor at any heat and air parts store,see yellow pages or if there is a John-stone store near u, thats what they sell.
should cost under 20 bucks. take a pic of it too with ur cell phone 1st to make sure u have a copy of the wiring if u can. The capacity on the capacitor will say 5 or 7.5 or 10uf and get the voltage off the side of it too. If u can take it to the store with u, . PS Do not get ur hands or fingers across a capacitor when its running, u wont have any fingers as the voltage goes up to 400 or 500 volts and the amps will increase and u mite not be on the planet anymore. good luck:D

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the responses, guys! I knew I could throw out a problem and get some friendly help. I read all the time on here, "aw, it's prolly just the flux capacitor, they need replaced every year" lol.

Jack, it was cranking out cold yesterday, now it's not turning on at all- no click- no blowing- nothing. So that's probably not related, right? (be gentle, I'm not a HVAC tech ;•) ) Greg, I honestly don't know. I haven't had hubby look at the wiring and stuff in detail yet, we're going to start on this as soon as we deliver. It's only 80 right now, and thankfully we had a run overnight.
Thank you skyrider, I'll pass that on to the hubby once he's up.

If you can't afford to idle for a few hours during a breakdown, you probably can't afford to be in the business period.

I'm going to assume you meant that as a kind and friendly observation. Perhaps I should have chosen different wording or put a 'winky' after it. Let me clarify: I don't want to spend money idleing a truck that has all the fixin's to prevent idleing. The truck has a DPF on it- we don't idle. Can anyone really "afford" to idle their truck? I don't like paying $80 for a hotel, either. I have the money, I'm gonna take it in to a shop, that's not the issue.
As I said above, I just thought I'd ask for tips, because there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here- someone's probably got a helpful answer.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I know nothing about the a/c at all, but I can give you a tip on the $80 motel room. I stay in some pretty nice rooms for less than $50. Go to Priceline, learn their "name your price" program. The 60% off is a good number to expect. There are lots of similar websites. I've always just used priceline.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rocket, I was just over there and didn't see the hotel I stayed at for the price I paid - $54. BUT that's not important. What I also did was look at the cruises they had and saw they had listed some of them for $499. I am wondering if you know if that is per night or per cruise?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Got my answer, interesting that I can go from NY to southhampton for under a $1000 on the QM2 with an ocean view.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Rocket, I was just over there and didn't see the hotel I stayed at for the price I paid - $54. BUT that's not important. What I also did was look at the cruises they had and saw they had listed some of them for $499. I am wondering if you know if that is per night or per cruise?

I don't know anything about their cruises. The listed price is not what you pay if you use the "name your price" option.

The "name your price" works great, but you can't pick a particular hotel. You have to let the system find it for you. Their are some controls that you get to put on it (star level, geographic area, etc, etc). Once you submit your offer, if the system matches you to a room, they automaticly charge your card.

I've used the "name your price" for a long time and even if I did get a bad room at this point, I could just drive away and forget it. I've stayed in Hampton,Baymont, Jameson (sanford, nc), Wyndham (Destin, FL), Marriot, alot of nice rooms (I don't remember locations on all of them). I find that the 2-1/2 star level will often get you a room in an extended stay hotel. They are nice rooms, I prefer a regular hotel, but I don't complain about the extended stay for the money I pay. Extended stay is probably the worst rooms I get using the system the way I use it. I try to stick with $100 rooms that I can bid $40 on and get them. By the time the taxes and fees are added, I'm generally in the $50 range.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Got my answer, interesting that I can go from NY to southhampton for under a $1000 on the QM2 with an ocean view.

I would definitely want to talk with someone with some experience before I bid on a cruise. I've heard some horror stories about the kind of rooms you can get into on a cruise ship. I would imagine that you can get a great cruise at a great price (especially right now), but I would want some help.

We should probably get back to the a/c question now. I just wanted to offer Jansiemoo some help in case they need a room while the truck is getting worked on.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
We have a magnum inverter and roof top ac, ours quit thought it was the breakers too. Ended up being the breaker on the side of the inverter (white button,push to reset). Good luck

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
ah... I wouldn't worry about any Cunard liner, they won't throw you in steerage even at that price.

Other cruises I saw were Disney and a couple of the carnival things for $300.

Thanks for the info.