Robert Duvall

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
From "To Kill A Mockingbird"(1962) to the present day, is there a greater film actor alive than Robert Duvall?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
he is a great actor but im not sure hes better than these:
harrison ford
morgan freeman
robert deniro
jack nicholson
denzell washington
michael douglas
samuel l jackson
james caan
rod steiger

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
All fine actors. That Rod Steiger is/was a doozy. Very intense. As is Samuel L. Jackson. On the small screen, I am very partial to James Gandolfini. Don't you just know Tony Soprano could clean up this mess in expediting. Try cutting his rate.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
With most actors, including most of the ones on the above list, when you see them in a movie, you never forget, at least somewhere in the back of your mind, that it's them playing a role. I call these "personality" actors. For example, whether he's playing The Joker, Colonel Nathan R Jessep, Randal McMurhpy or even Jimmy Hoffa, you never forget that it's Jack Nicholson on the screen, that it's Jack playing the part of someone else. John Wayne was probably the ultimate personality actor, with Clint Eastwood being a close second. Whether he's Indiana Jones or Han Solo or Dr Richard Kimble, you still see Harrison Ford up there on that screen playing the part. There's nothing wrong with that. Nicholson is one of my favorites, so is Ford. I'm a fan of everyone on the above list.

But a true "character" actor becomes the role, their personality is lost, in the character, and in your mind, to where you actually believe they are the person on the screen. No one typifies this like Robert Duvall. He's the best there is.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
My vote is for Clint and Gene.....

the 2 best actors out there just too bad Gene has now retired.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman never made the list?
Sure, make up your own list. There's a long list of really great actors, both personality actors and character actors to be made. For me, Gene Hackman is a personality actor. Hoosiers, Unforgiven, Mississippi Burning, The Firm, even Superman, it's still Gene in there.

With Dustin Hoffman, he blurs the line between personality and character, depending on the role. It's usually him up there, but there are some roles that you completely forget it's him on the screen. One of my favorite movies of all time is Little Big Man. Dustin Hoffman was just flat out brilliant in that movie.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
For me, Robert Duvall brings such a mesmerizing authenticity to every role he plays. "Apocalypse Now"... "The Godfather"... "Lonesome Dove"... "Open Range"

Amongst the younger set, I like Edward G. Norton, Matt Damon, Kevin Costner, Reese Witherspoon. Russell Crowe shows alot of promise.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of my favorite "character" actors is James Whitmore. My favorite Duvall movie is Second Hand Lions.. Layoutshooter

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
I wouldn't say he's a better actor then Duvall, but if compiling a list I would like to add Gary Sinise.

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
I agree with with all the actors mentioned,i have to mention Val Kilmer as one my favs.I think he's outta the loop now but for about 20 yrs there he played so many lead and charactor roles were i just couldn't imagine any other actor pulling it off.That's my test can they play small roles and lead with same intensity or finese and could another actor do it.I think of Duvall in Slingblade and can't imagine another actor in that short but powerful role.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
"Slingblade" was one of the most disturbing movies I ever saw. I thought Dwight Yoakim acquitted himself well. He and I share the distinction of having been born in Pikeville,KY. His family got out of the coalfields early. Mine did not. Deep, deep in central Appalachia where sunlight must be piped in. Watch the movie "Matewan" (with James Earl Jones and Chris Cooper) to get a feel for the area. It is a good depiction of unionization efforts by the UMWA(to which my father belonged) . It is along the Kentucky/ West Virginia border. Hatfield and McCoy territory. I had relatives on both sides of that misunderstanding.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
mockingbird is one of my favorite movies. duvall was just one small part that was lead by the dignity of gregory peck as atticus.

did you ever see open range?

guido4475

Not a Member
ya know, with me being italian, and having some relatives in nyc,we just may be able to get tony soprano to represent us before all of these expediting co's as a mediator.it could work!happy days could be here again!! no more cut-rate loads.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Yes, we could coalesce around Tony's leadership. Are there any differences between expediting and waste management? Let me think... probably a vast disparity in profit margins.

dodgeboy

Seasoned Expediter
With most actors, including most of the ones on the above list, when you see them in a movie, you never forget, at least somewhere in the back of your mind, that it's them playing a role.

Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate.

Dennis hopper in Easy Rider.

Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider.

Robert Redford in Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.

John Voight in Deliverance.

Burt Reynolds in Somkey and The Bandit.

Al Pacino in Scarface.

Marlon Brando in The Godfather and Apocalypse Now.

These are some truly unforgettable actors along with some truly unforgettable performances.

You don't have to surrender your dreams to the authorities because you turned 65, all you have to do is take your retirement nestegg and buy a straight truckm, lease on with Panther, and see the country man!! ----------Dennis Hopper!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Falling Down Robert Duvall as Sargent Pendergast on his last day of work as a police detective.

The scene at the Whammy Burger is another reason I don't own a gun.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Falling Down Robert Duvall as Sargent Pendergast on his last day of work as a police detective.

The scene at the Whammy Burger is another reason I don't own a gun.

haven't seen the entire falling down but i liked the golf course scene also. every time i get a burger i see the picture of it and the reality when i open the wrapper makes me want to ask.....where is that burger, the one up there?