Ride!

tjexpress

Active Expediter
Trying to get a driver from Kewanee IL to Birminham AL. Any brother or sister truckers out there heading that way one of my drivers could sure use a lift. Thanks

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Although it is a great idea to offer the help, the law and many contracts won't allow it. I don't see a contractor paying the additional insurance and having the guy submit their SS and signature for just a ride.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Even if I was in the area, I could not help. It would void my contract. Sorry. Greyhound is a GOOD idea.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That is the type of thing that would make me leave a company. They are to cheap or don't have the capital for a bus ticket so they will have you get a ride with a complete stranger that they don't know. How are they going to know if they are setting you up to get robbed or killed?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ever notice the goofy and or the same old topics that come up from NEW posters after someone is "banned"....:rolleyes:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, the topic is goofy anyway even if the poster doesn't turn out to be previously banned. Anybody who's driven professional longer than twenty minutes knows that riders is generally a no-no. It's hard enough in some companies to get your spouse on as a rider, and even thinking of riding a total stranger--- nope, ain't gonna happen. My contract would be void before I could say "Hi, my name's Mike, how are ya".

Greyhound is the "Cheap Seats", after that air service if you have it, then the trains, then if that doesn't work call a cab--- they're paid to pick up and deliver strangers.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I once had a dispatcher ask if a customer could ride along. Before I could call in to check out the legality. a message came through to "never mind".

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I hope you got where you wanted to go. Not to sound like a rat, but expediters are not usually set up to carry passengers. This can be due to security reasons or even the lack of another place to sit. It was a rare case indeed when I picked up a couple (dozen) passengers recently. They were quiet, did not complain, never asked to stop for smoke/bathroom, and paid full fare. They were:

1. Members of "Occupy Interstates"
2. "Undocumented Guests"
3. Tour Group to Tunica
4. Laboratory Animals
5. All of the Above
mickey_animated_hitch_hiking.gif

Last edited: