rest stop scam

captain

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just want to warn you guys, the scam artists are active along I-75 in Kentucky. Watch for four men driving a small grey or silver car, two in their mid 50's and two in their mid thirties. They park in the truck parking area of the rest stops and according to drivers one of the younger men approach you and tell you some driver just won the lottery and is almost giving away his money. He then leads you over between a couple of big rigs where the "driver" shows three cards, two red and one black, then turns them face down on a piece of cardboard, then turns the cardboard slowly a couple of turns. The "driver" then says "show me a red card", and the "players" bet $20 on which card is red, which, at this point, is easy to tell. Of course the "players" are part of the scam, so they are all winning. The unsuspecting driver is lured into the game, and it quickly becomes a high stakes game with $100 bets. By a "slight of hand" trick, the "pigeon" will draw the black card and lose. The week before Easter, they were in the Kentucky welcome center on the northbound side of I-75, at the Tenn/Kentucky state line.
Be Careful !!
Captain

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I encountered that in West memphis one time. The game is known as "Three card monte". It is very much a scam. These people frequent places where truckers congregate.

Many guillible drivers over the years have fallen prey to these games. Its sad.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What go around comes around!!! The reason I say this is I saw that very thing one day, and a Driver approached me and ask me to be a part of his pay-back scam. He got 5 of us bigger drivers and we all went to the TCM stand. The driver said he would make a bet but he wanted to be the one to turn over the card. All was agreed and when the driver turned over the card it was a winner. The thieves were pissed and tried to BS their way out of paying the bet, but did because it was only a $50. Next go round the stakes got heavy and as the dealer did his thing the guy holding the money was trying to slide away, but being surrounded by 5 big drivers doesn’t make that so easy. As it went the driver picked the winner and we all got paid. The scammers didn’t want any part of 5 that now turned into 9 angry drivers.

See!!! The driver had big hands and he had very good control. When picking up the card he somehow made a switch and now showed a winning card.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Woo Hoo Scammer gets scammed! Too bad a liberal application of say 4000 volts AC could not be fed to those scam artists. Twice. Daily.

Does it show that I really dislike crooks? :p

--
Mike N