Respect for the dead?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Driving in Smyrna, Tn, yesterday, on a divided highway, when 5-6 vehicles ahead of me pulled off to the shoulder at the same time.
Seeing no reason for it, I kept moving. Then I saw the funeral procession, on the other side of the median.
I don't think the law requires drivers to pull over on a divided highway, and they never do for a brokedown & happy hooker, or an LEO with a customer, so was it just a respect for the dead thing?

I felt guilty for not joining them, but I never saw that before. :confused:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Driving in Smyrna, Tn, yesterday, on a divided highway, when 5-6 vehicles ahead of me pulled off to the shoulder at the same time.
Seeing no reason for it, I kept moving. Then I saw the funeral procession, on the other side of the median.
I don't think the law requires drivers to pull over on a divided highway, and they never do for a brokedown & happy hooker, or an LEO with a customer, so was it just a respect for the dead thing?

I felt guilty for not joining them, but I never saw that before. :confused:

I was raised in Tn. Yes, it is done here in Chattanooga, yes I to pull over, yes it can be annoying and get on your nerves, but I have to remember , its where I am from, so I get over it fast. It is a thing of respect.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a tradition that started with the horse and buggy processionals. It's a tradition that lingers in some areas. I'm not aware of any state with a law that says you are to pull over to allow a funeral procession to pass. In most states you'll get a ticket if you cut into one or cut across one, though (emergency vehicle excepted, of course). In some regions of the country it's expected, in other regions you're likely to cause an accident if you pull over.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We've also seen this in different parts of the country and try to obey local customs...but sometimes it just isn't possible.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
lol why don't they do this for the birth of a child to wish him or her into this world

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
My mother passed away in KY two years ago. I had never seen this before until then. It was pretty touching for the family to see this kind of respect. Some people even got out of their cars and bowed their heads.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
What you experienced was a big ole helping of "Southern Hospitaility". We will treat you so many ways that you have to like one of them.

Seriously, it is "respect", which is taught to us from birth.

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
Still common here. I assume it is on all parts of the south. When I was a child, we got out of the car when the funeral procession passed. Once I forgot and left my hat on. My dad "reminded" me in a way that I never forgot that the hat comes off while they pass!

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Still common here. I assume it is on all parts of the south. When I was a child, we got out of the car when the funeral procession passed. Once I forgot and left my hat on. My dad "reminded" me in a way that I never forgot that the hat comes off while they pass!

Exactly. I was taught this as a child.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Heck, I knew a man in the Ohio River valley that took his hat and made the sign of the cross off every time he passed a cemetery.

I don't think pulling over for funeral processions is just a thing in the south, though it may well be more common there. I've seen it in northern Ohio when I lived there years ago, I've seen it New England, I've seen it a lot of places.

In some (maybe all?) states funeral processions simply have the legal right of way, and for that reason a lot of drivers have come to think they should pull over, simply to avoid being ticketed, not just for respect.

I have no doubt though, that it all started out of respect for the dead.

There was a case up in MI somewhere when I was there a couple years ago about a Jimmy John's delivery driver who got ticketed more than once for cutting through funeral processions, which started a lot of local questioning of what was proper, respectful, and legal.

Interesting how traditions morph and evolve and their meaning often gets lost.

Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Always have seen this in the South, never in the Northern states. I ask my Dad why are we pulling over, back when I was a young pup. He said it was the last time that person will be shown some respect. Most all pull over and if safe, get out with lowered heads. My Mom would tell my Dad to pull over, as he was pulling over. lol

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And another Northerner blows through town with no respect for Dixie. lol.

Hush your mouth, Snowstorm - I lived in the south for a lotta years, and always preferred it. Still do. :p
I wouldn't have minded pulling over, either, because funerals are like handicap parking spaces: I am grateful that I don't have any right to take that spot.
I still find it amazing that I never saw it before, anywhere, but I promise to pull over next time, because it's a nice thing to do.
I hope I'm never in that much of a hurry that I need to worry about it.
;)