request an automatic?

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Hey guys, total noob here. Ive been reading through the forum for the last few weeks and im learning a lot, but I have a question that I haven't come across in my researching. Ok, kind of embarrassing, but I cant drive a stick. Well, I have a few times in a car, but im defiantly not comfortable enough with it to say I actually "know how". So, first, do you get a class B cdl from a truck school the same as you would a class A? I know a lot of straights have automatics, unlike tractors, so are people able to request automatics? Thanks.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey guys, total noob here. Ive been reading through the forum for the last few weeks and im learning a lot, but I have a question that I haven't come across in my researching. Ok, kind of embarrassing, but I cant drive a stick. Well, I have a few times in a car, but im defiantly not comfortable enough with it to say I actually "know how". So, first, do you get a class B cdl from a truck school the same as you would a class A? I know a lot of straights have automatics, unlike tractors, so are people able to request automatics? Thanks.
Tractors come with automatics now also, but to answer your question you get whatever class CDL by whatever truck you use for your test. At least that is in Ohio

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, you don't need to go to truck driving school to get a Class B CDL. Get a learner's permit, practice driving one, pass the written test, pass the skills test. Done.

Yes, you can request automatics. A particular fleet owner may or may not have one needing a driver. Rather than looking at it as requesting automatics, just tell a prospective fleet owner your qualifications and he'll know if he can use you. Or, bring your own truck and you won't have to deal with those people.

Reactions: TDave and neilblack

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
No, you don't need to go to truck driving school to get a Class B CDL. Get a learner's permit, practice driving one, pass the written test, pass the skills test. Done.

Yes, you can request automatics. A particular fleet owner may or may not have one needing a driver. Rather than looking at it as requesting automatics, just tell a prospective fleet owner your qualifications and he'll know if he can use you. Or, bring your own truck and you won't have to deal with those people.

So I guess I just get it through the bmv then? How do I practice driving a class b truck when I don't have my class b license yet? Can I use a truck under 26,001 #s to take the skills test?

Thanks for the info on the automatics, I wasent sure how common they were among the fleet owners. Im sure not going to be buying my own straight anytime soon. What im thinking is to drive for a fleet owner for at least a year or two before I make a large investment like that. Speaking of which, when getting signed on, I see most people want at least 6 months experience. How is a lowly little guy like myself to get on with anyone? Do I just have to grab at the first person who will work with me until I get some time under my belt and am able to sign with a more reputable carrier? "paying my dues" so to speak.

Reactions: neilblack

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't believe you can use a truck under 26K. I believe they have hydraulic brakes, you need air brakes. You can team with someone to get the experience you need.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
You can not use an under 26k truck for a cdl test, even if it has air brakes, and yes there are lots of under cdl that have air brakes, I know I've always had them since my first truck back in the late 80's

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Ok, thanks for the info guys. Im probably just going to go to a truck school that supplies the truck for you. I don't know anyone with a class B truck, so I guess I don't really have any other choice.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can not use an under 26k truck for a cdl test...
Weeeeellllll, I took my CDL test in a Ford E-350. But that was for a Class C (any vehicle that's not an A or a B, but halls HAZMAT).

Whatever class of vehicle you use to take your skills (road) test, that's the class of CDL you're gonna get.

If you take your skills test in a Class B truck that doesn't have air brakes, you'll get a Class B CDL with an air brake restriction.

If you take your skills test in an under 26,000 truck, you'll get a Class C CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement (assuming you've passed the HAZMAT written test).

The way you practice driving a Class B truck without a Class B CDL is with a CDL learner's permit, and a Class A or B CDL holder sitting in the passenger seat.

You can also get some good practice by renting the largest Uhaul you can find and driving it, forward and backwards a lot. You'll still need an actual Class B truck for the skills test, tho.

If you don't know anyone with a Class B truck to let you take the skills test, then your options are more limited.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I never thought you could get a cdl for a smart car , interesting
If you haul HAZMAT in it which requires placarding, you don't have a choice. The CDL is for the driver. Only the Class (A, B or C) is for the vehicle.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess im old , I learned to drive on a world war 2 5 ton with a tri plex un less
there loging trucks now adays u cant hardly find one.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
back in the day I would get a copy of dl and make sure everything is straight on it any ticket less than 3 yrs old is a red flag for any of the big companys,maby some of the smaller co. will hire you. I know panther is a little more strickt than others, same with landstar,keep plugging away some one may need you ,good luck.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
You can also get some good practice by renting the largest Uhaul you can find and driving it, forward and backwards a lot. You'll still need an actual Class B truck for the skills test, tho.

If you don't know anyone with a Class B truck to let you take the skills test, then your options are more limited.

That's what im going to have to do. I wish I knew someone, but I don't, so Penske it is. Im assuming if I go through a truck school to get it, they will have a class B vehicle. Ill have to look into it. I guess im going to have to drive the hell out of a rental truck, then hope for the best on the test.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
back in the day I would get a copy of dl and make sure everything is straight on it any ticket less than 3 yrs old is a red flag for any of the big companys,maby some of the smaller co. will hire you. I know panther is a little more strickt than others, same with landstar,keep plugging away some one may need you ,good luck.

I should be good on that. I haven't looked yet, but my mvr should be clean.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Easiest way is find a school that has a class B and offers the test in that vehicle, for me it was a bus, so got passenger endorsement at same time. It was a few hours deal, show up at appointment time, learn the bus, practice a bit in the yard, take it on the road and practice the route the test will be on. When ready they put an examiner (different person) onboard and you drive the route and then leave with a CDL-B. Prior to the day at the school you have to take the written exam and have a CDL permit plus have a DOT medical card and a pee test. I had some experience driving a Class A off-road mostly years previous (pre CDL days actually when all it took was a Chauffeurs License), BUT no recent experience AND had never driven a "B" vehicle prior to the test day, so depending on your background it may be pretty easy, certainly I didn't feel the need to get a rental truck and practice a ton, YMMV. If you aren't used to backing with mirrors and driving a large vehicle then I suspect a bit of practice might be required.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Ive never driven anything bigger than a cargo van, so I would feel better practicing. A chauffers to drive a big rig, huh? Man that's crazy. I have a chauffers and I wouldn't be comfortable with me on the road, behind the wheel of one of those monsters.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
A chauffers to drive a big rig, huh? Man that's crazy. I have a chauffers and I wouldn't be comfortable with me on the road, behind the wheel of one of those monsters.

Pre 1986 there was no such thing as a CDL in the USA, in Oregon pre 1986 all that was needed legally to drive a CMV was what Oregon called a Chauffeurs License, no drive test, as I recall only an additional written test. The standards likely varied from state to state and there was no minimum standard for operating CMV, thus the CDL was birthed to add 50 state consistency with some minimum standards to operate a CMV. If I had of kept that Chauffeurs License active, I believe I would of grandfathered into a CDL in 1986, BUT I had already let it go by then. I had it originally as I worked in the woods summers while in college and had the need to move heavy equipment on a truck and lowboy trailer between job sites, all in state, no over the road or hardly anything more than county or state highways, lots of the moves were dirt forest service roads. That was my Class A experience when I took the CDL B about 35 years later. Oh, there was a few truck and trailers on ranches moving hay from the field to the barn so I guess all that helped as far as being used to the size of vehicles. Really the Class B test is pretty easy, mostly just be used to backing with mirrors and the size, most of those test vehicles are probably going to be an automatic, not much different than driving a car...

Edit to add that the CDL act of 1986 didn't become effective until 1992, so you could of driven a CMV until 1992 without a CDL, guess I am getting old, I hadn't driven a CMV for 15 years by 1992, LOL. It was 2013 when I got my CDL-B so a lot of time lapsed.

Last edited:

Lnzy1

New Recruit
Driver
So I guess I just get it through the bmv then? How do I practice driving a class b truck when I don't have my class b license yet? Can I use a truck under 26,001 #s to take the skills test?

I rented a large uhaul truck a few times to practice driving around, backing up, and such. It really helps to get a feel for how a large vehicle behaves when you haven't a clue. When I took my test, I used a smallish truck that had air breaks. It belonged to a guy who trains people to take the test and supplied them his truck to use.