Rental fee as driver for fleet owner/company?

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
I'm considering driving a straight truck for a fleet owner, possibly a company owned truck. They advised me there is a $25/week rental fee. What is that all about?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm considering driving a straight truck for a fleet owner, possibly a company owned truck. They advised me there is a $25/week rental fee. What is that all about?
Ya really should be asking them what it is for.

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
They basically said it was "a rental fee for the truck." I'll ask them what it rly is. But typically what other expenses should a driver have each week, not including fuel? I understand there's a weekly insurance expense that comes out. No Qualcomm fees here. But what else ya think?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I would run far and fast
that doesn't sound right
that would be like leasing a truck from the company you drive for
and they would control everything you do
best thing to do is own the unit yourself

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure but is this some sort of tax loophole ?

Could be. It's been years since I've heard of anyone doing this. But might be how he shows/proves your not an employee since your "renting" the truck from him.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Could be. It's been years since I've heard of anyone doing this. But might be how he shows/proves your not an employee since your "renting" the truck from him.
Mayfield Express (Buno's outfit powered by Sundeck, whatever "powered by" means), at least at one time, I don't know if they still are, charged rent for things like ratchet straps and other securements, as a means of being able to insist they have no employer-controls over those who drive for them. There is no actual tax basis for doing this. A $25 weekly truck rental fee is a money grab. And, unless there is a separate rental agreement, or the agreement isn't spelled out int he lease, adding a rental fee could put the owner at a much greater liability risk than if the fee is not present. The owner could be held liable for the renter's misuse, unsafe use, or reckless use of the equipment unless such terms are expressly enumerated in the rental agreement.

Reactions: intransit and Moot

tknight

Veteran Expediter
While my current truck is being frankensteined back together I'm borrowing one from one of my pimps . My insurance carrier told me I'm better off renting it at a small fee to cover it under my hired vehicles clause that I use for Penske or Ryder when I need extra show trucks
Insurance is so complex and twisted in their favor sometimes!