Recovering my stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
I drove a straight truck with an Panther O/O for two months and we got along very well, or so I thought. in mid June I went home for four days of home time after being out for four weeks. We agreed he would call me after the four days off and determine where to meet up.
He did not call and would not answer my calls for ten days. When he finally did answer my call he said his brother told him he needed to team up with someone who did not need home time and he had found someone. Fortunately I did receive all my pay except for $50 and two weeks of AIG deductions even though I did not drive . I left a mattress and sheets, a picnic table and two chairs, $70 in groceries, 100 mp3's, and a few other personal items. He also owes me $100 I foolishly loaned him. My question: How can I get my belongings back. Is Panther the answer, if so, who? Between this O/O and his brother they control 26 trucks. Would it help to disclose their names and their S.C. locations?
I would appreciate any advice offered.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Would it help to disclose their names and their S.C. locations?

No. Not wise...and a violation of our Code of Conduct.

Sorry to hear of your troubles - I know you will hear some good advice from the EO Nation on how to get your property back.

I would like for you to PM me if that fleet owner uses our classifieds.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I drove a straight truck with an Panther O/O for two months and we got along very well, or so I thought. in mid June I went home for four days of home time after being out for four weeks. We agreed he would call me after the four days off and determine where to meet up.
He did not call and would not answer my calls for ten days. When he finally did answer my call he said his brother told him he needed to team up with someone who did not need home time and he had found someone. Fortunately I did receive all my pay except for $50 and two weeks of AIG deductions even though I did not drive . I left a mattress and sheets, a picnic table and two chairs, $70 in groceries, 100 mp3's, and a few other personal items. He also owes me $100 I foolishly loaned him. My question: How can I get my belongings back.
Without knowing any more, my guess is you probably won't, unless you take him to small claims court, and can prove ownership.You didn't say whether the subject was discussed, though, so it's hard to guess.
Is Panther the answer, if so, who?
Panther will not get involved. Their contract is with the owner, not with you. I'd personally want to let them know, politely, because I think they should - but that's just me.
Between this O/O and his brother they control 26 trucks. Would it help to disclose their names and their S.C. locations?
There's enough here for an interested party to figure out who they are - I wouldn't add anything more. [No doubt, they have a different story to tell].
Biggest question: did you have a contract, and if so, did you follow it?

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
He agreed to return it during that one phone call but it has not happened.
I asked for a contract at the start and he said write one up and I will consider it. He assured me that he always operated purely on verbal contracts with his other drivers and various teams in his other trucks. Much to their chagrin I am sure.
Being new, I didn't know what it should include so NO there was not a written contract. That will not happen again. Even with a contract there is no assurance you won't be stiffed.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You are correct - but with a contract, you have something to take to court, should it come to that.
As he agreed to return your belongings, I'd be persistent in asking "When?" and offering to meet him half way, or go all the way - getting them back is all you want, no?
It's a learning experience, that's for sure.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
STOP
Get a lawyer, and ask one question;

Should I consider this stolen property and file a police report.

Reactions: 1 person

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To answer one of your questions, panther is not really the answer. They do not get involved in pay disputes etc. What you can do is call the and in a professional manner let them know your side of the story. If they hear it from multiple people that drive for those owners they may terminate their contract. They might though help you find another owner to drive for if that is something you want to do.

I just cannot picture someone with that many trucks having no contracts?

Redneckinc

Seasoned Expediter
i had almost the same problem with a company owned by a so called friend

my truck broke down on a trip it was a rental truck they towed it to a repair shop and gave me a loaner with no sleeper i took what i could in the cab but left the big stuff microwave, fridge, power inverter, all in 1 printer and bedding and odds and ends in the truck a week later still driving loaner i ended up in hospital with chest pains ( from job related stress ) when i got home 2 days later loaner truck was taken out of my driveway a note in my mail box said if i wasnt driving someone else will ( apperently hospital is nt a good reason to be off )called the company and asked about my stuff in other truck they said they aren getting that truck back and they dont know what happend to contents

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If in fact that was a rental truck that you were driving that broke down,if it were on a long term lease,owner might have lied,but if in fact it ws just a rental,not long term,he could be right,saying he doesn't know where your stuff is.I'd call the place they towed the truck

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i would not blame this on Panther..... its the truck owner.
when a owner ask to borrow a $100 ........ something is not right with that picture.
thatgs when i would of started looking for someone else to drive for.....
i been with Panther almost 5 yrs now.... and have never ever had to loan a owner money.
just my 2 cents.

hope your get your stuff back

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
STOP
Get a lawyer, and ask one question;

Should I consider this stolen property and file a police report.

Check out legalzoom.com. They will set up the whole small claims paperwork for I think $60. Tells you what to do. Starts out with a Demand Letter. Moves to Small Claims. Tell them what you are missing and estimated dollar amount. They will write the Demand Letter and court filing. The minute your former employer gets the Demand Letter, he knows you are no longer standing around whining. If the Demand Letter doesn't work, the subpoena to join you in front of the judge will certainly change his/her opinion. Good luck.

Angil82

Seasoned Expediter
As soon as someone keeps something that they KNOW does not belong to them it is theft. If he is keeping your belongings from you, knowing that they are yours it is theft. It is a latin term called Men Rea which means Guilty Mind. If he had the belongings, and did not know they were yours, that was one thing, but as soon as you made him aware, it turns into stolen property, and he is in possession of it. If you are concerned about it, contact an attorney, or his local court and or police department. I went through the same thing with an owner operator at panther. I decided that it wasn't worth my time to pursue it,but that is all up to you.

guido4475

Not a Member
I can see where you are coming from by not wanting to take the time to deal with taking someone to court.I have done the same thing myself,and unfortunately, this is what the other party is hoping for, that we wont feel like dealing with it, so they can get away with it.(the theft of whatever)

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
I drove a straight truck with an Panther O/O for two months and we got along very well, or so I thought. I thought we got along greatin mid June I went home for four days of home time after being out for four weeks. We agreed he would call me after the four days off and determine where to meet up.Two things here, 1)You were going home for 4-5 days, coming back for 6 days, going home for 2 weeks to visit with the grandkids, coming back for 2 weeks and then you were done with your "90 days just to say I did it" 2) Wasn't it YOU who said if I found someone that was gonna be around longer then go ahead and use them? I dont see that anywhere in your post.
He did not call and would not answer my calls for ten days.Guilty, Kinda. It was about a week. 5 days of which you werent expecting to hear from me. When he finally did answer my call he said his brother told him he needed to team up with someone who did not need home time Please Larry, you know thats bull. He said someone who wasnt quitting mid july with most of that time trying to get you home and then back in the truckand he had found someone. Fortunately I did receive all my pay except for $50 and two weeks of AIG deductions even though I did not drive . I left a mattress and sheets, a picnic table and two chairs, $70 in groceries, 100 mp3's, and a few other personal items. Most of this is true but the groceries is a bit of a stretch dont you think?He also owes me $100 I foolishly loaned him. I wont get into the money here except to say about $100 sounds right and you will get it My question: How can I get my belongings back. The answer here is simple, I took your stuff out at the shop so a strange driver would not be messing with it. I explained to you on the phone that I would be sending it to you as soon as I got back home. You know I stay out until I get close to home and only deadhead when it is really needed. (you know, like getting you home before miss dixie shot us both) I have not made it home yet but the minute I do I will box up everything but the matress(much to big to mail) and send it out to you.Is Panther the answer, if so, who? Between this O/O and his brother they control 26 trucks. Would it help to disclose their names and their S.C. locations?I think I took care of that one for you

Now that I have addressed the post there are a couple things I would like to say.

My phone number was changed(you knew that was gonna be happening real soon. I wont post it here but our mutual friend will give it to you) You asked me once what I thought your bigest problem was and I told you "patience". You know I stay out long stretches. I didnt think a few cd's and a couple chairs that you said were past ready to be replaced was so important for me to deadhead home and get them in the mail. I still dont either, and I dont think that is the issue here. I think this falls under "principle". Feel free to correct me here.
I am suprised you wanted to do this in the open forum, that one is beneath you. A PM would have gotten you my number and we could have handled it that way. In any case, I wish you all the best in your van experience and will get you your things and the $100 as soon as I get home.

As for the rest of you, Good advice based on the information you had, but as someone pointed out, you only have one side. Now you have both. Larry really is a great guy, just a little frustrated at the moment and with good reason I guess. As for me, I am just a pain in the rear, just check out the sig. :)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Now thats the way to set things straight on forumns like this,,Nice job Tempest,, owning up without trashing the guy,,explaining things in the open when some of us didnt have a clue who he was talking bout..
All seems more then fair to me..but I dont enter into this.So Ill shut up,,,, just working on my post count here,,sory to butt in

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Sides of the story stated, discussion handled well, but it really shouldn't have involved the forum. The 2 parties should take the rest of the discussion to PM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.