Rear Overhang

willymutt

Seasoned Expediter
How much rear overhang do you have with your box? Is it single or tandem axle? How much weight do you haul and what are the axle weights? We are trying to determine if we can get by without moving the axle and swapping out a 22' box for a 26' box.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Willi: I'd bet you'll be some over 40 foot with a 26, and, it'll be begging for a tag. Wouldn't do it unless you have a 36 inch sleeper and a very long wheelbase and ALWAYS haul light stuff.
Now, having typed that, what is your motivation to do this, and what you got that you're doing it with?? Gotta have some info, if, you want it back thats any good.

willymutt

Seasoned Expediter
This will be tagged as an RV. We are allowed 45', so that won't be an issue. We would be hauling about 10k though and sometimes a trailer with 500# tongue weight.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I seem to have the same rear, and front, overhang whether in my box, my cab or just on the ground.... oh.... that's not what you meant. :+ Seriously though, as already noted, you may have CG issues adding that much overhang as well as swing issues in turns and underloading the steers. I'm not sure who could do the calculations for you to be certain it would be safe.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Willymutt

You've piqued my curiosity. Will you be hauling freight for hire in your 45' RV plated truck?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
it going to be like a toy hauler terry. i'm not sure but i think this is the same person that was wanting to have a sleeper on the truck big enough to pull the bed out of it and convert it where 4 people can ride in it. with so much of the weight on the drive and then that trailer they will be lite on the steers. they better be carefull about not running to fast in the rain cause i could see them losing control quick. they may need to stretch the truck a lil more so the rear axle will be further back thus putting more weight on the steers.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Yea, I checked back a few threads and found it to be a personal use vehicle for totin rockclimbers and their gear