Real Answers

jmlaber

Seasoned Expediter
I also hear that Panther micro manages you and calls you constantly while under load, if you stop for a break...some people like this, some don't

The only time Panther did this to me was when I was carrying a "Spotlight" load where the customer dictated direct delivery, logged into Panther's site to monitor my progress, and called Panther to ask why I stopped. Panther told me for those loads you should be proactive and call Panther to let them know when you're stopping, the reason for the stop, and how long you're stopping for.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here is a bit of advice -

stick with the tractor.

The reason is that you will compete with vans in a van, vans and other straight trucks in a stright and with a tractor and floor space, you can capture more than just chasing pennies.

TerryMDay

Active Expediter
Here is a bit of advice -

stick with the tractor.

The reason is that you will compete with vans in a van, vans and other straight trucks in a stright and with a tractor and floor space, you can capture more than just chasing pennies.

Agreed. I'm trading the stress of a log book, DOT, FMSCA, CSA for the stress of no money and a tight budget.

I'd rather deal with the government and make money than deal with "chasing pennies".

It really isn't a good trade off. I like money too much.

My mind is not completely made up, but I don't think Expedite is going to be profitable.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
one thing to remember..i was in both. if u go straight truck u have more comfort to start with. go with sprinter or van u should have money to buy comfort things like air conditioner or heater, micro fridge, etc. thats just my thought...dennis

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well if I had to do this all over again, I would have gotten my class A, do the OTR for a year and jump right into this with my own tractor and trailer. When others are slow, ltl can keep it moving and with 3 to 4 miles difference between a straight and T/T setup, that extra floor space does justify the added expense.

I learned a couple years back what can really be done in this business and many here won't say or don't know what that is because they depend on their company for the work.

Greg336

Active Expediter
I just left load1 a few months ago because I was only averaging maybe 1 decent load a week, sure they will offer you a local almost once a day that will pay $100 to 125 total, that's with the fuel surcharge it doesn't add up to much.

TerryMDay

Active Expediter
I really appreciate all the answers that everyone has given.

I have decided to stay away from the expedite type business.

Even at the rates and miles that recruiters are giving me, the money is pretty sad.

When I read posts about guys sitting for weeks in Texas, I realize that expedite is more of an expensive hobby that a real, money making, job.

Like I said before, the numbers are sad at best and tragic at worst.

Again, thanks for all the time for the replies to my questions. This is not the business for me.

Too risky. I'll take my 80k pound truck and my log book and head down the road now. :)

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
There are a few on here with Bolt, also check with ChefDennis, he was on with Bolt in the past...From what I hear Anne is a straight shooter :)

I also hear that Panther micro manages you and calls you constantly while under load, if you stop for a break...some people like this, some don't

thats funny I did 3 panther loads last week and never got called once along the way.
1 bolt load this week and driver says they constantly called.

dont bother me either way as long as I get paid.