Rand-McNally Intelliroute TND 500

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
chefdennis

First off,, Let me say Rand cannot confirm nor deny the existence of a 7" TND. Until any Information if it does exist is released by Rand, I am bound by an NDA.

Updates. Rand has made it possible to obtain your POI updates, POI Global updates and construction updates via the web on the TND Dock. You are not updating the actual operating software, but the little things that are always being corrected or added.

The Tnd Dock being nothing more than a Dashboard on your computer for updating.

Currently about every 30-45 days a new version is released. This corrects prior issues and adds new features.

Most updates only take about five or so minutes. All the Beta Testers to include myself hold an CDL. So we know that you may be on the road for 3-6 weeks at a time. By making the updating over the web allows you to stay current on your TND.

This is not a daily thing, but can be done once a week.

New mapping data will be released in a few months and how you will get your updated mapping data is being talked about at Rand.

Rand understands not everyone is part of the "Nerd Herd" and has come up with a way to allow easy and painless updating.

The TND is very robust, with lots of new features in the pipeline. O\O are being looked at for their own section to help in your record keeping.

As stated in other forums, I do not discuss the pros\cons of the TND to other navigation devices. It is not professional.

DieselBoss does have reviews on navigation devices. He is currently reviewing the 7" model of our competitor.

Nothing will ever be perfect, but as in the other forum mentioned Rand welcomes any comments\concerns on the TND.

If you find mapping that is not correct as in ramps being detoured around, roadways showing restricted, etc, etc. Let Rand know so the mapping data can be corrected.

Truckers have long complained that no one listens to them. Rand has given you a voice. Not as a Beta Tester, but as an consumer. Let Rand know your comments\concerns, bad mapping or ideas for features.

Rand has committed to this product and to you the professional driver.

Thanks,
Mark

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
Im glad there was an update for the warnings cause mine
was constantly telling me now crossing state border glad
that is fixed

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
cannedmeat27

This must have been in Quebec. 1472 did not have the fix yet for this log issue. Rand is still working on this.

Rand will try to have this fix in it's next version release.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Ifta

In working on features with the TND, Rand has to make sure they are in agreement with IFTA.

I have contacted IFTA and they send me a link to their IFTA Procedures Manual.

http://www.iftach.org/manuals/2008/PM/Procedures Manual - Final - January 2008.pdf

If you wish to save the PDF then go to the top of the PDF - and click on the computer disk to save. Watch the name it will assign. It puts the link URL as the Name, so you might want to rename before you save.

I called the website to make sure posting of the Link was okay.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Rand does sell other mapping software, but it does have certain limitations.

If you PM me I can let you know what that is.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Yes my state border crossing warnings was when i went into
quebec couple of days ago

It is an oddball bug... if you look at your timers\logs and tab over to logs... look at Quebec... you will see what I mean.

Thanks,
Mark

P.S. what routes do you normally take through Quebec?
I can put the city to city and run my unit in demo mode to see what my logs will show..

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
cannedmeat27

I ran the 1600 mile demo today and do see the log mileage errors.

I passed this on to Rand.

Thanks,
Mark

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
I dont know who suggested the automatic zoom feature
That is a terrible idea in my opinion
Mine was always staying zoomed out so i had to turn
off the feature and zoom in where i liked and where it would stay

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
cannedmeat27

The intend was whatever level you are at,,when you get close to a turn that it was supposed to zoom in closer the closer you got ... and when the turn was done to zoom back to your orginal level.

It is causing a slight issue. Rand is working on how best to work this zoom feature.

Thanks,
Mark

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: cannedmeat27

We used the TND our last run. Didn't think that the one we have been using would be a good bet for the inner city of Chicago with all it's low bridges. So we used it right from the pickup through to the end. First off it shaved 30 miles off the run. Worked alot better than the Pro Miler one ( IOHO),We could understand the voice. A few kinks at least we think they are.. were when you make a wrong turn it reroutes you from there, the other one we had urged us to make a U-turn (this could be a better option, but it could also add miles, it's a toss-up), It said the road on I94/I80 in Indiana with a couple truckstops on it is truck restricted, exit with TA. Anyway possible we can change the colour of the truck to make it ours?
You know other than those little things we are very pleased with it. The horizon, and different compass angles are helpful, the graphics are nice, the brightness at night seems muted from the other one we had, which is a bonus. Over all we are pleased we purchased it.

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
ConfusedMuse

If this is x6 on I-80, Rand knows about,,, NavTeq has the main street at the bottom of the ramp set to 14k limit..bad data... it will show right in the map update..

Thanks,
mark

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
Once the zoom feature is fixed it might be something worth trying
Since i have kept mine updated it does seem to work a lot better

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
cannedmeat27

After much discussion, Rand feels that they have what will suit a majority of the drivers to their needs for the Zoom feature.

I cannot say much, but it looks good so far.

Thanks,
Mark

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
Mark,

Thanks for all your help here. It is very much appreciated!

My wife and I just completed a 2000 mile trip in our car up to Port Huron, MI, to get our FAST cards for Canada. Because we had been looking for a new truck owner, we decided that we would take the TND along and try to meet up with prospective owners on the way back. This trip turned out to be very fruitful in all ways.

The TND was, in a word, AMAZING! It navigated without flaw, the entire trip. I switched back and forth between car and truck modes during the trip, just for fun. While in car mode, it still retained and updated all the driver's log info for truck mode--even if switching back and forth. It warned me of state border crossings ahead of time without fail, and noted as I crossed borders accurately. The same for weigh stations. The trip miles were without fail.

It routed us to the Port Huron Nexus office very accurately. When we were done, I opened up the Point Of Interest (POI) page to look for a decent hotel. It gave us many choices, to include phone numbers, so I could call and check rates and discounts. Nice feature. We selected one, selected the "Route To" button, and it took us straight there. I looked up the nearest Wal-Mart and again no problem. All along our route, I used the POI menus to find gas stations and restaurants. Flawless.

On the way back, we needed to find a truck dealer in Detroit to look at a prospective owner's truck. We had no directions, just the name. I pulled up the POI menu, selected "Truck Dealers", and quickly found the dealer. I selected that dealer, selected the "Route To" button, and it brought up the route on the map and took us through Detroit and right into the dealer's gate. Nice.

We used it to find a quick route through KY to find a truck stop so we could meet with another prospective owner. Again, flawless. I was able to accurately tell when we would be there for our meeting.

I used it to find another hotel. A breeze.

All our stops for fuel were found using the POI menus, as well as for "Potty Breaks". (A MUST for the ladies who drive so well with us as expeditors.)

Finally, on our way back, my wife was having cravings for some mexican food. So, again, the POI gave us many choices. I selected one, asked for the route, and off we went.

I had ABSOLUTELY no problems with this unit.

Another great feature---were all the warnings about lane changes, merges and exits. It always told us to bear left or right, zoomed into 3D mode for the exit, and made all turns UNMISTAKEABLE! It gave us the number of lanes available for the turnoff. In the very busiest of metro traffic, it was dead-on on all warnings of lane mergers, splits, and whether to bear left or right to avoid merging traffic. It was never late, nor too early in its warning. So, while my wife and I were deep in a discussion, and I was somewhat distracted, the TND told me very loud and clear that my turn was coming, or to bear left or right, or take one of two lanes to the left, etc. It just made the trip as stress-free as possible. Mission accomplished, for a navigation device.

As for data updates-----I would MUCH RATHER have a unit that is updated regularly, than to have to just LIVE with a flawed unit for the rest of its expected life, with no option EVER than to have to be forced to buy another one later. No unit will ever be made that is without flaw in some way.

The more I use the TND, the more happy I am with this purchase.

Last edited:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I have been shopping around for the TND so far it appears it is only sold at the truck stops price of $399 at some truck stops and most at price of $499 I have checked at the big box stores Walmart and Best Buy but they dont carry it at least the stores I stopped at to check anyway planning to dump my old GPS soon for a TND just trying to find as low a price as possible money is still tight right now, too bad lifetime updates are not included in the price