Ram's new cargo van...

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I'm liking the Dodge Ram ProMaster a lot more than the Ford Transit. I don't mind the front end looks, to be honest, and think it helps distinguish it from being as much of a Sprinter clone as the Transit seems. I like the overall look of it more.

The front wheel drive would take some getting used to for me, especially in winter and hard braking. First time I ever came down a steep snowy country road in a front wheel drive car and braked like I'd been used to, I did a full 360. Stopped right at the stop sign facing the right direction, but I'll never forget the experience.

I don't like the side slider(s) though, on either ProMaster or Transit, and much prefer the barn door style.

I'm wondering about the GVWs too. Why only 9350# in the LWB High Roof Ext?

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
I just can't get past the Ugly of the Promaster. I saw 3 of them on I-75 north of Flint a couple of weeks ago (testing I'm sure). UGLY!! I like the Ford Transit much better for looks alone.

I'm driving a front drive Dodge Minivan now (as a courier) and it's great in the winter even fully loaded.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I didn't see 4900# anywhere, though saw 4280# max payload for those powered by gas engines. Presumably less payload for diesel powered, as they are typically heavier. Might mean little to some, but the more leftover wiggle room when adding floor, e-track, bunk space, house batts, AC, and personal belongings, etc, the better.

Even if it doesn't matter, I still wonder why they would not get as close to the 10,000 GVW max as possible.

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
I'm thinking those front axles and U-joints better be top grade and super strong though. That's the weak link in front wheel drive, especially in a tough service situation. I wouldn't buy the first year of this one.

Fiat's sold millions, and they have a pretty good reputation, and Chrysler upgraded pretty much everything, from frame to brakes, to drivetrain. Seriously, I doubt it will be any big issue.

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
I don't like the side slider(s) though, on either ProMaster or Transit, and much prefer the barn door style.

I'm curious about why you don't like the sliders. Also, who is going to worry about that last 650 lbs that much? The fact is, the van is definitely going to carry more under 10K than the competitors. I seriously doubt i'd worry about exceeding 9350 lbs now and then by a little.

They say that properly loaded, it's about 50/50 weight distribution while loaded.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

I'm curious about why you don't like the sliders. Also, who is going to worry about that last 650 lbs that much? The fact is, the van is definitely going to carry more under 10K than the competitors. I seriously doubt i'd worry about exceeding 9350 lbs now and then by a little.

They say that properly loaded, it's about 50/50 weight distribution while loaded.

Re: Sliding side doors - Mostly just personal preference after having vans with sliders and barn door style. As they age, the barn doors are easier to deal with, less maintenance in my experience, and I like being able to only open one half instead of having the entire top and bottom edges opened to weather and wind when using a sliding door, even if opening just a fraction. It's just a personal preference, really, based on personal experience with both.

Re: the extra 650# and who is going to want it - there will be a whole lot of other types of uses and up-fitting other than expediters. I can see trades people fitting it out with shelving and tools and material who might want the extra weight without going over. I can also see RV up-fitters loading it up with fresh and grey water tanks, house battery banks and gensets, interior cabinets and all the accoutrements those vehicles have, that would like the extra capacity that a GVW of closer to 10,000 would allow.

If I ever got one to set up for expediting, I may not be so worried about it myself, though having the extra capacity and being able to carry more personal stuff or a larger battery bank, AC, etc than I might otherwise, might be nice. I'm just wondering, with the law being what it is and the knowledge that this van will be used for a wide array of things, as well as the history of US vans typically having the GVW of their 1 ton versions closer to 10,000, why they would not go closer. Not so much a criticism, just wondering.

As far as occasionally exceeding the GVW on the door plate, I wouldn't be too keen on that, myself, especially if hauling cargo for a customer. As pointed out in other threads, all it takes is one accident and being overweight, for it all to go away.

edit: Also wondering if the diesel engine they're going to use is the same weight as the V-6. The chart supplied by Ram/Chrysler at the link in the op ( http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster.html ) shows the curb weight to be the same for both. Usually a diesel adds some weight, which further could decrease available weight for payload.

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I would think CV (constant velocity) joints would have to be made to heavier standards in this application. But it's not like they need to be 10 times as strong. But I imagine they wear out a lot faster than the CV joints on your sisters Honda Civic she drove in college!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Sliding side doors - Mostly just personal preference after having vans with sliders and barn door style. As they age, the barn doors are easier to deal with, less maintenance in my experience, and I like being able to only open one half instead of having the entire top and bottom edges opened to weather and wind when using a sliding door, even if opening just a fraction. It's just a personal preference, really, based on personal experience with both.
My experience and personal preference is just the opposite, at least with GM vans. I have had both swing and sliders. The hinges on the side swing doors tend to bind up after a few years due to poor design. One can drill a hole in each hinge and insert a Zerk allowing the hinge to be greased. 9 years on my slider and no problems.

My bed is crosswise behind the seats. With swings doors I still had to open both doors to gain access being that the forward door had to be opened first. If the rear side door opened independently of the forward one, I would probably go back to swing doors.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Taken yesterday on i75 north Detroit.

1372769098142.jpg

1372769119468.jpg

1372769137988.jpg

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would have preferred barn doors...my 1st ram CV had them....the Ford Econoline back then had sliders and were constantly break and falling off track....I managed about 82 of them so I know of what I speak...for courier work.....even tho my slider has held up all these years without problems...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Isn't the first year of this Ram van a few years ago when Fiat brought it out? Is it really the same for old established models being rebadged and brought to a different country? I don't really like carrying more than 1 ton in a 1 ton van. My van could carry 2893 without exceeding the gvw on the door plate. I set my limit on my contract at 2500, the minimum required amount for the carrier. That said, I still think they should have built it to 9990 not 9500 gvw. There's always going to be knuckleheads who think it's fine to run at 9958# on a 9500# chassis because it's still below 10k and it's not that far over. If they'd made it 9990# they have at least saved a few idiots from themselves.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Isn't the first year of this Ram van a few years ago when Fiat brought it out? Is it really the same for old established models being rebadged and brought to a different country? I don't really like carrying more than 1 ton in a 1 ton van. My van could carry 2893 without exceeding the gvw on the door plate. I set my limit on my contract at 2500, the minimum required amount for the carrier. That said, I still think they should have built it to 9990 not 9500 gvw. There's always going to be knuckleheads who think it's fine to run at 9958# on a 9500# chassis because it's still below 10k and it's not that far over. If they'd made it 9990# they have at least saved a few idiots from themselves.

The Transit is the same way except not re-badged....why they are having so many problems setting up a line....when all they have to do is clone their European line...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Need to remember these things aren't really built with expediters in mind. We are just a niche.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.