questions!!!!!

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
newbi here,about a month or so.i took a load from md to nc.got to customer about 2am was to be there at 12'30am,lost due to directions,in contact with dispatch the hole time.reached cust,no one to unload unitl 8am,called dispatch they said ok,just wait.got unloaded at 8'30am called back to dispatch to ask them what my detention time was and what the pay was,well,,,no detention pay,why,i'm new to this still,still don't know every move to make yet.was told no detention pay because the load was not confirmed for deliverly.i was pisseddd.called o/o about this (chalk it up to being a newbie)he said.i waited 6 hrs to get unloaded,i thought you gave them 3 hrs free,and then you start getting detention time.does this happen often.also need some info from O/OS.if a driver has a 60/40 split,do you also split empty move pay,and if so why.not trying to be noiseie,fed ex called me and wanted me to move from nc to nj,at empty move pay,i called my o/o and asked him if this was a good idea,he said i wouldn't do it.he also said that we split empty move pay,was not aware of this.i have no contract with him.i called fex ex and told them no because i have to split the money with the o/o for some reason.they called me back and said that it was changed to all dh miles and to have a safe trip.i said 10-4.i got a good run on the other side.i thought that it was common for a driver to get all dh,load,unload,empty moves,inside del,inside up,boarder crossings,etc..i thought the only thing the driver splits with the o/o is the runs.could some of you tell me how you guys have it set up,if not thats ok.not trying to get into anyones business,or get anyone in trouble here. thanks

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
BB

Back to the basics. With FedEx Custom Critical, you are given an indication if the Qualcomm offered run delivery time is "confirmed" or "not confirmed". On the telephone offers, you usually must ask for confirmation details. When the run offers show "not confirmed", it means that the delivery time is based on the time you must arrive but there is no confirmation that the customer will receive at that time and you may have to wait. In other words, you have no appointment. When you accept a non-confirmed delivery, you, in essence, agree to be at the delivery on time but also agree to wait until the customer is ready for you.

When you have a confirmed delivery, the carrier has set an appointment for you and if the customer is not ready you will receive detention pay after a predetermined wait period. I always find it best to get a confirmation during weekends or holiday periods. If you don't get this confirmation, you may have quite a long wait over a weekend.

As far as your contract with your owner goes, it seems you have nothing in writing so your oral agreement for 60/40 split means that the owner can interpret your agreement any way he chooses. Get it in writing next time you are with the owner so you can know in advance how much of each of the accessory charges you will receive. It's all negotiable so you should decide what percentage you want of each extra item and get it in writing.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
As an owner the deadhead and empty moves cost me just like it cost when the truck is loaded. I still have the truck tied up, I still have the engine running so I have the maintenance, tires, chance it will be in an accident, ect.

I'm sure the drivers won't aggree with me but basically my cost are the same if your loaded or empty so I would expect to get my share.

As far as being paid for detention....you were late and missed your delivery time. traffic, lost, breakdown...all understandable but simple fact is, you missed your time.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I get a split on detention and layover since those are pay for the truck being tied up. My drivers get 100% of freight touching, d/h etc. since those are compensation for either manual labor or partial fuel costs to move and they pay fuel. If it's people or fuel money they get it, if it's time money we split it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
FedEx pays a fuel surcharge on all dispatched moves so basically I do the same as LDB.

drivers get all the FSC, we split the rest except the hand loading/unloading which goes to the driver.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I've read post from the bum for the last few months. I,m not sure any amount of nurturing will be successful. can't help it. It's dat Beltway Bandit Mentality dat ya got dere.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If you were late on delivery,and customer went home,detention is on you.
Fed Ex C C gives us plenty of time to get delivered,2 hrs late even if lost, would be hard to explain.
As harsh as this may sound,just be glad customer didnt ask for his 25% rebate,for late load.

ooida263839
fed ex cc since 1984
E6613
steve gilbert

Ladytrucker1950

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry beachbum, its true even in the big truck OTR industry, if you are late for your delivery or pickup appt. it cancels out your chance of detention pay. Also, never assume you will find the customer unless of course you have been there before. Allow yourself a good 2 hours extra or more depending on the length of haul. If you have a laptop on the truck get yourself Rand McNally Trip Maker and Street finder. You still have to check the good old atlas for restrictions but they will at least show you were an address is. Bad directions are a given in this job. Good luck to you. You'll learn all the ins and outs with time. I'm new to this group but have already found that everyone here is more than ready ,willing and able to help. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Be safe

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
yes i was 2 hrs late.fed ex knew that.they called me 1 hr before p/u.picked up the load,no problems.but it is now rush hr,traffic is heavy,stop and go.called them ,ok.saked if any body was going to be there to unload me at 12;30 am,(i guess,i was told).come to find out know one was there anyway to unload me.know one until 8 am,so,it did not matter wheather i got there at 12;30 or a 2 am no one was there.all i ask was a simple question,.i read all the time in the driver want ads,you keep,dh,fsc,empty moves,hand load,unload,etc..you know what never mind.