Questions on Location and Straight Trucks, Where a

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
1st of all, i love this site! This is my first time to chime in, so far i have read a couple mo.s back and plan to continue, but my questions are coming faster then i can read answers.
My wife and i, both 40ish, are located 2 hrs east of Dallas, TX and want to team expediting. Both love each other's company, love to drive and want to see the country. No criminal histories, or bad driving records, or kids at home to hold us back. We are leaning toward starting out in a C or D unit and will definitely consider following advice here to drive for a Fleet owner first although i believe we can afford and can make more money with our own truck, but we'll keep that as a future goal for now.

Questions;

>on a recent drive to Dallas and back, I-30, we did not see one straight truck with a sleeper, why is this? and what does the term 'freight lane' mean?

>Seems that most posters here are located anywhere but TX, is expediting in a C & D unit relatively new to this area?, the trucking industry in general? and growing?

>Considering our location, would we be wiser to go for our class A CDL's and team in an E unit instead?

>Thinking way ahead, and related to a thread by Nightcreature, is it thru experience only, that one knows before taking a load offered, if it is to an express center that has more loads in then out, thereby putting yourself in a bad position?

>Last Q for now i promise; When dispatch calls and offers a load, does one have time to factor things, ie. maybe call a buddy that may know so not to get trapped in a long layover, or does dispatch need a yae or nae immediately.

Sorry for so many inquiries, any comments welcome.
Thanks So Much!!

"Mama told me when I was young
Take your time... Don't live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
And don't forget son,
There is someone up above."
Simple Man
Lynyrd Skynyrd

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Questions on Location and Straight Trucks, Whe

>
>Questions;
>
> >on a recent drive to Dallas and back, I-30, we did not see
>one straight truck with a sleeper, why is this? and what
>does the term 'freight lane' mean?

This is one of the slowest times of the year for Expediting. Not surprising you did not see any of us. "Freight lanes" is a term loosely used to indicate where our business comes from.Originally these lanes generated in and out of the Detroit area where Roberts Express out of Akron,Oh invented this business. Texas and Dallas in particular generates a lot of business. Freight lanes ars mainly east of the Mississippi.West is very poor.

> >Seems that most posters here are located anywhere but TX,
>is expediting in a C & D unit relatively new to this area?,
>the trucking industry in general? and growing?

LBD out of Houston should jump in here for this answer. I think he would agree that if when you leave home you should head for Dallas to wait for your first load.To just sit at home would probably now be wise as other units poised closer to the shipper would get the load.
>
> >Considering our location, would we be wiser to go for our
>class A CDL's and team in an E unit instead?
>
Probably due to your home location plus points for "C" or "D'units are of course lower operating cost.Ease of handling etc.

> >Thinking way ahead, and related to a thread by
>Nightcreature, is it thru experience only, that one knows
>before taking a load offered, if it is to an express center
>that has more loads in then out, thereby putting yourself in
>a bad position?

Yes, and asking Dispatch about the area you will be landing in.Sometimes their response is good sometimes not.Often they will you will need to DH 100 or 200 miles to an express center.
>
> >Last Q for now i promise; When dispatch calls and offers a
>load, does one have time to factor things, ie. maybe call a
>buddy that may know so not to get trapped in a long layover,
>or does dispatch need a yae or nae immediately.

Usally very little time is allowed.Dispath and shippers expect you will be rolling in a few minutes. There are exceptions when you are givin an appointment several hours in advance.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Loved the cartoon.:7 Welcome to the forum and best of luck.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I would loosely define the freight lanes as Memphis to Detroit to Atlanta and places contained between with the emphasis on loosely. Dallas has a fair amount of work. It would be the closest place you could go to wait on a job. The other option would be Memphis which seems to have more work but is much farther. I believe D units are the best overall for revenue production and ease of operation. Experience is going to be the best teacher of locations but you can't go strictly on number of loads in/out as that changes depending on time of year etc. You also have to consider the difference between taking the run to that destination versus the zero incoming for continuing to sit where you are. Most companies want an answer within 15 minutes and wheels rolling within 15 minutes of that. If you get the offer via QC you can get on the phone to someone. If they are on the phone with you they are going to want an answer before hanging up. Keep reading back in the forums. I'm sure you've learned a lot from that already and will find lots more to learn as you continue. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

RETIDEPXE said:

>Considering our location, would we be wiser to go for our class A CDL's and team in an E unit instead?

I don't know of any expedite carriers that will take two rookies in a semi. So you would need to get your training and expereance somewhere else

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

As far as driving an E, I have to agree with Jim. Either get a year experience at an OTR company, then jump into expediting, or get into a C/D unit right away. Getting into an E unit would give you the best possibilities in expediting, the best earning potential, etc. But Jim is right that no one will take on two newbs in a t/t. One other option is to train seperately as co-drivers in an E for a time, then get back together. I've seen some ads for training co-drivers. However, the cost of getting your license from a truck driving school is very spensive. Training in a D unit could cost as little as taking the test, renting a truck, and paying a tester (nix renting a truck if you have a friend who will let you use his/her truck).

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

We spend a lot of time in Texas and love to drive in that state. We have delivered and picked up freight all over the area. Not sure what you are seeing that do not have sleepers. It is probably safe to say that you should run into an expediter at any of the truck stops during the day time. With FedEx you have 10 minutes to reply to an dispatch offer. For us experience was the best teacher on good areas and bad areas. We have several friends that are White Glove and areas that are good for them are terrible for us. You will need to find those details out when talking with other drivers. We have learned the most by reading these forums and talking to any drivers that will stand still long enough to answer a few questions. We are always learning something new. Good Luck on your new adventure! And Welcome to the forums.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

> 1st of all, i love this site! This is my first time to
>chime in, so far i have read a couple mo.s back and plan to
>continue, but my questions are coming faster then i can read
>answers.
> My wife and i, both 40ish, are located 2 hrs east of
>Dallas, TX and want to team expediting. Both love each
>other's company, love to drive and want to see the country.

In expedite,there is a time on all pick ups,usually 90mins,what you might have to do,is when ready for dispatch,to go to an express center or area that your company considers a freight area

>No criminal histories, or bad driving records, or kids at
>home to hold us back. We are leaning toward starting out in
>a C or D unit and will definitely consider following advice
>here to drive for a Fleet owner first although i believe we
>can afford and can make more money with our own truck, but
>we'll keep that as a future goal for now.

your best bet is to find a fleet owner,and drive with the owner himself, you could also each go with a different owner
>
>Questions;
>
> >on a recent drive to Dallas and back, I-30, we did not see
>one straight truck with a sleeper, why is this? and what
>does the term 'freight lane' mean?

in expedite,you wont see a straight truck with out a sleeper.the trucks you have seen are local delivery trucks.
the freight lanes are the area a company moves freight,to and from
>
> >Seems that most posters here are located anywhere but TX,
>is expediting in a C & D unit relatively new to this area?,
>the trucking industry in general? and growing?

many expedite loads come from the dallas ft worth areas,with many c and d loads
>
> >Considering our location, would we be wiser to go for our
>class A CDL's and team in an E unit instead?

if the both of you should get class a liscenses,without a years experience,you wouldnt be able to drive by yourselves
if your thinking of class a's, you each would have to split up into 2 trucks,til you got the experience,this is insurance rules

> >Thinking way ahead, and related to a thread by
>Nightcreature, is it thru experience only, that one knows
>before taking a load offered, if it is to an express center
>that has more loads in then out, thereby putting yourself in
>a bad position?

its totally from experience knowing where to go and not to go,but what decides that,how far your going to have to go to get your next load. a lot of the express centers have more loads in than out,that puts to many trucks in an area. some of the expedite companies will put what they call back haul loads to get you into the freight areas,but while you do this,your missing out on an expedited high paying load,that might just come from where you are.

> >Last Q for now i promise; When dispatch calls and offers a
>load, does one have time to factor things, ie. maybe call a
>buddy that may know so not to get trapped in a long layover,
>or does dispatch need a yae or nae immediately.

from the time you get an offer til it times out,at least at fedexcc, you have 10 mins to say yes or no,and as far as busy freight areas,in expedite, that can change daily,
>
>Sorry for so many inquiries, any comments welcome.
>Thanks So Much!!
>
>
>"Mama told me when I was young
>Take your time... Don't live too fast,
>Troubles will come and they will pass.
>And don't forget son,
>There is someone up above."
>Simple Man
>Lynyrd Skynyrd

good luck,the only bad question is a question not asked

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter

Thank you all for the replies. So many folks willing to offer words of wisdom. Been in retail sales most of my working life, I must say I have never felt this warm of a reception, bar none! Forgive my long windedness, I feel an obligation to respond, and please allow me to ask a few more questions below.

Based on my research, independent of any formal schooling, we plan to take the written CDL test in the next couple weeks. We feel comfortable enough with having studied the Texas CDL Driver’s Handbook for the past few weeks that we can pass without a problem, including Hazmat, combination etc, all except passenger bus driving which we feel we will not ever want to do. Then we plan to rent a large Uhaul, gain practice, and then rent an air brake truck with a short term instructor, gain practice and go take our driving tests.

We want to team expedite in a company or fleet owner’s D unit, hopefully finding a company or owner that will allow us to stay together start to finish. As goofy as this may sound, and call me the jealous type, but, I cannot in good conscience send my beautiful wife off with a stranger, or good friend for that matter (no offense freinds), OTR in a truck to train…just isn’t going to happen. Am I asking too much on this stand?

My wife claims she answered an ad, Pam transport I think, that suggested we could do just that (stay together) during and after training in Ohio for a few weeks and go right to work teaming together. As a note, i'm not sure if they charge for the training or not, or, if it does cost, if they would prorate or take into consideration assuming we have already gained our CDL permit, this I’ll have to call and ask.

We do have parents and other family in the Dallas area w/ lots of room, who would be happy to see us, read...put up w/ us, while waiting for a load. Memphis isn’t that far either, 5 hrs…..let’s see, 350 mi’s/9mpg = 39gal X 2.45/gal = $96 in fuel plus meals, plus maybe a couple days sitting, may not be too bad inorder to get into a better position..

Ok, here I go with more questions, then I plan to read more;

Q>I understand some companies/owners have load acceptance requirements, but in terms of location, doesn’t the company or fleet owner one drives for have say so as to where we should go to wait for a load or what freight lanes we run or loads we choose?

We may go ahead and shoot for our class A CDL, assuming insurance and other considerations are not a problem in renting a T/T for testing, with an instructor of course.

Q>I know class B won’t cut it for driving a combination, but, will an A CDL be good also for class B CDL driving, ie. straight truck?

I assume so but then again, I assume a lot of things and folks say that ain’t a good thing ;)

If anybody sees anything wrong with my steps to success, please let me know, critism welcome and i really appreciate your candor!

Thanks again!
Retidepxe

Sit beside me...my only son,
And don't forget son,
Simple Man
Lynyrd Skynyrd

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter

>if the both of you should get class a liscenses,without a years >experience,you wouldnt be able to drive by yourselves
>if your thinking of class a's, you each would have to split up into >2 trucks,til you got the experience,this is insurance rules

Nightcreature, is this true even if we drive a D unit with a class A license in hand, or does this only apply with driving an E truck? I didn't get whether "class a's" refers to the license we hold or if it infers driving an E truck.

Thanks much!

And don't forget son,
Simple Man
Lynyrd Skynyrd

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

>
>>if the both of you should get class a liscenses,without a years >experience,you wouldnt be able to drive by yourselves
>>if your thinking of class a's, you each would have to split up into >2 trucks,til you got the experience,this is insurance rules
>
>Nightcreature, is this true even if we drive a D unit with a
>class A license in hand, or does this only apply with
>driving an E truck? I didn't get whether "class a's" refers
>to the license we hold or if it infers driving an E truck.
>
>Thanks much!

ok,here goes,1st,you can drive a D unit as soon as you both get your class B cdl's,or A cdl's,and you can both be in the same truck,driving for a fleet owner.
now on the other hand,if you are going to get A liscenses,you wont be able to go it alone for 12 months,in a tractor,E unit,thats do to insurance,unless you go to truck drivinng school,then this would be 6 months,and you wont find a reputable company in expedite that will permit this.
since you arent going to split up,if you both get A liscenses,and want to drive a tractor,just one of you go to work in an E truck,driving with owner,the other can stay home,then when qualified you can both be in the same truck,together. in any event,you must get the hazmat endorsement,its a big part of expediteing.

if you go to school for your A liscense,that school will also give you the road test in their truck,you wont need to lease one

if you would just get a B lisc. this will be cheaper,and you can be in a truck quicker,as the schooling is shorter,(I think),but if not,you may as well get your A liscences

now as far as when you get to work,when I had a fleet,what i told my drivers was,for the first 90 days,try to take what ever they put in front of you,try to play the game by their rules,make notes,and figure if what you are doing is making you the money you need.
also,by doing this,when you talk to the company,that your not getting the money you need,if this is the case,you have a leg to stand on,as your doing everything they ask

>"Mama told me when I was young
>Take your time... Don't live too fast,
>Troubles will come and they will pass.
>And don't forget son,
>There is someone up above."
>Simple Man
>Lynyrd Skynyrd

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Having your A is only of benefit if you want to drive t/t, otherwise the B is sufficient for straight trucks. I've never heard of a company that doesn't require new drivers in t/t to go out for 4-5 weeks minimum with a "trainer". That's "supposed to be" a time where the newbie is observed by the trainer and further hones backing skills etc. with advice from the experienced driver. In reality it is a method for the company to run teams cheaply since the newbie is only paid 1/2-2/3 what a full scale driver is paid. The "trainer" goes to the bunk to sleep until it is their turn to drive. The two hot bunk the truck on whatever team loads there are. You and your wife would have to split up for a few weeks to go with the training drivers.

All companies want their drivers to have 100% acceptance rates. Any driver that does is making less per mile than the driver with a 75-80% rate. That, in my opinion, is the optimum rate for net revenue production.

Most companies are going to suggest layover locations to you. Those suggestions are going to be their best guess of where they will need trucks to cover loads. They are made in the company's best interest although frequently they benefit you as well. You have to learn your specific company's systems and customer requirements. It's possible the company may know a job is coming up in 2 days in Shreveport and suggest you move from Dallas where there are lots of trucks to Shreveport where there are none. The only drawback is you don't know the next known job is in 2 days so you sit there a while and in the interim could have risen to the top of the Dallas board and already been on a load. The flipside is you could wait in Dallas and get offered a load only to Waco.

Keep reading. You are obviously learning from it and picking up new things to ask further about. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter

AGain we appreciate all the advice, been reading all i can get my hands one, just read "Expedite Now" cover to cover, nice article (and Sterling) by team Caffees, also thanks to Mr Madsen for the Bus. planning article, great ideas there. Wife and i are getting fired up.

As a follow - up, we both have passed our written for Texas CDL 'B' and Hazmat endorsement tests, on our first try i might add, not meaning to blow our own horns, but, "toot toot"! and this by just studying the Texas CDL Handbook.

Now we need a qualified straight truck (and driver) for the driving skills test and are having a heck of a time finding one in our area. We have contacted dealers, dump truck drivers, even a moving company in the area that we passed on the road...all to no avail...excuses are; liability...can't do it on a weekday...we do T/T only for CDL 'A', etc. One dump trk owner was willing but is recovering from heart surgery and sd his doc won't let him for another month or so. WE have found all skills testing outfits from Longview to Tyler are T/T only. Ryder used to have air brake straights but does not now, so they say.

I have a couple other guys i know in the area to ask next week. Maybe i have the wrong approach, any suggestions? I've been walking into it with, "my wife and i are working on gaining our CDL class 'B' and.... Maybe i need to just come right out and say, hey, I need a straight truck and a driver for about 2 hours, how does $300 sound?

So here goes another question, anybody in the area that can help a couple out? (hope this doesn't sound too much like a classified ad...hey, theres an idea). We are willing to pay a reasonable amount, assuming ofcourse you don't have to drive from hundreds of miles away....We are located 130 miles east of Dallas TX, 90 miles NNW of Shreveport LA, 60 miles N of Tyler.

I realize beggers may not be able to be choosers, but we would prefer to do the skills test in Daingerfield TX, pop. @ 4,000, this way we would not have to retake 3 out of 4 of the written tests again as would be the case if taken somewhere else in TX. Plus the young lady there(cute, but don't tell my wife i sd so :p) has been very accomodating, in fact, she conducts the test and prefers we pre-schedule our test time, this way there should be no wait time.

AS a note, we both have some large Uhaul and motorhome driving experience. Manual trans shouldn't be a problem with a little practice as long as it's not a 500hp class 8 with an 18 speed or something ;) (wife has been driving a 6 spd auto for 7 years now, quite well i might add, and we both have drivin plenty sticks having been in the car biz for umpteen yrs.). WE have liability insurance (for our autos and pickups if that counts), we just need some air brake and time behind the wheel instruction, maybe an hour before the test, and we should be good to go. Or if you know anybody in the area, i do realize it seems like local expediters are like hen's teeth in our area, but thought it'd be worth a shot.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I have something to say about Hino's too but i'll run that by in the 'trucks' forum.

Regards and be carefull out there!

silverdollar

Expert Expediter

Now that is a true expediter, give me an hour behind the wheel and I am a truck driver.:+

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

i think expedite solutions has a training program for husband and wife teams only to get them trained and in a d-unit. not sure on the details but it wouldn't hurt to check it out. they advertise on this site i do belive. i live in arkansas and have pulled some good loads out the little rock area. dallas always seemed to be hit or miss. living close to little rock i would usually stay on that board for a day or two and if nothing came up i would leave home and go to memphis. got some real good ones out of memphis. alot of the loads i got out of little rock seemed to go to laredo or chicago. most times driver breaks down or gets sick can't finish trip i get a call and go swap it out.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Every Company is different for where the freight Generally is. I actually pull as many or more loads up and down US 59 than I do out of Dallas Ft. Worth. I have learned not to sit in Dallas but just East of there, nothing is a 100% no matter where your at but if your at home thats the least expensive place to wait.

Good luck to both of you.

elton10

Expert Expediter

Get a 24' Ryder it's closer to a D unit than any of the U Haul trucks in terms of handling, visibility etc.
Remember that part of your test is a pretrip inspection and be SURE the truck you rent to take the test in is in shape to pass.. You will fail the test if the equipment wont pass the pretrip.

Then we plan to rent a large Uhaul,
>gain practice, and then rent an air brake truck with a short
>term instructor, gain practice and go take our driving
>tests.
>
>

elton10

Expert Expediter

I think that was their deal with ConWay NOW.. which is no longer in existence. Dont know if Panther allowed that program to carry over when they bought out ConWay NOW

>i think expedite solutions has a training program for
>husband and wife teams only to get them trained and in a
>d-unit. not sure on the details but it wouldn't hurt to
>check it out. they advertise on this site i do belive. i
>live in arkansas and have pulled some good loads out the
>little rock area. dallas always seemed to be hit or miss.
>living close to little rock i would usually stay on that
>board for a day or two and if nothing came up i would leave
>home and go to memphis. got some real good ones out of
>memphis. alot of the loads i got out of little rock seemed
>to go to laredo or chicago. most times driver breaks down or
>gets sick can't finish trip i get a call and go swap it out.

elton10

Expert Expediter

Ryder sold their "rental"(yellow trucks) business to Budget.. Try the commercial division.. (White Ryders) they have air brake units at the location nearest me here in GA. so Id think that would be true anywhere.. Im sure they would in larger city areas

Ryder used to
>have air brake straights but does not now, so they say.
>
>

thunderjaxx

Seasoned Expediter

hey retidepxe. been an independant for years here in dallas.u still need a truck for your test?that 300 hundred got my attention.but seriously maybe i can help.