Question

miko

Expert Expediter
Lets say, one applies for a driving position, and fills in DL#, SSN# etc., can the company go ahead and pull the driving record, check on the listed traffic violations, background and so forth, or is there a extra permission to be signed by the applicant? Isn't it typically, that these things are checked out before a job offer is made? Or am I wrong?

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
A company did that for me, they are supposed to have a signed consent form first but most will help you out, also there are companys on the web that will pull your DMV file and email it to you.

miko

Expert Expediter
I meant, do companies check one's background and driving record based on the application's info, or do they need to have you sign a special form in order to do so? I would think they do before they offer you a job?
It would be pretty stupid to be offered a job and then they check you out, find something that they don't like and tell you sorry, no can do?

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Miko

Hi most company's will offer you a job and just check into your basic Information you have given them,And once you accept the job or take it to the next step to be hired,Then they will do a full back ground check and DL check.I've seen people coming to orentantion's and then be told sorry we can't hire you because of your back ground check or a problem with their DL...That suz...

b3player

Expert Expediter
Hey Miko,

Our company, a childcare, runs DL check through the insurance Co. and requires no signature except job app. The criminal backgroun does require a seperate form with your signature. I think the company you are with now ran everything through an outside H.R. company. Hope this helps. Miss late night bull sessions.

G.

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Miko, just tell the recruiter that you need to know before you come to orientation or go forward with a truck purchase or something. I had a company recruiter run mine while I was on the phone with him then he showed it to the safety manager who told him it was all good. Unless you have a felony or something the rest should be no problem.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
I was told mine was AOK and after tons of time getting W-2s ,1099s and 2 months of phone calls, faxes locating info on defunct companies, I was told at the orientation that none of the info was retained thus wasting my previous 2 months of work. Not to mention gas and driving time to the orientation. The yeah we got it everything checked out routine is hogwash

I wouldnt leave the house unless you have a signed document from the company with an offer and like the other guy said dont buy a stick of gum on a recruiters word. I did have an intent to lease document signed by the company but thats not worth patooties if they havent checked your 10 yr history.

dukesadog

miko

Expert Expediter
I am actually not concerned with my record, but confused since I was asked advise about it by a very good friend of mine. All my driving positions with companies in the last couple of years got me the job on the interview after drug testing and a ton of paperwork to file. So I thought, things like that are checked out prior to the call to come in for small talk. But things might have changed.
Thanks for commenting on it.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't recall ever signing anything or giving special permission for a driving record check. Remember, this is not deeply personal info. Most companies will wait until they have some sign that you are truly interested in them because it does cost a couple bucks. The background check costs a bit more and some will wait until you are actually in orientation to do it. And, I don't recall ever signing anything for that either.

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Your D.O.B., DL #, and Social Security number, are about the MOST DEEPLY PERSONAL INFORMATION,you can give anybody.

As a former computer security consultant, I know I could live very well for a month or two if I was able to obtain that type information from you.

So be very careful who you give it to. Unscrupulous people are making fortunes with Identity Theft, and very few of them are caught.

Even if they are caught, your bank account has already been drained, and your credit rating destroyed.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I absolutly agree with you Goodguy. What I was referring to as not being deeply personal are whatever tickets or accidents you have had.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Dukesadog had a great point.

Do not buy, resign do nothing until YOU HAVE IN WRITING that you are going to be accepted.

Just think you go out buy a truck put down a ton of $ have a monthly payment and insurance and no job... Wow think thats never happened

SillySafetyGirl

Expert Expediter
As one of those yuckie recruiting people that do those god-awful background checks on ya'll, let me tell you what happens. Before any contact with previous employers, etc., are made, the applicant has to sign a disclosure and release form. Many times this is located at the end of your typical application. If you disclose your DL number or your SS number, then anybody can check your driving record via the internet. As for your previous employment records, same thing. You give your permission to disclose your information and release previous employers from any liability by signing that your information is correct on the application. If you don't sign, you don't get the job anyways because we recruiters and safety people need to be cautious on our hiring practices. We cannot obtain vital information without your signature, and we will not hire you without it. If you're worried about identity theft, then I don't know what to tell you. As a Safety Director/Recruiter who does a kerbillion background checks a week, I know I've never wanted to be anyone but me, and I have no interest in taking on your identity.

Silly

G

Also, be aware that every time they pull a copy of your driving record it lowers your driving record beacon score by three points.:D

miko

Expert Expediter
As far as identity theft, I got a thingy in the mail, saying I could refinance my mortgage and lower my payments, due to the public records that indicate that my current monthly payment is xxx$, and my current debt is xxx$... So, what else can I do if anyone can pull anything on me??? I should probably wear a brown paper sack over my head and pretend that I am not here...

In my opinion, it is too late to worry about that now. Things have gone a bit too far in this country. Weather we like it or not, nobody is safe anymore. What worries me more, is what is noxt?

miko