Question for carriers & fleet owners

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Suppose you were contacted by a qualified "team of solos" who wanted to contract with you to operate one of your vechicles. One team member would drive the vechicle for a specified period, work their way toward home and turn the vechicle over to their team mate. Say the team is located in good freight lanes in the midwest. The obvious advantage for you would be keeping your truck on the road. What would the disadvantages be? This is addressed to carriers and fleet owners but anyone with a comment, please jump in.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The major disadvantage would be the truck could not be operated on a steady basis by a solo driver like it could with a team. HOS favors teams.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I have heard of larger TL/non-expedite carriers doing something like this with 3 people: Al & Bob team for a week, Al goes home, Bob and Carl team for a week, Bob goes home, Carl and Al team, Carl goes home, Al and Bob again...etc. So everyone stays out two weeks with one off. But I guess this is a bit off topic, as the truck has to be back every week to the same area- which all three guys have to live in- which probably wouldn't work for expediting. Or is this kinda what a team version of what you're asking?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would think your idea using a cargo van would be doable, provided you can find an accommodating fleet owner. Both drivers would of course make less money, in theory 50% less. Which also raises the question, how to split the time out? A specified number of days? A specific gross revenue? The more I think about it, it probably wouldn't work out.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I have heard of larger TL/non-expedite carriers doing something like this with 3 people: Al & Bob team for a week, Al goes home, Bob and Carl team for a week, Bob goes home, Carl and Al team, Carl goes home, Al and Bob again...etc. So everyone stays out two weeks with one off. But I guess this is a bit off topic, as the truck has to be back every week to the same area- which all three guys have to live in- which probably wouldn't work for expediting. Or is this kinda what a team version of what you're asking?

I believe Schnider had a program like you mentioned for senior citizens. What I am thinking about is loads within a 11 hour driving range for straights or under 10001 GVW. Of course if a in truck team is required this wouldn't work.

Last edited:

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I would think your idea using a cargo van would be doable, provided you can find an accommodating fleet owner. Both drivers would of course make less money, in theory 50% less. Which also raises the question, how to split the time out? A specified number of days? A specific gross revenue? The more I think about it, it probably wouldn't work out.

Nothing could be written in stone. It would probably average out over long term. I think after 2000 paid miles it would be time to look for a load towards home. Team mates would have to play fair.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would probably average out over long term. I think after 2000 paid miles it would be time to look for a load towards home. Team mates would have to play fair.
What is fair? Driver #1 could hit the trifecta with three 700 mile loads in 5 days and end up 1000 miles from home. Would he have to deadhead back just so driver #2 could get his turn? Driver #2 could take 3 weeks to make the magic 2000 miles.

Way too many variables in expediting. A dedicated run out and back, sure. Expediting, no!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Wall Mart does it. Two weeks on two weeks off.

I think it would be great for two retired people who want to supplement their income. But if they didn't have another source of income I don't see how.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
What happens when "Bob" is 1100 miles away with no freight and it's the other drivers turn?. Does Bob deadhead 1100 miles to change drivers?.:rolleyes: I don't see how in Expediting you can assume Bob is going to "work" his way back on schedule. Why not have the drivers on opposite ends of the area?.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's a GREAT plan.... on paper. I doubt seriously it will work very well in application. At most the van would operate around the 50% level since it's running solo. It would be better to have a husband/wife team running it. When they are running they can run as a team at 100%. Even if they do 3 weeks on 1 off that's closer to a 75% level. Your plan can be done and made to work I think but I don't think it will be overly satisfying to any of the parties.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
The team solos are actually friends, both retired and live 8 miles apart. I don't think they would have a problem dividing up the time in the truck. My main question is; would anyone contract with them?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unless it is a dedicated same route deal, I think I would pass.
Why? Too many scheduling conflicts, who is gone too long or not enough, each blaming the other for mechanical issues and the list goes on.
Sounds like one would be more involved in counseling sessions rather than anything else.