Question about Sprinters???

TropixBum

Active Expediter
If you were going to buy a sprinter to run, would it be a 144 or 170 inch wheel base? and from what I have read the sprinters have some problems from time to time. What would some of the mechanical problems be that I should look out for and is there a decent manual out there on working on them? If you had another choice besides a sprinter. What would it be to stay under 10,000 gvw?

Thanx
Sean

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you were going to buy a sprinter to run, would it be a 144 or 170 inch wheel base? and from what I have read the sprinters have some problems from time to time. What would some of the mechanical problems be that I should look out for and is there a decent manual out there on working on them? If you had another choice besides a sprinter. What would it be to stay under 10,000 gvw?

Thanx
Sean

I'd get the 170" model....

Problems? no more then a North American slop bucket, The new ones don't like to be idled.
Keep in mind you are considering a Mercedes...there is a premium to be paid when it comes to repairs....Just don't think like an American when it comes to maintenance....You'll see the Sprinter haters on here posting negative comments.....which IMO makes them stupid people...:(

ErieBigDawg

Seasoned Expediter
I ran the 144" when I was expediting. I was laughed at by a lot of people on this forum when I got it. BUT, I did just fine. I could do two pallets and most of the people with longer Sprinters have a sleeper and only have around 100" of cargo space. I had all 128 1/2" available for cargo. Nice when you have something longer then 100".

My bed folds up against the wall and flat screen does the same.

It is for sale on classified ads of this forum

dave

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not only the 170 wheelbase but if you can the extended length. You can never have to much room, Although some have a permanent bunk I would venture to say most do not. You will always be more comfortable with more space.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would agree as i had the 170e and now 170 i miss that extra lenght

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Sure people make money in the short body sprinters, just as people make money in 2 skid cargo vans...but what they don't know are the loads they aren't getting because they can't haul more. If they don't have the capacity, they simply aren't getting the offers...More is best....Can you do it on a shorty, yeap, but again, more is better....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's all a trade off. More length = less weight capacity. The big question is what is the best compromise possible.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Eight times out of ten three skids and your still under weight limits. Go for the length.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The bigger problem at least in some cases would be adequate weight capacity to meet the carrier requirements once fitted out and loaded with a driver in the seat.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are plenty of people out here running the el sprinters, I don't think it is going to present a problem unless a person goes crazy with personal outfitting.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe not but looking at a 2500 extended with 2855 pound payload capacity that's very little to work with to meet a 2500 pound carrier requirement once you fill the fuel tank, insulate it and put in some etrack. I guess if the driver only weighs 37 pounds with 9 pounds of clothes etc. it's perfect.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fact is carriers love them. They are working for a lot of people out in the real world.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, I know they are everywhere and it is on my definite maybe list for next time. Just saying it will take more care in setup and equipping to get a scale ticket showing 2500 pound payload capacity after being set up for the road.

TropixBum

Active Expediter
Thanxs for all the input. The more the better. I've been driving over the road in T/T for 26 years and I think its time for a change. I like the idea of running no logs. A lot has changed in 26 years and just got tired of the hassle. I know how to move freight. Living in a confined space. done that and got that t-shirt. Time for a change.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Leo, don't focus on the weight so much....typically weight has never been an issue with me at 2600 Lbs...besides if they are that heavy that is why they make straight trucks.....they say we have to share....LOL

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ken, what I'm apparently not saying correctly is that it's the weight before the freight not the weight of the freight. When you have to give the carrier a scale ticket showing 2500 pounds available capacity with only 2855 pounds available to work with it makes doing anything other than filling the fuel tank and getting in to drive almost impossible. The buildout of my van added far more then 355 pounds to the empty weight and it takes less material to build out. It's just a shame the one ton model doesn't allow a skid between the wheel wells.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ken, what I'm apparently not saying correctly is that it's the weight before the freight not the weight of the freight. When you have to give the carrier a scale ticket showing 2500 pounds available capacity with only 2855 pounds available to work with it makes doing anything other than filling the fuel tank and getting in to drive almost impossible. The buildout of my van added far more then 355 pounds to the empty weight and it takes less material to build out. It's just a shame the one ton model doesn't allow a skid between the wheel wells.

But Leo....take my case....8550 gross....about 6,000 empty with me and my stuff/fuel....that leaves 2550 on the ticket....say my gas can for the gen. is empty i pick up another almost 50lbs....don't you think you are splitting hairs abit?.....all you need is that ticket for the 2500 capacity..after that way ya go....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ken, you are right that all you need is the ticket. The 5 cylinder model must be lighter than the current model. Their website shows the 2500 gvw as 8550 and payload capacity of 2988 which with full fuel and driver would leave about 2500 available before fitting it out any at all. I'm not trying to split hairs or tortoises either for that matter, just making observations and conversation.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why would you get a weigh ticket with full fuel in it? Heck you can even jump out before weighing. No reason to be so technically correct. Aa I stated before a lot of people make it work, no nees to complicate it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums