question about randoms

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I was just wondering how many times have you been selected to take a "random" drug test in what time period? Just curious, because both my husband and I have taken two this year....and before working here....never! Just wondering if they're picking on us young folks...LOL.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I have gone several years without being selected for a random drug or alcohol test and have been selected as many as three time in a single calendar year. Go figure.
For those that aren't aware, these random tests are mandated by the Federal Government. All working CDL holders must be enrolled in a random testing program. Our carrier maintains a program to ensure all it's leaseholders are in compliance with the Federal regs.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have been through the proverbial pee test for four straight quarters and was miffed at the fact that I had to pay for it 3 out of the 4 times.

I would not sweat about it, this is all normal and be glad it happens.

I think that the DOT will be putting out new rules on how the tests are conducted.

I know from my lab experience that the chain of custody has rules that many just don't get who have scrubs on. On my third test I was really p*ssed off at the tech for mishandling the paper work and not properly correcting a mistake she made. I had to make it an issue with the management of the site and they had to retest. I imagine many people don't watch what these professionals do and I may be anal about it but it is my profession at stake, not theirs.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While I understand pre-employment, post accident, and reasonable suspision(sp?), random seems like a waste time. I would be interested in knowing how many people it catches and for what.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ask the military about that one. Randoms DO work! Maybe not as much in the trucking industry, because of a smaller ratio that gets tested. But I'm sure drivers get popped for speed all the time, as well as weed. We just don't hear about them. In the military, word spreads like wildfire. In trucking, when someone disappears from the road, we just don't notice the difference.

I got hit with a random last month... my first in two years with C&M. Our safety chickie told me we have one driver who got three randoms in 18 months. Yes... if it were more than once a year, I'd get a little irate. But in this case, it got me closer to my next pickup.

Another thing I'd like to point out. Pouting to your safety department is useless. Chances are, they use an outside company to randomly select the drivers. Having a good attitude for situations such as this may give you a few points with those who matter.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm sure it's annoying to be chosen for a random test several times in close proximity, but the nature of the beast is that you have the same chance of being chosen each and every month. As Tennesseehawk says, it's nothing personal, and doing it with a cooperative attitude makes it easier for everyone.
But I too, would be interested in hearing what the "positive" rate is...is that supersecret data, I wonder? :confused:

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
yeah, it probably is done by computer...just seems like it's at the worst times...when you've been running hard and are on the way to go get a shower and have already passed the place they want you to go to. Just kinda a pain. We're always really friendly when they call, just seems like we're picked an awful lot. Plus I don't like how if you've been waiting a day or so for a load and then you lose your board position for a random, and have to start the waiting all over again. Seems like they'd help you out there, and put you back up top. Maybe I'll ask next time.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
With a company I worked for about 10 years ago I was tested 2 times in one weel and then later tested 3 times in one month. The company only had 18 drivers at the time and candidates to be tested randomly were selected by a computer system called SAMI I think. I guess the computer just liked my name or SS number! Needless to say, I passed each test!

Pappy

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
My hubby was tested 15 times in one year with an expediting company that's on here. Now I don't believe for one second that all of them were random. Can someone explain to me how 15 could be random?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My hubby was tested 15 times in one year with an expediting company that's on here. Now I don't believe for one second that all of them were random. Can someone explain to me how 15 could be random?

Was there a failure? I doubt it but have to ask.

The other thing is you know you can get the results? The company does not own the results under the privacy laws and the lab has to release the results to you.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a rumor floating around that some randoms magically turn up about 72 hours after an argument with dispatch....*LOL*

cpboy_1

Seasoned Expediter
Don't feel bad butterfly because my carrier attacks me like that. Hey, we must work for the same one. They are out to get us young folks. They never do my wife. But they always do me. And I pass everytime! It is a waste of time, and I could be on a load getting money.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
1.5 years with panther and have had 1 random and what was good is it happened when i was near the panther terminal. My girlfriend has never been randomed. Mind you i'm 22 and shes 24... No picking on me.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Random Testing

To All;

Random testing is mandated by the DOT. Carriers perform the random testing (along with the other types - reasonable suspicion, post accident, pre employment, etc...) because the carrier is ultimately responsible for the safety of the vehicle.

In many years of Safety, and since the regs were implemented in 1995, I have conducted the randoms on all drivers subject to the regs for the companies I have worked at. I am always amazed when I see or hear comments from drivers that "the company picks me because..."

If you read, and understand the regs, as you should - it is your responsibility as a driver to read and understand the regs - you would understand that no company conducts randoms by just "picking" a specific driver, for whatever means. Carriers usually use third party software that must be equipped with a "true random generator", or drivers are placed into a testing consortium. This means that ALL drivers that are subject to the regs are included in the testing pool each time random selection is conducted. You could be selected each time the carrier performs random in a given year (whether monthly, quarterly, etc.), or you could go twenty years without ever being selected. That is true random selection.

I usually show complaining drivers the actual software and how it works to help them better understand random testing.

Remember, it is the DOT that makes the regs, not the carrier you are driving for. When you obtain a CDL you are aware that this testing is a requirement, and part of the PRIVLEDGE to have that license.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Reactions: 2 people

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
It Comes With The Territory

Yep! Random is the key word.

It is NOT a matter of, "Why Is Everybody Always Picking On Me."

As a former member of the medical community I was randomly tested every month.

Of course, BEFORE I agreed to work for the hospital I knew in advance that one random day in a 30 day cycle, I would be tested.

Conversely, I worked in a Long Term Care facility that seldom tested and drug abuse amongst the staff was rampart.

Now, I don't about you, but I don't want a doper or a drunk administering medical care to me.:(

Moreover, I don't want those who spend as much time behind the wheel as I, to have any drugs or alcohol in their system.:(

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last Company I was with got the call to go, I went and when I finished I got the call to go again?