Question about licensing

freebyrd66

Seasoned Expediter
I'm thinking of going into the business but my problem is this.. I have experience in non-cdl straight trucks and love the road,is there a school where you can get your class B cdl with airbrakes and hazmat <might as well get it all> in the southeast US?? The written tests are no problem I can do them any day at my local DMV office but the road test is near impossible since I dont own a truck and the rental companys refuse to rent me one without a cdl.... catch22 situation. All the schools I have contacted dont offer just class b got to "go all the way" and get the class a. Any info yall could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

svwhite0

Active Expediter
Where in the southeast are you? The school I went to did a class b 1 day overview w/ rental. I'll pm you with the info. It was like $800-900. They went over pretrip and everything.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Get a friend with a CDL to rent one for you and go with you to the test, check with your local community college.
$800 to $900 sounds expensive to me, but what do I know!!!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Also, check with your BMV/DMV Not sure of the laws their etc
Here in Indiana I can rent a non cdl air brakes straight truck with my Chauffers license. These trucks are essentially the same as a class B truck, just restricted to under 26K
Might be possible to take the driving test in one of the non CDL trucks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Also, check with your BMV/DMV Not sure of the laws their etc
Here in Indiana I can rent a non cdl air brakes straight truck with my Chauffers license. These trucks are essentially the same as a class B truck, just restricted to under 26K
Might be possible to take the driving test in one of the non CDL trucks.

Most of the states are the same - have to take the test in a vehicle you intend to drive. There are ways around the rental thing by the way.

BUT with that said, I would just go for the class A license instead of trying to get a class B.

Spacecoast

Seasoned Expediter
In Florida, I went to NBI in Winter Haven. (Just south of Orlando) It was three days. Approx. $800. They offer class A training as well. My class B was straight forward. Range and road work. If you drove before, then it is no problem.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you take the written tests you would be then permitted to drive an air-brake truck as long as you have a Class B licensed driver with you, would you not? Get your permit, find a Class B buddy, rent the truck you need, take the road test.

coppertone

Active Expediter
I'm thinking of going into the business but my problem is this.. I have experience in non-cdl straight trucks and love the road,is there a school where you can get your class B cdl with airbrakes and hazmat <might as well get it all> in the southeast US?? The written tests are no problem I can do them any day at my local DMV office but the road test is near impossible since I dont own a truck and the rental companys refuse to rent me one without a cdl.... catch22 situation. All the schools I have contacted dont offer just class b got to "go all the way" and get the class a. Any info yall could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I live in Ocala, Fl. and the College of Central Florida here in Ocala offers a truck driving school(accredited) that will train you for both class A and B license. I believe the cost is between 300-400 dollars for the class B. I know you have to get a physical, drug screen,and take the written test for your permit prior to class and then you begin the driver's training at the school. I looked into it for a refresher class for my class A CDL. It seems like a good class if you're interested. Google College of Central Florida in Ocala, and search the site for CDL training and see what info you can find.

TNDriver2

Seasoned Expediter
So then after you get done with one of these "24 hour" schools, these companies that advertise here will just throw you the keys to one of their trucks? No further training? I notice none of them offer over the road training for new CDL holders? Maybe one of the recruiters or owners will speak up and give us the details.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So then after you get done with one of these "24 hour" schools, these companies that advertise here will just throw you the keys to one of their trucks?

Most carriers don't own trucks to throw you the keys to - as an independent contractor, you drive a truck you own [O/O, or owner/operator] or you drive for an owner.
And nearly all require recent experience, because the insurance requires it.

No further training? I notice none of them offer over the road training for new CDL holders?

Most don't even give you a road test, and any 'training' involves watching vids during orientation.
I would like to see more done, like skid pad training, but only Fed Ex [far as I know] offers any extra safety training. Their annual 'Truck Competition" is an excellent way to motivate drivers to get more skilled, and that's a good thing.

Maybe one of the recruiters or owners will speak up and give us the details.

On EO's home page, you'll find a list of dates for seminars about expediting - if you can attend one, it would give you a clearer idea of what is expected. They're all free, and very much worth attending.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
check out the community colledge. I got my class A thru there in florida-also some have grants and scholorships you can apply for and can the course paid for (wish I knew that back when ), cost is alot less than a private school. they can also direct you to third party testing for your road test

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
In Indiana, they have what they called off-site CDL testing locations. They had a class b truck available for taking the test. As I recall the cost was $150.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
if you live in michigan and dont have a job , michigan works will pay for you to get class A license....

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Roadmaster has a three day Class B course. $900 sounds about right for that. You can just pay to have them administer the test for you. That usually includes a truck to use, but you'll probably never drive it beforehand.

The other option is what Dakota said. There are some third party testing sites that are not schools, but just administer the test. Get a friend with a CDL to rent the truck for you and go with you to the test. These places are usually not as rough as the schools might be. Call your DMV that grants the written side of the CDL and they should be able to give you a list of testing facilities.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Here's a list of truck driving schools in South Carolina, some of which I am sure have Class B training. Oh, and the map at the bottom of this page shows the locations that administer the cdl road skills test in SC.

I hope you posted this for general knowledge, and not as a response to the OP, because if he/she hasn't found anywhere in nearly 5 years, he/she isn't capable enough to drive for a living. Just sayin......;)

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
As others have said, lots of CDL schools offer a B, I got mine that way here in Oregon, passed all the written on my own, got a medical card and drug test ahead of time, showed up at the school at the appointed day and spent about 4 hours practical driving, pre trip, etc. and a 3rd party examiner came on site in the afternoon and administered the drive test, all done in one day and I think about $600. This particular school has multiple sites around the state, BUT only one offered the B, I would call around and check with some local schools, I would guess someone offers the same within a few hours drive of where you live. They had a bus for the class B, so got my passenger endorsement too (but not school bus).

Just noticed after posting that the OP dates from 2011, still maybe useful info for other new folks!