Question about fuel surcharge

fireman08068

Seasoned Expediter
ok i will be operating a straight truck for a person who is contracting thru panther. Temporarily i will be by my self. I am offered 45 % of the load plus i get the FSC now for giiggles i figured a 441 mile run at 1.30 a mile minus my 45 %. Saying say 30 cents a mile fuel surcharge its a straight truck so say 7 miles to a gallon. Ifigured it would be like 130 something for that run is make for the surcharge with the price of fuel ill wont make any money. Please tell me im wrong i cant afford to loose money im ready to loose the house am i figuring something wrong ? Im also guessing it will be 240 gallon tank.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I don't think you will see a 1.30/mile with Panther for the most part. You say you are getting the fuel surcharge so are you paying for fuel as well?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
OK
441 miles x $1.30 = $573.30
$573 x 45% = $257.99
441 miles x $.30 fuel surcharge = $132.30
Your pay = $390.29
Minus fuel = $196 (Average for a straight truck is 9 mpg at $4 per gallon)
You keep $194.29
Don't forget about deadhead to pick up and after you deliver you have to deadhead to somewhere to park and wait for the next load.

fireman08068

Seasoned Expediter
The contractor says his trucks are gettin 1.30 a mile. I worked for another one 6 months ago his were getting 1.35

fireman08068

Seasoned Expediter
Ty i figured it out the same i thought some how i came up less in pay so as a solo i can easily do 441 miles a day if i can get the loads so there is room to make money i will be haappy at 194 a day hell i just quit a job in a wharehouse bringing 294 a week home so if i can average that 3 times a week ill be ok. This isnt the first time out i drove for panther before but i didnt have to pay for the fuel so its a new ball game for me.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
With the price of fuel changing the way it has I would figure $4.00 divided by your figure of 7mpg that is a little over .57 per mile for fuel, if you use your figure of 1.30/mile of which you get 45% that is .585/mile plus .30/mile for fuel surcharge, so that is .855/mile total revenue per mile for you but, when you figure .855/mile minus the fuel cost of .57/mile you are left with .285/mile which sucks.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Ty i figured it out the same i thought some how i came up less in pay so as a solo i can easily do 441 miles a day if i can get the loads so there is room to make money i will be haappy at 194 a day hell i just quit a job in a wharehouse bringing 294 a week home so if i can average that 3 times a week ill be ok. This isnt the first time out i drove for panther before but i didnt have to pay for the fuel so its a new ball game for me.

I think you missed the part where jj said not to forget deadhead so you will not be bringing home $194, my guess is from the low pay they are not going to treat you fairly, I wonder if they are going to have you paying the fuel taxes as well.

fireman08068

Seasoned Expediter
here is the offer 45% up to 3000 miles over 3000 is 55% but dont think ill get 3000 by myself. This is only for 3 weeks then i team up. Then its 55% up to 3000 miles and over 3000 is 60% not sure if thats a little more fair.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Rip off if it is as it sounds. The typical split is 60/40 with the 60% side getting 100% of the fsc and paying for the fuel. You would be better off getting 40% and not paying fuel than the deal you mentioned. I'd look for an owner offering more. That one is a rip off.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rip off if it is as it sounds. The typical split is 60/40 with the 60% side getting 100% of the fsc and paying for the fuel. You would be better off getting 40% and not paying fuel than the deal you mentioned. I'd look for an owner offering more. That one is a rip off.

Thanks for pointing that out Leo....I thought those numbers were backwards? Paying fuel and ONLY 45%....darn that is robbery...you should run from that deal....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Please tell me im wrong i cant afford to loose money im ready to loose the house am i figuring something wrong ?

Well don't take this wrong but what makes you think you will make money in this business?

... hell i just quit a job in a wharehouse bringing 294 a week home so if i can average that 3 times a week ill be ok ...

OK why did you quit a job which many of us wouldn't mind having to take a BIG chance on this business.

Times are getting hard for newbies again, maybe some have sold on the idea that it will save their butts but in reality it is a crap shoot.

If YOU have tractor experience, read this thread

http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...forum/48208-help-new-tractor-fleet-owner.html

armin88

Expert Expediter
ok i will be operating a straight truck for a person who is contracting thru panther. Temporarily i will be by my self. I am offered 45 % of the load plus i get the FSC now for giiggles i figured a 441 mile run at 1.30 a mile minus my 45 %. Saying say 30 cents a mile fuel surcharge its a straight truck so say 7 miles to a gallon. Ifigured it would be like 130 something for that run is make for the surcharge with the price of fuel ill wont make any money. Please tell me im wrong i cant afford to loose money im ready to loose the house am i figuring something wrong ? Im also guessing it will be 240 gallon tank.

I just send you a pm.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Fireman: I'd strongly advise you to either renegotiate [agree to pay for fuel only if you get 60% and all the FS], or find another owner. The latter would be smarter, because that owner is cheating you, and if he gets away with it, he'll cheat you in other ways as well.
And I'm not a fan of mileage based bonuses, as we have so little control over the loads offered - we'd all get 2800 miles a week, every week, if they were offered, ya know? But that's a matter of opinion, so you have to decide for yourself if it's fair.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The contracted pay of 1.30 to 1.35 plus fsc is probably accurate. What doesn't work in this deal is 45 percent of the gross and paying for fuel.
Look for another owner that is more in line with either the 60/40 plus 100 percent of the FSC or 40 percent with the owner getting the FSC and paying for the fuel. The first is more profitable if you have a clue as to what you are doing.
Actually can't believe there is a goofball out there paying 45 percent and wanting the driver to pay the fuel. Should be embarrassed.
My vote is with the others.

Last edited:

armin88

Expert Expediter

I think you and I been talking to same owner,I wouldn't work for this owner.45% is a rip off personally I would never drive for an owner who has his driver(s) pay for fuel.I'm searching for another owner.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Periodically people post they would never drive for an owner that didn't pay for fuel as if that's an evil omen. It is not. Smart drivers will always look for an owner who pays 60% plus 100% fsc with an apu on the truck, provided they are also smart enough to drive for mpg not mph.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Periodically people post they would never drive for an owner that didn't pay for fuel as if that's an evil omen. It is not. Smart drivers will always look for an owner who pays 60% plus 100% fsc with an apu on the truck, provided they are also smart enough to drive for mpg not mph.

Why should a driver pay fuel for someone else truck???Its like having an employee pay your business licence,worker's comp ins,business ins,etc.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

With the right company and driving habits you can make money off of the fuel surcharge.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App