Question about express one

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
This is a question to any of you EXPRESS ONE straight truck drivers: Are you getting enough loaded miles to survive right now and approx how many miles are you getting? Here's the situation: I have a friend who is seriously thinking about putting a team non CDL straight truck on with EXPRESS ONE. My friend was told by a recruiter that they'll accept a non CDL straight truck and that they'll do well. The truck is a 262A hino automatic with no airbrakes/air ride and the GVW is 26,000# which makes it a non CDL. What do you guys think?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Wingnut, Most of these carriers can't even uphold their contract rate with the owner ops right now, much less give a few pennies surcharge. At this point, how many miles people are getting is pretty irrelevant. Ya might get make $1040 that week for 800 miles, or your might make $1040 for 1020 loaded miles.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wingnut, Most of these carriers can't even uphold their contract rate with the owner ops right now, much less give a few pennies surcharge. At this point, how many miles people are getting is pretty irrelevant. Ya might get make $1040 that week for 800 miles, or your might make $1040 for 1020 loaded miles.

Minimum is $1.12 +fsc....sooo pretty easy math. Jefferson;)

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I totally agree with you. I've been in this business for many, many years...so I have a good grip on the reality of expedite. Unfortunately, my friend is pretty gullable & pretty much believes what he hears from recruiters......which is kinda sad. That's why I was trying to get some input from you express one straight trucks. I felt it might help to hear from others and to read all the good threads on EO.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Minimums are going to mean very little if the market won't support it.

I know I am finding the load boards the money is low but our own customers are still paying "The Rate"....won't support it is very subjective...I think some carriers are using the economy as an excuse to drop rates to O/O's while they still maintain the same profit margins...

Our rates are not going down any time soon....I was expecting our Sprinter rate would be the first to go...but there is no talk of it yet.

A Message from our President...he quoted a post of mine from in here...

Recently I became aware of a posting on the EO forum
t h a t f ol l o w s :
Well fellow drivers and owners…
What ya think?...as you look around,
other carriers are trimming rates and ours stand firm...looking better
all the time. Express-1 has always kept operating
expenses in check – darn, they are even obsessive about that. And they even managed to buy up another smaller carrier when everyone is cutting back…
Congrats E-1—keep up the good
work...Driving Momentum

I have mentioned this strategy repeatedly to VP’s and fleet owners.
I am committed to addressing the current economic challenges
through aggressive sales efforts and reduction in office, general and
administrative expenses – not by lowering driver rates. We are cutting costs in the office from the cleaning
of the buildings to reducing some employee benefits. We will monitor
every dime we spend in order to keep the company strong and ready to take advantage of a turnaround in the economy

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If a carrier works primarily off the load boards they are prolly in deep doo doo...
it's the customer base that pays the good rates.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
It sure is. But most carriers broker SOME loads in order to feed their trucks in all areas. It's a "you scratch my back and I scratch yours" thing. It's part need, and part cooperation.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It sure is. But most carriers broker SOME loads in order to feed their trucks in all areas. It's a "you scratch my back and I scratch yours" thing. It's part need, and part cooperation.

Well sure..one carrier can't handle say all of GE's loads across the country as another carrier can't handle say Proctor & Gamble...they have to have some co-operation...That is why its called "Partner Group"

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I know I am finding the load boards the money is low but our own customers are still paying "The Rate"....won't support it is very subjective...I think some carriers are using the economy as an excuse to drop rates to O/O's while they still maintain the same profit margins...

Easy enough to find out really; take a handful of your present 1.13 rates ask to see all the paperwork for them,they have to let you see it and have to keep it 3 years. then compare that to a handful of runs at the old rate if what the carrier is paying out is not much different between the two groups then yes that is what is going on.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Hubby and I drive a 22' Hino ST and we have done fair the past 2 weeks. Last week we did 1,571 miles and this week we have done 1,319 so far. Unfortunately we are now sitting in Ft. Pierce, FL and the weekend is coming up. We are really hoping for a load out tomorrow but it doesn't sound promising.

Two weeks ago we only did 500 (and some odd, don't have the numbers in front of me) miles.