Question about DOT Phyiscal...

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Not 100% sure where I should put this so I thought I would try here first. Does anyone know the limitation on the amount of time I need between having back surgery and getting a DOT Card? Or is it just when ever I'm able to pass it? I had back surgery on 10/8, fusion L5/S1. I'm able to walk, sleep, drive, etc, just can't lift over 20lbs nor run. I'm off all pain meds. I lost my job as a Field Engineer and I can't find nothing so I'm thinking about going back driving but not sure on the dot card. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i am guessing it would be a carrier specific issue. although the dot physical is a 2 yr card you have been out of trucking for a while. i am sure the carrier would like to know what your physical limitations are from the doctors view.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If the doc who did the surgery has given you the ok to return to work, and you pass a DOT physical exam, you're good to go - but are you sure you can handle the very long hours in the driver's seat?

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
To be honest, about the only restriction I see is if you have a pulse and the $65 or not. Good luck...