Question about 34 hr restart....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
thanks for that....you get loaded say Friday and it does not deliver till say Monday....can you do the restart while under load?......

Yes, you can restart when under load. You don't have to be OOS to do a reset, you can be in the sleeper. You just can't drive anywhere.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, you can restart when under load. You don't have to be OOS to do a reset, you can be in the sleeper. You just can't drive anywhere.

I can't grasp the difference in language....if you are in the middle of a restart....you can not be available for a load....so technically you are OOS....

WanderngFool

Active Expediter

Kinda like being in prison only slightly more profitable.

Turtle you nailed it. The driver taking the exit is of course in normal driving mode (even though he's taking an unscheduled detour) until he pulls in to the fast food joint and then logs line 1.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
While doing a restart you are either off duty or in the sleeper. You do not have to be out of service. You can accept a load and interrupt the restart if you have the available hours to run the load.
Taking yourself out of service with your carrier means you are not available for loads.
Having the DOT place you out of service means you have no options and you aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I don't know of many straight drivers especially teams that go fast food hunting while under load....even worse for solo's....time is really your enemy...

I run solo and I do it. It's largely a question of butt pain. Every 2 or 3 hours I must stop. I don't have a choice. Soon I'll start a thread begging for affordable seat recommendations. My butt demands it.

I guess my point is most people need to stop anyway. Rest room? Might as well grab some grub.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I run solo and I do it. It's largely a question of butt pain. Every 2 or 3 hours I must stop. I don't have a choice. Soon I'll start a thread begging for affordable seat recommendations. My butt demands it.

Check out the Oregon Aero seat cushions. Affordable is in the pocket of the beholder, but what is your comfort [not to mention ability to work] worth?

I guess my point is most people need to stop anyway. Rest room? Might as well grab some grub.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You do stay in service, and hold your position, during a restart.
You may grab a load worth taking in lieu of the restart, if you have hours.
Or, you may get a load that allows you to finish the restart prior to getting to work.