Put Out Of Service

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anybody ever been put O.O.S. by their carrier, only to find out after the fact? I am not talking about being put O.O.S. for log violations, failure to submit vehicle inspection reports or any other discrepancies. Just arbitrarily put O.O.S. and not notified.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes and before the advent of the Fedex VRU system anybody could call up and give your truck number, mumble a name and put you out. At one time they would also put you out if you had 2 refusals in a row. That went away as it was pushing the edge as to a IC or employee.

It was very frustrating to call up and not find a reason or find out when you were put OTS. Lots of angry calls on that.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes I have Moot. Three weeks or so ago we had a good load on the table going from KY to Vegas for 4K. Gave it to the closest truck the Friday before PU. On Monday AM plan A calls and says "I can't take it, my registration is about to expire. Go to plan B. Plan B says"I can't take it, i'm going to a wedding". Go to plan C. Plan C says "i been out a couple weeks, and I have to go home and pay the rent". Before 10:00 monday 3 folks left 4K on the table, for various and sundry reasons. Sooo, I go to plan D, the old standby,(me). I figgure i'll run Vegas and visit my uncle Bob. Got there Thurs AM early, and did some visiting. Loaded Friday for N.C., nuther 2.8K. The fellas left nearly 7K on the table for various and sundry reasons, and, our fleet is short some folks for various and sundry reasons. OOS permanet.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
X-Man, hope all is well with Uncle Bob. Did you spend a great amount of time under the Las Vegas sun? The reasons I ask are various and sun dried. That hot Vegas sun can do to your brain what it does to a grape.

Rich, I think you may be on to something. 12 hours prior to my discovering that I had been placed out of service, I had refused two load offers. I needed some sleep. It is shameful that they would place someone O.O.S. without notifying them. I guess I am still learning the rules to the game.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Yes I was placed out of service before as my carrier had his authority suspended for failure to update his insurance as it had lapsed.
I was in Texas and got pulled over by a DOT lady. I knew I was in trouble - she pulled up beside me, you know how they do that, grabbed my DOT number and she kept driving up the road, but she got about 50-feet in front of me, and slowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down, and with no one else in sight - I just knew their was a paper problem.
Sure enough, she told me she pulled me over because his DOT had been suspended. I had to call him, he had to show proof he got it updated and then he had to pay a fine. Well, that took about five or six hours to get fixed and I was late for my drop in St. Pete Florida. The good thing of it was the DOT lady was really nice and assured me it was nothing that would show up on my record.
I just checked the DOT safety website and his authority has been revolked all together now - marking the third time in the last year. Anyone can check any DOT authority status, insurance and other details by going to:

http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/CompanySnapshot.aspx

It's a practice I do every month or so.

Fort Wayne

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ft Wayne: that's a handy reference, thanks for posting it.
Moot: I've had the same experience, finding I was OOS without knowing it, and even know of one o/o who discovered herself listed online as having been "released by owner"....HUH?!
I really feel that anyone who is placed OOS ought to receive the courtesy of a notification, at least.

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
I have been placed out of service more than once, for good enough reasons. The PROBLEM is that I was not notified, not once, never.
I have taken to checking my status on the PC. This is also good for keeping track of refusals that shouldn't be charged as a refusal.
I think I'll go check my status right now.;)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
>I have been placed out of service more than once, for good
>enough reasons.

Whitey what were the circumstances that put you out of service? Was it refusing loads? Who are you leased to?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FedEx once asked us to go out of service, which we did. We were very tired and tried to play the, *let's stay in service and turn down a bad load* game. We were WAY down the list so we did not expect an offer. AS ALWAYS, we had two load offers minutes apart which we turned down. When asked why we said we were too tired to run. They kindly asked us to go out of service so they would not count on us to service a customer. A leason learned. We did go out of service and lost an entire weekend of work, BUT, FedEx was not looking at us for help. We were wrong to try to stay in service when we were too tired to work. FedEx is normally fair with us, they deserve the same.
Layoutshooter

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
i don,t think i have been put out of service without me knowing usally when that happens it means you did something you probaly should,nt have i did have once when i was not put in service when i had asked to be put back in supposedly it was an accident although i thought maybe an accident on purpose but then again it could have been an honest mistake

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
I have never been put out for refusing a load per se, but one dispatcher put me out for "refusing to negotiate", I got that thrown out pretty quick.
Otherwise put out for administrative stuff, no problem except that it would have been easily handled if I had KNOWN (and it wasn't stuff in the manual, either).
Put me out of sevice, fine, but please advise me of same.
Heading towards three years with the Cat.
If I need to be put out of service for whatever reason, fine.
PLEASE COMMUNICATE THAT TO ME THOUGH !

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
On Friday, I received a call about 4:00 pm letting me know that dispatch had received an email from safety letting them know I was out of service for paperwork and dispatch just wanted to let me know so I would not be out all weekend as I would not be able to reach safety. This dispatcher, who I do not know took time out to let me know about this situation, I told her I appreciated the call and would check with safety but I was pretty sure they had received all the paper work that was due and she said maybe the info had passed in the network I called safety and yes everything was in order and the email and my paperwork had passed somewhere in the system. But again, this dispatcher took time out to give me a call. And I really did appreciate the call since I have been out of service for over a month and needed to get back in service. Therefore, I am on the board ready to roll.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The big thing with this is to let drivers know. It is on their screen which is how I watch our drivers, so never a problem. I could see an issue when someone has no internet access.
As far as the "refusing to negotiate" we have never had that happen.
It would not be a recommended idea on someone in dispatch to approach me with that line.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
"Refusing to negotiate" is a true story.
I said "No, thank you." to a load offer. The dispatcher kept hounding me, I repied that it was not about the money, again, no thank you. I was put out of service. To make it worse, my phone was locked out, Panther wouldn't take my calls.
I happened to be within shouting distance of the HQ so I paid a personal visit. This was about 1 1/2 years ago.
True story.
There is lot's of good with Panther but don't kid yourself, the weak or smart are usually gone quick.
I am still with them and like them despite their flaws.
Otherwise, I have never been put out of servive for refusing a load.
I really believe they are too busy for pettiness.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My reason for posting this is because of a phone call I received early Friday morning inquiring when I would be back in service. I don't recall taking myself out of service and then again I still don't recall taking myself out of service. Had it not been for the phone call I would still be out of service and not "aware" of it. Or would I be made "aware" and just not know I was out of service. Is being a ware anything like being a lert?

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Moot,

We had a team put oos once and I saw it on the owners screen...I called the team to see what was up because it was very strange...they had no idea....so I called dispatch and had some research done to find out WHO had put them oos.....turned out that a dispatcher had talked to a different truck and they had asked her to put them oos and she mistakenly put my team's truck oos.....luckily we caught it or else they would have sat 3 days wondering why no load. An honest mistake.

-charlotte

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is the second time it has happened to me that I know of in 15 months.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think that is a quick fix at the next Panther meeting or driver council.
A confirmation needs to be sent to the driver/truck via QC/phone call if one is put out of service for any reason. Should be a quick fix.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator