Purple no more

Special K

Expert Expediter
Some of you may have wondered, "Would my company care if I left?"
Now we can answer that.
A bit of background to set the scene:
We started with Roberts Express in 1995, so we have as much history at the company as most others.
Yesterday (Friday), Doc and I gave our 10-day written notice of intent to cancel our lease agreement.
A few weeks ago we told our CC that we had begun to think about leaving.
Her response was a bored, "If you do, there are plenty of others waiting to take your place."
She gave us not one word of concern, not even asking, "Why?"
(That came from a person who is supposed to help us with problems?)
When I called Contractor Relations yesterday and told the person who answered that we intended to cancel our contract, I received a bored, completely distinterested, "Really?"
Again, not one word of anything even slightly concerned.
We think that (maybe) some of the White Glove dispatchers will be disappointed, for a minute, but apparently nobody else in Green will care even slightly.
Fortunately for us, there are still companies who send one offer to one truck, are not interested in electronic logging, do not impose strange ideas about the personal use of one's own truck while off-duty, know all of their drivers by name, do not speak to us in a demeaning or condescending manner, and would never DREAM of demanding that an owner-operator (independent contractor) haul explosives when they prefer not to.
Our preference is based on our losing massive amounts of money ($5,000 to $6,000 a MONTH less than we did while doing non-DoD regular freight).
When we asked not to haul explosives any more, they said we'd be kicked out of White Glove.
We've read the lease agreement over and over, and nowhere does it say anything about requiring us to lose revenue for the convenience or profit of the company.
Fortunately, our chosen Plan B company is delighted and enthusiastic to get us, our truck, our WG equipment, our record, and our experience.
The signs are off, the Qualcomm is out, and we feel better than we have in a long time.
For those of you who still enjoy doing that other stuff, great.
For any who might feel interested in getting out from under the heavy purple thumb, there is an excellent alternative.
We wish we had known about it 2 years ago.
Best wishes to everyone,
Marda Rushing.
PS. Doc, the captain aboard our truck, has read and approved this message.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good Luck with your new company and I hope you post where you have moved your truck to.

Special K

Expert Expediter
Linda - Thanks for the wishes. I'm saving the "where" for private messages (of which I've received several already. I didn't expect that!) Marda

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
We too have been with the company since the Roberts Express days.
I'm not on this forum (or any other trucking forum for that matter) very much. I just checked it today after being on vacation for a while to see if any was saying anything about the company trying the millage trucks......again. NADA

I agree with everything you said and I won't comment any further. It is FECC loss your leaving.

I've always said that there are customers willing to pay a premium price for a premium service, but it seems that the only thing anybody is interested in is how cheep the goods can be hauled.

Good luck with your new company.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Thanks very much --
not only to those who commented above
but also to those who sent us PMs.
We received a surprisingly large number of PMs.
Every one of them expressed support and approval of one type or another.
Nobody expressed disapproval.
Again, thanks very much to each of you.
Marda has just posted another message --
in the general forum --
because she can no longer post at the FedUp CC forum.
The title of her new thread is "Another Life after FedEx CC".
Here's a link: http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/42642-another-life-after-fedexcc.html
You may find her information to be helpful and interesting.
Best wishes,
Doc.

Last edited: