Public Apology

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Dear Guy Who Gave Me A Chance,

I am deeply sorry if you feel I disrespected you on this site or through any other channels. I DO appreciate the chance you gave me as a driver with no experience. I wish I also could have gotten my haz-mat sooner, but I got it done as fast as possible. My state takes 10 weeks to return with a background check, I have have not heard of anyone getting them faster. My intention with your offer to take me on as a driver, was to stay on for at least 365 days, no matter what. I understood that I really had nothing to offer ANY truck owner other than my drive to learn the job and willingness to stick it through whatever tough times may come.

However, due to the condition of the truck at the time I came into it, there were some things which I feel I have every right to complain about, since they affected my safety, the safety of others, and absolutely affected the potential for earnings for all involved. I am not even talking about the a/c, although that should count for something, as it is difficult to sleep in a 95 degree box with a heat rash. Yes, I was a bit curt and maybe a touch offensive the last time I talked with you, as everything had seemingly fallen apart. I went out on the truck and except for 3 days we were in our home area, stayed out for 9 weeks. I feel after listening to stories from other driver's experiences, both good and bad, that yes, you were probably the best owner anyone could ever work for, but I feel strongly that the equipment was the most significant reason for any financial problems that developed. Not from the perspective of a businessman, but from my elementary understanding of 'money in minus money out'.

I had, and still have, the utmost respect for you, as you were a great person to have as an owner and as a mentor. I cannot make a stronger statement about how I wish it had ended differently. As I am sure you know, I am still learning how to make a living out here. No doubt it will be years before I am even close to the understanding that business owners like yourself have of the industry, if ever. But what I do know, I know I did nothing but but best I could with what I had/didn't have: experience, knowledge, everything. I did the very best I could, and do not regret the experience.

As for disrespecting you, I do not feel that discussing my experience with others should be taken as such. Take this post as you may, I am simply expressing my opinion and dismay that this has become an issue that causes pain.

....I would appreciate any comments from ANYONE reading this to be posted. Mods- Although this may seem as a private matter, I would like this to be posted, as the intended party of this post feels I have disrespected him on this site. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Apparently this is the comment where I went too far:

"I started with a sizeable savings when I began driving in April, but the first truck/owner I was with had some major issues that seriously undermined my earning potential- already limited by my inexperience.
You won't make money sitting in a shop every week."

If I am fault, let my apology be known.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
At this point I don't see a problem because no names other than your own are mentioned. A lot of things come into play when looking at mechanical issues. Even brand new equipment doesn't necessarily translate into maintenance free.
That being said, I guess it depends on whether the owner was proactive and made a attempt to get your repairs addressed. Sometimes the fault may lie with the dealers/repair facilities, because some are very difficult to get them to do quality work in a timely fashion. All to often, many are nothing more than parts changers @ $100.00 per hour. "God forbid" they would ever have to diagnose anything.
Again, I don't know your situation but just looking at the whole picture from a owners prospective. Maybe you could call him personally and address the issue.

Good luck

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Let begin by saying that a meek and humble spirit is worth its weight in gold. Most folks are so full of pride (I, I, I,) that they could never admit any wrongdoing.

Just the fact that you were humble enough to make a public apology is a testimony to your character. If I had an extra truck available I would consider placing you in it, simply on the basis that you have some character, as opposed to being a "character".

It should come as no surprise to any person who has been alive for 10 years or more, that there are good people, and not so good people, in this world.

What seems to be underlying theme within the workforce is that many male business owners operate under the impression that women will accept a bad employment situation because they have limited employment opportunities; hence, they are also unlikely to put up a fuss regarding appalling circumstances. Of course, that is why so many women do not like to shop for cars, insurance, maintenance services, etc. by themselves. I can't begin to tell you the number of women that have asked me to go with them when dealing with service or sales centers.

That said, I will relate a situation that I personally witnessed. During an orientation I met a middle-aged lady of Mexican heritage who was going to drive for a fleet owner. She had come all the way from Texas on the bus and then took a cab from the bus station to the orientation center. She was going to stay in the truck during orientation, but the truck was so poorly maintained that it would not pass the carrier's inspection. During the orientation she would step out and attempt to contact the owner so the he could approve the repairs that needed to be done. The owner was never readily available to the driver. He also wanted every repair to done "bare bones", if you know what I mean! The lady also had to pay for a hotel room, because she had no place to sleep. She could showered at the orientation facility and saved the expense of the hotel had the truck owner properly maintained the vehicle. During the course of the orientation several of us helped her with getting to Wal-Mart to buy some food and personal items. Moreover, we took the time to assist her with learning the QC and HOS regulations. After the orientation, as we were all leaving, there sat the woman’s truck still trying to pass inspection.

Yes, I understand that we should all do our research before making a business decision, but her choice was based upon immediate need. She was hungry, she had bills and she had family that needed her support. When was the last time you had to even think about where your next meal was coming from? Our biggest challenge is deciding what we are going to eat; her challenge had been deciding “if†she was going to eat. I later learned that the fleet owner was also of Mexican-American heritage and that he specifically hired drivers of the same heritage.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Janet,

I think you presented your side with respect, and without naming names.. and we can definately understand. Even tho this is a personal matter, we will leave this up for now, as perhaps owners and drivers alike can learn from it.

While no owner is required to supply a 'Cadillac' of trucks, it is their responsibility to make sure you have a safe vehicle that will allow to do your job in a reasonable amount of comfort.

I'm sure your original comments were made from the frustration of having a sub-par vehicle, even tho you had communicated to the owner. Don't feel bad for that.

Sounds like the Hazmat issue was simply a matter of communication. Many carriers do require a Hazmat endorsement before beginning, and not having one would have limited your options. Your other choice would have been to wait til you got the background check, or go with a carrier who didn't require Hazmat.

Thank you for presenting your side in a professional manner... but I'm sure many can read between the lines that there were issues that were not your fault.

Good luck with your future career.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/font]

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I see nothing that needs an apology. You didn't say "That John Doe is a miserable piece of garbage." you stated your situation. If the specific owner recognized him/herself and felt an apology was in order is was more likely due to personal guilt at seeing the truth in print. It's easier to not acknowledge something when it's not in writing. I agree with David. You sound like a person with integrity. I suspect you will do well in the long term. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Funny, I had heard there was a website or something where I could talk with others in the same profession as myself...discuss our experiences, ask questions, etc.

I think I found it.

I am crying. Again. I was so overwhelmed by anger when I received the brief *barbed-wired* e-mails from him, that I felt I needed to respond in an open forum, since that was apparently the source of aggravation.

I did everything I was told, and stuck through it all. We were not even able to deliver our last load because of mechanical issues.

I just do not understand why someone would be so cold, when after everything was done, I still totally respected and admired the man, saying to my family that if he ever got back in the business, I would love to work for him again. From what I understand (very little, by the way) is he is a great businessman and for whatever reasons: be it bad luck, a bad truck, or some bad months, it was just what businesses do. Sometimes c#ap happens.

I really, truly appreciate your guys' support, as I was beating myself up thinking I had done something wrong. As strong as you try to be on the outside, sometimes some little thing can just put you over the edge...I'm going to take a nap now.

Ps. Rev, I am one of those crazy women who buys her own car- and haggles, too. But when someone catches me at the right moment, I still let them mess me up. I'm still growing up...:)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Janet,

Thanks for the kind words about our site. Nobody's perfect.. Lord knows we're not.. LOL.. but we try to give support when we can.

Hang in there.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/font]

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
How refreshing to read a post regarding a bad experience that is well written, without name calling and admittedly that problems are sometimes the fault of both the owner and driver. Janet, I would think that any owner would appreciate the professionalism you have shown in your post. Best of Luck

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Janet, you already have every single thing required to be successful, except more experience. We learn from the bad experiences, (probably more than from the good ones), and we continue, strengthened by what we've learned.
EO is here to help you learn from the experience of others, just as someone may learn from yours, and the karmic circleness of it all is pretty cool, huh? ;) (Please don't tell me that 'circleness isn't a word - I make words up sometimes, ok?)
Even if all we can offer is validation, sometimes: welcome to EO.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Karmic circleness? Cheri, are we going to have to start attaching the Twilight Zone theme to your posts?

ChuckWVP

Expert Expediter
Janet, I don't suppose you live anywhere near NC? I own a class 8 Volvo straight truck that I've been driving for the past three years myself. Sometime in the near future I'm thinking seriously of putting a driver in that truck...someone like yourself. Although it's not necessary to keep the truck in NC, I do like to keep on top of the truck's maintenance and repairs...and I have good people here who take care of that. The truck is leased with FedEx Supply Chain Services and I work out of the Atlanta crossdock. Deliveries are done throughout the southeastern US. It will be hard for me to have someone else drive my truck when that time does come, but I'd like to have a driver who can be depended upon to get the job done. Sounds like you are such a person.
(Unfortunately, I just happen to think...this division requires two years experience...maybe we can talk then? Thanks...

Chuck

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Oddly, I did not expect to get such a warm response from everyone. I have been with a great owner since July, and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. But thanks guys, maybe this is going to be of help to someone like me who didn't have experience- but just wanted to dive in headfirst and go.
I love this, I think I should stop calling it a job- its my life. :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We will have to chime in with everyone else on how well you handled this and you also get to see the really good side of EO. You are also right in calling this a life style and not a job. If anyone just considers this a job in no time at all they are going to be miserable.