pro or no locked out

finney

Expert Expediter
Interesting. I was just getting ready to post a "Let's get back on track." memo when the thread was snipped.

Try again, and try to keep between the zipper and the fog line: Pro or no?

I'm waiting to see what the general consensus is among people that can at least log onto some website or other; it's got to beat askin' the people (overheard on the radio) who believe the reason we don't invade 'Cuber' is because 'Cuber' has ten times the military strength of the US. What really bothered me about that statement was that the other guy agreed with 'im.
I really don't have any desire to ask those guys if truck driving is a profession or not.

Back at it and without writin' stuff that locks out the thread, please.

And to the driver (assumed) that asked me what I did before...Jackie Presser used to give me and my sister two quarters apiece when he came by the house. It was a small fortune for small people, but I still remember him handing us two quarters apiece to go to the store. As you can imagine, we were always excited when he came by. Today, I realize that he was gettin' us out of the way to talk to dad without any little ears that might hear and then say something 'inconvenient'.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
We must have lived in the same neighborhood? Except Presser's goons torched my fathers little trucking company! You had better luck getting that quarter out of him than we did! I'm proud to be an independent, always have been always will be.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 Thumbs up Glen I have 1 year as a Company Driver and 26 as a Independent and am Proud of what I've done as a 1 truck operation.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the flowers! I'm done venting, that was a long time ago.. time to move forward! Hope your holiday is great, and safe!

finney

Expert Expediter
Outside of a basic philosophical difference concerning National and Multinational unions in general, my dad's experiences with the Teamsters working for Fitzsimmons and Presser cast in cement (Jimmy, anyone?) the idea that I didn't want anything to do with 'em. It wasn't until I was older that I figured out that Dad was primarily an enforcer and a bagman. It was a warm-up for his time as a State Liquor agent, I reckon.

On the pro or no question: Name one professional society that governs and/or reviews the practices of truck drivers, either collectively or individually, and has authority to strip a driver of his or her abilty to operate a commercial vehicle for failure to adhere to its tenents.

Does altering the meaning of a word change the thing that the word once identified?
For example: Does calling an apple a pear *make* it a pear, or does it just change the name by which we describe a fruit of such and such properties?
On the flip side there's this: Does calling some of the most unhappy (and short lived, I might add) people I've ever met merry (gay) make them so, or does it just alter the meaning of the word to the point where it either bears a new meaning in the general lexicon or comes to have no meaning at all? Consider the word 'gentleman' before you respond. It used to mean something specific (one who owned property) and as such was a description of something that was understood by all (he owns property), but has since come to mean something so broad and general that the word now has nearly no meaning whatever as a descriptive term.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>On the flip side there's this: Does calling some of the
>most unhappy (and short lived, I might add) people I've ever
>met merry (gay) make them so, or does it just alter the
>meaning of the word to the point where it either bears a new
>meaning in the general lexicon or comes to have no meaning
>at all? Consider the word 'gentleman' before you respond.
>It used to mean something specific (one who owned property)
>and as such was a description of something that was
>understood by all (he owns property), but has since come to
>mean something so broad and general that the word now has
>nearly no meaning whatever as a descriptive term.

YES!!,I MEAN NO!!. I'M SORRY WHAT WAS THE QUESTION. DD.