Powerwashing trucks

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I want to powerwash my truck, especially the engine compartment. I have a power washer that sprays at 3000 psi. Obviously that is too high. What PSI is safe for spraying a truck to clean it but not damage the paint. Also is it safe to spray the motor, I know I should be cafeful but what do I want to avoid as to not to damage like electronics etc.?

Thanks

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Can't say for sure about the engine, but I have been warned about the marker and signal lights.

If the assembly is "Pressure Fitted" into the body as opposed to being held in place by screws, it can damage the lamp.

Also, be careful with your graphics.

If watch the guys at Blue Beacon, they will pull back with their wand when they get on graphics.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
If you are ever thru Wythville, VA the guys at the Iowa 80 do the best job I have ever paid for. To Wash and Brush a TT is $67.50 and includes wheel brightner that REALLY WORKS. Add another $10. for Engine.

Just need a Salt wash off, if the truck was cleaned the week before it comes out looking great. I did this every week this last winter, I never once brushed it only had them spray it off, Tractor is $17.50 and another $20.00 for the trailer. Not bad since I wanted this done every week in the winter saved my budget on wash's.

I would prefere not to do it myself but let them do it and slip them another $20 if you feel you want more attention and try to do it at off hours they will give you all the attention you would need.

Some things are just not worth ones time, unless you really enjoy it. Its not the problem for me doing the job, its getting this out and that out, soap dillution, rinse it anda than the sun dries it before I can rinse heck for $80.00 they can do a bang up great job, or for just $20. they do a wonderfull job. I have to value time somehow.