Powerstroke and 4 speed automatic

Rainbow 1 1

Expert Expediter
I had my transmission rebuilt at 100k and now just blew it again at 200k. Ford dealer and transmission shop both said that was not unusual for this engine tranny setup. Seems like I might be better off with the FORD 5.4 or CHEVY 5.7. My truck is the 250 and was told that the 350 has a different tranny. Is the 350 setup better?
Or should go to an FL70 which I see on the road more than anything else. No Weave, I won,t get a 3126. ;)

riddler

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Go to bd-power.com... They can answer any question you have about your diesel even tranny questions... I hope this helps. Also ask them about what you can do about increasing fuel economy. They have things like that..

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Nothing wrong with the Powerstroke, other than it likes to eat up automatics alive, esp Ford AOD's. The dealer and shop are correct. GM's automatics are better than Ford's, unfortunately the same can't be said for GM's diesel engine offerings compared to the Powerstroke. Automatic transmissions, in general, are not going to stand up to much abuse though. "The nature of the beast."
-Weave-
The "new" International built Ford Powerstroke Diesel is out. It is 6.0 liters compared to the old 7.2L, but is lighter, more powerful, and gets better fuel mileage.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I have two e350's with 7.3's my 99 has almost 400,000 on it,thought the trans went at 150'000 i changed the shift cellinoid in the trans, a dealer part that was around 150 bucks.I have had no trouble since, i thought it was worth a try,if it didn't work it was rebuilt trans time.If the overdrive light on the shifter is blinking i would replace cellinoid.

streetsweeper

Expert Expediter
Howdy gang! I've found my back to EO. I've relocated to Boise Idaho from Washington State and finally getting settled in. Hope everyone has been doing Ok.

Another thing to look at on the Ford AOD's is the trans oil pan. Ford in their infinite wisdom, put out two different tranny pans. One is shallow, the other deep. Two different styles of filters are in use too. The shallow pan filter has a very short suction pickup, the deep pan filter has a suction pickup that is aprox 2-3 inches long and a bend in it.

The top end or outlet side of the filters are exactly the same. Bad news is...a mechanic might opt to use the shallow pan filter in place of the deep pan filter. Shallow pan trans holds aprox 11.7 qts. Deep pan trans holds aprox 13.7 qts.

I will get the part numbers and post them here for your reference.