Possible Solution For Cargo Van A/C

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I saw this press release about this new and innovative A/C for small trucks. This may be a good solution for cargo van A/C:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/article_002663.html

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

A billion Chinese can't be wrong, eat rice.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dura-Therm had a simular self contained unit out a few years ago. Ran off 3 deep cell batteries. BENTZ installed them in 3 of a customers trucks. All of the drivers said AC would not last through the night,and they would wake up sweating.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I heard of a simular issue but can't remember who the unit was made by.
They need one that goes 8 hours at maximum cool without a charge.

The other question would be, how often do you have to replace batteries. Apparently they have a pretty good draw.

Maybe the manufacturer could relay the information.
Davekc

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
The problem with this unit is it is just a 110 unit ran on a inverter. A true 12 volt system would be more efficent. a 10 amp draw through a inverter is roughly 100 amp draw at 12 volts. I'm digging right now because I looked in to a few a/c units that where true 12 volt units. One was made for a boat, the other a golf cart. Any 12 volt unit is going to require a lot of amps to run so batteries probably will only last a season or two. Buy the right batteries and they will always be under warranty. Walmart sells their Maxx line batteries in a deep cycle that provides 75 amp hours. One of those runs my 12 volt fridge for 3 or 4 days.

I'll see if I can dig up the links.

http://www.dcbreeze.com/
http://www.wagners12voltair.com/

Neither are cheap, but with all the idle laws it might become a must to have.

I've also spoted a small window unit at Walmart and Sams that they claim pulls 535 watts at 120 volts. Something a 1500 watt inverter should run just fine, however you would probably need 5 or 6 batteries to run it all night. Not sure how it could be mounted but it is also 5000 btu's. They sell for 77 bucks.

DuMass

Expert Expediter
http://www.dcbreeze.com/price.htm
inlet grill (non-ducted installation, choose white or black) and seawater cooling pump.

Use the pricing and information below to upgrade to a digital thermostat, add a ducted air inlet or split the air discharge to multiple outlets. Seawater pumps are provided for spare/replacement units.

I don't believe this unit will work in a truck. IIUC the seawater pump is how they condense the refrigerant for this type of unit.

http://yachtmd.com/new_page_2.htm
This is where I first looked at them and it would be a great solution. Am I wrong or do you need to be in water to use this type of a/c unit?

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Looks like they all need seawater except the unit made for golf carts. I think they use the water to carry the heat away from the condensor (the part that would be out side on a window unit) because water cools better than air, plus sea water should be lower temp than the air.

Guess we are stuck with the golf cart air unit or I believe espar of mi sells a 12 volt unit.

comfort king

Expert Expediter
Sounds like you may be referring to a product called DC AIRCO. It is a 12 volt, 9000 btu, roof mounted system with a variable speed compressor to lessen the battery draw.

It's installed with a pair of 6 volt batteries, the type used in golf carts and floor scrubbers. We have feedback from users, the unit will cool a full size Sprinter 8 - 10 hours.

The guys @ Espar of Michigan can install the product for you. They are good guys to work with. You can call them @ 800.837.3900.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is there any reason this couldn't be installed on a truck sleeper as well? The sleeper space in my D unit is only half as large as the inside of a Sprinter van. A straight truck could carry more batteries as well to extend the run time. Even with battery replacement it would probably never add up to the cost of an APU system. For that matter a small Honda type generator of some sort could probably be installed to recharge the batteries if the truck was going to sit between runs longer than a charge would last.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

windjamer

Seasoned Expediter
the thing everyone forgets about is using deep cycle batteries means they have to be SLOW charged an alternator charges to fast and kills the battery life.Also a alternator can make a deep cycle HOT i had ran a deep cycle under the hood to charge it after using it.i drove with this deep cycle under the hood for several weeks,I was a street performer and i would drive to a town open hood pull out deep cycle battery hook my inverter and guitar amp up and rock.Worked great!Then when the gig was up put back under hood ,drive to charge it up.Well one night hooking it back up it was hot and blew up in my face.I had emergency surgery on my eyes and still have eye sight problems today.Please be careful with batteries.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I don't believe this unit will work in a truck. IIUC the seawater pump is how they condense the refrigerant for this type of unit.

http://yachtmd.com/new_page_2.htm
This is where I first looked at them and it would be a great solution. Am I wrong or do you need to be in water to use this type of a/c unit?

Yes you have to have water coming in. Either under pressure or a separate supply pump. On our boat we have 3-16k reverse cycle heat/ac units. The pump pumps water to a manifold then the manifold splits it equally to the 3 units. The AC part works really well. The heat part has a limitation of 40 deg supply water temp. While I gave used it down to 36 deg, it is not as efficient and runs for ever. This would not work in a cmv.

There is however s portable AC unit that runs off of 110 volts. You would need a roof vent of 15"x15". Don't hold me to that size, but it is not small. You open the hatch back, set the unit over that open. Seal it with included hood. Plug it in from inside the vehicle, let the condensate hose hang down the outside and you have AC. The problem is you cannot fix mount it and it has to go on top of the van. Not an easy thing to do. I would not use it. They are pricey at about $700.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I saw this press release about this new and innovative A/C for small trucks. This may be a good solution for cargo van A/C:

ExpeditersOnline.com

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

A billion Chinese can't be wrong, eat rice.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

I dont see anything A/C related on that page?:confused:

jw-bama

Seasoned Expediter
i had a Nite system with 4 amg batteries in my kenworth that would run 10 hrs on low,which would freeze you.its not a very good system for expedite because u have to charge the batteries after 10 hrs so your sitting in laredo the first day is great but u have to idle 5 hrs to recharge for another 10 hrs running. im in a van now and have a 2000 honda gen. with a 100$ window air conditioner in the back door that works great.

shmekeru

Active Expediter
i had a Nite system with 4 amg batteries in my kenworth that would run 10 hrs on low,which would freeze you.its not a very good system for expedite because u have to charge the batteries after 10 hrs so your sitting in laredo the first day is great but u have to idle 5 hrs to recharge for another 10 hrs running. im in a van now and have a 2000 honda gen. with a 100$ window air conditioner in the back door that works great.

What kind of 100$ window air conditioner you have jw-bama ? I like the idea )

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have the Honda 2000i and a 5000 but window unit (99.00) nstalled in the side door .....works.just dandy.....I'm In Laredo now just chillin.....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App