Portable Generator?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
aefce5d5-8bc1-3757.jpg

Here is my setup....

This cost 1100.00...its 2000 watt...I run the thing 24/7 when.I'm parked ..it will go 50-60 hrs between fill UPS....it has 12v output also so its hardwired into my " house batteries" so there being charged too....

---- I have tried just about everything ...had 3 different generators..all the cheap ones out there.......They don't work!!! trial and error I have came to this....you can not get any better than this .....u have to.spend $ to make $

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
asjssl,

That's a good idea, beats dragging it out every time you stop. I have the same generator. You need an Aluminum box. How bout sending a picture of the inside of the door that it hangs on.

I have a couple of diamond plated aluminum box's but probably will have to frame in steel to hang it.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
How many watts does a 9000btu rooftop air pull? And as I said early, probably the smallest air unit would cool my sleeper. 9000 the smallest?

Sent from my rooted DroidX running official Froyo, using Tapatalk!

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Does the box have to be open, or is there a way to have it vented while closed?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
How many watts does a 9000btu rooftop air pull? And as I said early, probably the smallest air unit would cool my sleeper. 9000 the smallest?

Most of them will take about 800-900watts to start. Starting is where your heaviest usage is. Once it starts and cycles it will cut back. It depends on which on you have. If you look at the spec sheet that comes with it, it will tell you. It should cut back to about 3-400 watts while just running. But you also have load factor. Read your spec sheet.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter

There are smaller ones. This specific one is an LG model. It says on thr back of it that it is 115v, 60hz, 9.2A, input 980W.

I know they had a 7000 at the Home Depot where wse got this one.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
asjssl,

That's a good idea, beats dragging it out every time you stop. I have the same generator. You need an Aluminum box. How bout sending a picture of the inside of the door that it hangs on.

I have a couple of diamond plated aluminum box's but probably will have to frame in steel to hang it.

I tried several different setups b4 I settled with this idea.....the goal was not to setup camp everytime u stop....I just flip open the lid and pull the cord.....done!! why do I need an aluminum box??this works just dandy....what's the problem w/ it?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Does the box have to be open, or is there a way to have it vented while closed?

I keep it open....suppose u could leave it closed....but the more air the better ....

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
I tried several different setups b4 I settled with this idea.....the goal was not to setup camp everytime u stop....I just flip open the lid and pull the cord.....done!! why do I need an aluminum box??this works just dandy....what's the problem w/ it?

What do you have it in now? Is that what it comes in?

Camper

Not a Member
For number 2, yes you can run an A/C unit off an inverter, doing that right now as I type but I also have 15 large batteries on line to handle the load and another 15 off line for backup.

Hey Greg,

Can you please enlighten us as to what the cost of your set up is? I'm just curious as to what/if any advantage there is to this type setup.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
The math I have done, with gen, air, box, extra tank, dc charger and approximate install, I think somewhere around $3000....probably a little less. And if I'm close on this, that's considerable savings from $10000. And currently, they use less fuel than diesel gens, and most notably, gas costs less than diesel. Just another benefit.

Does this sound right? Am I even close here?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What do you drive? CV, ST, TT..?? I mean I know an apu isn't going on a CV, but from your post, I can't tell what you drive...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

No problem I was just thinking of fixing up to look better that's all. ;)

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
I drive a straight truck.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
How exactly are you saying to mount this thing?

Monty

Expert Expediter
I had a long talk with a Honda engineer about enclosing a 2000i, he plainly stated , that generator is ALREADY encased, further restricting the air flow around it may result in premature failure due to excessive heat. Even with an enclosed box with a fan installed will not allow it to cool adequately. It's designed to work in an open enviroment. Period.

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My 2000i has been in a box for over a year and still running strong ...period.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I had a long talk with a Honda engineer about enclosing a 2000i, he plainly stated , that generator is ALREADY encased, further restricting the air flow around it may result in premature failure due to excessive heat. Even with an enclosed box with a fan installed will not allow it to cool adequately. It's designed to work in an open enviroment. Period.

But the problem is that the 2000i and other inverter generators don't completely seal the electronics and if they are exposed to water like if they mounted outside and the vehicle wades through water, they may short out the inverter board. I have a few inverter generators sitting here which I have to repair the boards, one is a honda that sat on the front of a van for a year and finally broke down because it got really really wet one day.