PM budget for a CV/Sprinter

mzraik

Active Expediter
Hello All,

If we just focus on the PM's, (Preventive Maintenance), then we are talking about mileage/time, regardless of revenues.

Depending on your maintenance schedule, 10K, 8K,5K, or any other figure, it will drive your PM costs.
Other maintenance outside of PM's would then be added to that.

If your Oil Change and Lubrication costs you $300.00, then it could be reasonable to figure a $3000.00 cost per 100,000 miles if changed at 10k intervals. If the costs is higher, then adjust accordingly.

Add to that another ($1500.00) for tires and other small repairs and replacements, and you will probably be close to actual PM costs for the vehicle at 100,000 miles.

I would say plan on $4500.00 per 100k, just for PM's. And have another $5000.00 in the background for surprises. Even at these figures you could end up not having enough immediate cash to get you out of a serious breakdown.

Until your out of the warrantee, you should stick to the approved MB game plan. They specify certain fluids and oils/lubricants and other parts so that the highly confabulated sensors work as expected and the CPU correctly makes the F/A, transmission and other adjustments to meet the EPA standards, and hopefully the MPG standards.

Car and Truck manufacturers are regulated from all sides and it is crazy nutz trying to fulfill All of the reg's. So far, they have been able to meet the demands, but that will soon crash as the 2014 specifications come into full enforcement. You'll hear the manufacturers crying about not being able to meet All of the specs. To get better MPG's, you need to pollute more, to get better emissions, you have to sacrifice MPG's. It's gonna be a cluster ****...! and we'll be the ones left out in the cold. I could go on, but that's enough for now... :)

mzraik

Active Expediter
The gasoline Ford Transit is sounding better and better.

I like the Transit Hightop Extended version, but don't have any specs yet - MPG, Load capacity, etc.

My NV 2500 is still doing the job quite nicely....Still willing to look at the extended version of NV if it ever shows itself. Otherwise, if I made a change, it would be to the Ford transit.

:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do want to see the extended NV as well. For around maybe $35k it will have a definite price advantage going for it. The drawback will be only 2 skid capacity in full size skids, based on current information.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Since this thread was started in an obvious attempt to get away from the other thread...I'll go ahead and ask some of the same questions here :D

The links in my previous post are for the most part discussing the repair issues and very expensive parts in the Sprinter DEF system. Below is an excerpt form another thread copied and pasted here:

Point being. It appears the DEF system can get expensive. The B service, even at half the cost, when added to the $200 oil change is going to get expensive. One person mentioned that it cost him $2800 just to replace the tank. But wait, it gets even better. The poster in this thread:http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...def-system-repair-solution-previous-post.html says that he was into his problem for about $3,000 BEFORE they actually found the problem which cost almost another $2,000 to fix.

But wait...it gets even better still (says Ron :D). That is just referring to the DEF system. That's not even the expensive part. The DPF is the expensive part. The same poster in the above linked thread says that replacement of the DPF is about $5,000 and I know that we have seen other discussions on this forum about that exact thing...so it does happen. I do believe that it's less than $5k though. the number I've heard is $4,000 at a MB shop. There are alternatives, but their still not cheap and their not MB approved. Since so many Sprinter owners claim that you must follow MB maintenance recommendations very strictly, I can't imagine doing anything that is not MB approved?

But wait, there is still more :D. Proper maintenance of the DPF will likely extend the life so as to avoid those astronomical replacement costs. So I looked online and found a maintenance manual for the Sprinter here: http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/files/manuals/2012_Mercedes_Benz_Sprinter_Maintenance_Manual.pdf

On page 9 of that manual, it says this:

So, if I understand this correctly, after the 4th service (40,000 miles?) you need to start checking the DPF filter at every service. That tells me that after 40,000 miles they are expecting it to be not a matter of "if" but "when" will you see the $4,000 replacement.

I'm not trying to be difficult so much as I'm trying to get some actual numbers. Anyone who knows anything about '07 or newer Sprinters knows that they can get real expensive to maintain...real fast. The $2 comment ignores that fact completely and totally. I would love to see someone post some actual, real numbers. Not telling the truth about the actual costs to own and maintain a vehicle misleads those who read these forums to gather information and make decisions on a major purchase. Leading them to believe that if they buy a Sprinter, they will not have any costs to maintain it is unprofessional, snarky, and counterproductive to a quality message forum.

The $500 to $600 for a B service does also include an oil change, oil filter and fuel filter.

Here is the main problem, no 2 dealers are the same. The price is different as is the menu of service items.

I have yet to find any dealer in the country that goes by the service suggestions in the owners manuel.

The dealer I bought mine from in Bethesda MD is totally different than the one in KC KS. They are different than the one in Movi MI. And the dealer in Phoenix or Birmingham is still different.

On a A service, oil change, I have paid as little as $129 with a coupon from my home dealership.

I recently did a survey for the service of my home dealership. It was not a good one. About a month and a half afterwards, I got a call from the head cheese of service at the dealership. There was 2 issues I had. 1 was overcharged. Oil change and fuel filter replacements. $480. For the second time, this dealership techs got the fuel filter hose clamps mixed up, so I end up with a fuel leak. After about a 30 discussion, he agreed there was some inconsistencies in hid dealership. About an hour later he calls back with a $50 refund.

As far as flushing the DEF, my home dealership techs and parts manger said there is no way to do that. During the phone call above, I asked about the menu and the flushing. He said that is what MB recommends. Then I told him what his experts said. I could feel his face turn red over the phone.

Here is were there is some consistency between the the dealers.
Rotate tires $60
Air tires $60
Windshield washer fluid $12 no matter what the quantity.
Top off Def $5/ liter = the magic number $60.

Those prices are in addition to the A or B service prices.

You have to be specific. I want a A service or I want a B service, do not top off windshield washer or DEF fluids. Do not even look at the tires.

Another part of either service is to check things like ball joints, belts etc. I haven't seen an itemized charge for that.

I have 76k and change on the vehicle now. It does run great and no problems.

Since I am home till Feb 1st, I am waiting on a price for the following:
B service
80k service
Tranny service (done at 38k)
Rear end service
Belts
Tighten all bolts underneath
Check alignment do it if it needs it.
Check DPR filter

I'll let you all know what they come up with.

Here is another nicety. Resetting the service indicator. All the dealers would tell you they have to hook up to the vehicle to do that.
Yet, my home dealer didn't do it one time. I mentioned this to the service writer before I left. Gave him the key. He pulled it into the garage, less than 2 minutes he was back and done.
There is a video on YouTube how to do it. So here is my thinking on the Sprinter. Perhaps the dealers don't make a whole lot when they sell one, so they make it up on the service.

If someone comes out with a van that the cash box is as big as the extended, I'm gonna be all over it. I haul a lot of 13'&14' freight. Whether 4-40" skids or long pieces of stuff.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums mobile app

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
That's ok Ken.

Must be Scott. I about fell off the chair. That happened on the first one in Birmingham. Heck that's more than the weekly average of income there isn't it!:confused:

mzraik

Active Expediter
If someone comes out with a van that the cash box is as big as the extended, I'm gonna be all over it. I haul a lot of 13'&14' freight. Whether 4-40" skids or long pieces of stuff.

Keep an eye on the new Ford Transit Hightop Extended Van, available in the Fall of 2013.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow, the amount of money you Sprinter owners spend on PM and repairs just amazes me! I change oil and filter every 15,000 at a cost of about $75. Other then that I install new tires every December at a cost of about $600. I check over my van and change what's needed as its needed. I put on new wiper blades, trans fluid change, diff fluid change, brake pads and a new belt. I don't figure a percentage per mile because that is different every week. I just flat figure the first $200 I earn each week goes for insurance and maintainance costs. That's only around $10,000 per year including insurance, tires and all PM stuff. I have never yet spent even close to that amount, it's just what I figure for emergency funds. With a GM gas van, nothing ever costs much to get done, and I do almost everything myself. I can't wait for the new Ford with the gas engine to arrive. I'll have Sprinter capacities, Sprinter mileage without the Sprinters prices. Not trying to offend anyone, just can't figure out how you keep any profits with a Sprinter!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow, the amount of money you Sprinter owners spend on PM and repairs just amazes me! I change oil and filter every 15,000 at a cost of about $75. Other then that I install new tires every December at a cost of about $600. I check over my van and change what's needed as its needed. I put on new wiper blades, trans fluid change, diff fluid change, brake pads and a new belt. I don't figure a percentage per mile because that is different every week. I just flat figure the first $200 I earn each week goes for insurance and maintainance costs. That's only around $10,000 per year including insurance, tires and all PM stuff. I have never yet spent even close to that amount, it's just what I figure for emergency funds. With a GM gas van, nothing ever costs much to get done, and I do almost everything myself. I can't wait for the new Ford with the gas engine to arrive. I'll have Sprinter capacities, Sprinter mileage without the Sprinters prices. Not trying to offend anyone, just can't figure out how you keep any profits with a Sprinter!

I spend less then you....lol

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Keep an eye on the new Ford Transit Hightop Extended Van, available in the Fall of 2013.

If it is at least 14 1/2 feet I will probably get one. I'm averaging overall 19.65 mpg at .20 per mile.Maintenance is .044 per mile.

Fuel, maintenance and a new set of Mickies at 38k, at 75k miles is over $18k.

Now in some defense of the Sprinter, I'm anal when it comes to maintenance. I get it done on time or before anything is due. I've met some owners that all they have done up to 150k is oil, filter, fuel filter and tires and have not had a problem. I'm not that lucky so I throw money at it.

Like any business, it's all about what you get to keep.

One other problem, west of the Mississippi, the dealerships are real thin. I spoke with Benz about this. Their response is the auto dealerships don't want to mess with them. Training and facility is the main problem. Having a garage ceiling height tall enough to raise a Sprinter vs a auto. At least 5' difference. Some of the older established dealerships out west aren't willing to spend the money for upgrades for little return. Gotta be in a major metro area to find one.
Example, there is not one MB or Freightliner dealership in the state of Mississippi for Sprinters. Don't break down in Mississippi. Gonna be a long tow.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

Lot to be said for the Fords & GMs. But, if you want big, you limited on choices. Currently. Hopefully that will be changing soon.

guido4475

Not a Member
The more I read threads like this, the more I love my old, boxy-looking, outdated, cheap, but ultra-dependable And real cheap to maintain Ford.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, your a lucky owner. I'm just going by what is said on EO and I couldn't afford some of the problems that I've read about. Some people are spending more on repairs then I spent for my van. I'll just miss an occasional load because of the size and not need to worry about the Sprinter repair costs, lack of dealers, waiting on parts and high maintainance costs. Sure hope the Ford comes soon! I heard GM has nothing new on the drawing boards for our use.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, your a lucky owner. I'm just going by what is said on EO and I couldn't afford some of the problems that I've read about. Some people are spending more on repairs then I spent for my van. I'll just miss an occasional load because of the size and not need to worry about the Sprinter repair costs, lack of dealers, waiting on parts and high maintainance costs. Sure hope the Ford comes soon! I heard GM has nothing new on the drawing boards for our use.

Lucky as I have a pre 07...I wouldn't buy. A new one unless arm is twisted

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
On our 2006 Sprinter, we've always figured $0.40 per mile to operate. That includes ALL costs like fuel, maint, insurances, payment (or depreciation because it is paid for), tolls, etc.

That has always covered all costs pretty close. Having an operational cost figured makes it easier to quickly decide on runs (paid miles plus deadhead plus possible relocation). We're pretty sure our new bus will be a similar cost per mile all in.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lucky as I have a pre 07...I wouldn't buy. A new one unless arm is twisted

I will second that motion, going to drive my 05 until it rusts out and falls apart. then I will look for an 09, it does have a DPF, but there are aftermarket ones now that cost much less.

I do all of my work on my vehicle myself, and for the regular stuff, the parts/fluids are more expensive, but to me, its very easy to do. Just had to replace my radiator, was not that bad, everything came apart pretty easy.