Pleasant Surprises in This Business

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, they LOVE their sun. Most of 'em look like dried out shoe leather too!

Winter is COOL! Snow for tracking, ice fishing, snowmobiles, skating, pond hockey. Try THOSE things in boring ole Florida! LOL!! It's all a matter of taking advantage of ALL of the fun things in the north. 4 seasons is MUCH better than 1.5!

Yeah, and no to mention brutal sun, relentless humidity, misquitoes so big that when they bite you they hand you a "Thanks for donating" card, second and third generation cockroaches, elderly drivers that pull right in front of you on a busy 6 lane hiway because they think it's their turn, lightining strikes have a mega-ton rating, and worst of all, too many old people!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, yea those pleasant surprise's are always good. Just remember that for every pleasant surprise come unpleasant surprise's.... I wonder if a pleasant surprise out number unpleasant surprise. Keep the pleasant surprise's comming as some need to know there is hope.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yeah, and no to mention brutal sun, relentless humidity, misquitoes so big that when they bite you they hand you a "Thanks for donating" card, second and third generation cockroaches, elderly drivers that pull right in front of you on a busy 6 lane hiway because they think it's their turn, lightining strikes have a mega-ton rating, and worst of all, too many old people!

We just can't compete with that shoveling of a foot of partly cloudy.;)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We just can't compete with that shoveling of a foot of partly cloudy.;)

2hi4bbp.jpg

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
I'll take the brutal sun, humidity and mosquitoes-when I 'donate' I get a receipt for my taxes.....lol Alot better than shoveling all that snow, slipping on the ice, etc. I'll think of ya doing all that shoveling as I ride the Harley.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

You're making me homesick:p

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
What pleasant surprises have you had in the last 48 hours?

I can't say either of the following issues were necessarily 'surprises', Phil, but within the last 48 hours I received a call confirming the financing for my new DR unit has been approved. The interest rate was definitely considerably higher than what I had expected, but, on the other hand, I had been warned I would be suffering a penalty in terms of the rate (despite having excellent credit), as a result of paying cash for the last truck. It's now just a matter of possibly lowering the interest rate by throwing more money at the downstroke. I'm waiting for the answers as to what will create the optimum balance...

Also, while following with interest the thread regarding the reduction of rates @ E-1 over the last couple days, I've been able to confirm my decision to leave E-1 several years ago and move to a carrier where revenue per load is a consideration - versus the need to run like a wildman day after day and see little return on the bottom line when running per mile. The ability to negotiate each load, if necessary, on a load-by-load basis has become what I believe is a blessing to my drivers and myself, both financially and from an emotional standpoint. Two of my three previous businesses involved negotiating with the decision-maker that held the pen and checkbook. Anything less only leads to frustration for me.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
cuban food, citrus, nice sunsets, palm trees, fl has some positives :) not sure if I'd move there but...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Pleasant surprises in this business sometimes include those times when the freight takes you exactly where you would like to be, when you would like to be there.

It happened to us this week. We were on a run from Los Angeles to Florida when our Florida vacation house neighbors called to say our lawn was turning brown and the sprinkler system seemed to be not working. Trusted neighbors played around with the system a bit and determined that the pump needed to be replaced (sparks flying out of it gave me confidence in their diagnosis).

We were able to find a contractor with the internet and make the 100 mile trip to the house with ease. The repair is underway as I write this and we are here to oversee the work and pay the bill.

Expediters love to talk about getting marooned someplace or sent in exactly the wrong direction, but it sometimes works the other way too. This is one of those times and it was a pleasant surprise.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
I'll take the brutal sun, humidity and mosquitoes-when I 'donate' I get a receipt for my taxes.....lol Alot better than shoveling all that snow, slipping on the ice, etc. I'll think of ya doing all that shoveling as I ride the Harley.

Well, Hell, suds! Ya got me with the Harley ridin'!!!!