Pickup Based B Unit

G

I was looking at some of the discussion of the pros and cons of Sprinters and I thought I would share a setup that I came across a while back. It's a fiberglass pickup slide in cargo box that appears to be well built and lightweight. The link below is to the high roof model, but there is a low roof model also:

http://www.cargobody.com/texan.htm

The floor is 8 feet long, which may be too short for B unit work, but it's pretty cool. In the cost department, the Cargobody is about $4k to $7k, plus the pickup. Being able to use a pickup would have the obvious benefits of the wider range of diesel choices, more comfortable cabins, duals, etc. My personal choice would be a Dodge Cummins dually with the 3:55 rear end. Good mix of power and mileage.

When the pickup is worn out, just take the Cargobody out and put it in a new truck.

These things have not caught on for some reason, I'm just not sure what it is.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is an interesting concept.
Your right, I have never seen one of these used for expediting.
It looks as if it is wide enough to accomadate a skid between the wheel wells.
I am quessing, including myself, that most aren't aware of them.
Thanks for sharing a great link

Davekc

G

I think the specs for a B unit are at least 8'6" length cargo area. I'll bet there is 8'6" in that unit, since it hangs over the edge of the bed a bit. As for the width between the wheel wells, full size pickups have 48", right, and spec for a B unit is 50", I think, so a little mod would probably be required.

It just seems to me that a setup like that would have lots of versatility. It's potentially cheaper to set up initially, cheaper when a new vehicle is needed, cheaper on fuel (maybe), more parts availability (pickup vs. van, though I could be wrong), more cargo space, separation of passenger and cargo area (more comfort, less noise), and easier to equip with duals. A huge plus is that the cargo box slides out easily so that you can put your lawnmowers in the pickup bed when there is no expedited freight to haul.:7

I was talking to the sales rep for these things a while back and I think this product may be one of those well engineered, poorly marketed things. Maybe they are more focused on selling to utilities and other government agencies and just haven't tried very hard selling to the general public.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>These things have not caught on for some reason, I'm just
>not sure what it is.

They'd have to catch on with the carriers first. FedEx CC and Panther II specs (for example) make no provisions for such a configuration. Cargo vans are mentioned but not pick-ups. Landstar Express America might allow it. They are a bit more open to other truck (van) configurations. Check with a Landstar recruiter to find out.

Carrier B-unit spec links:

http://customcritical.fedex.com/us/owneroperator/specs/cargovan.shtml

http://customcritical.fedex.com/us/owneroperator/specs/cargovan.shtml

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There is a guy with CTX that has a similar unit. Also a few years ago I met a guy from Long Island who had a Dodge Ramcharger with a similar box and was leased on to FDXCC.

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
I see a couple of problems with this unit. (besides the obvious possible issue with carriers) Go with a dually and you are into logging. If you are going to have to log, then you can build a better unit with an Aerocell.OK so we go with a SRW one ton, but now we have the sleeper issue.

I'm not trying to be discouraging here but I see these as real issues.

G

>I see a couple of problems with this unit. (besides the
>obvious possible issue with carriers) Go with a dually and
>you are into logging. If you are going to have to log, then
>you can build a better unit with an Aerocell.OK so we go
>with a SRW one ton, but now we have the sleeper issue.
>
>I'm not trying to be discouraging here but I see these as
>real issues.

Why do you have to log just because you are using a dually? If you are not using a dually, what do you mean by "now we have the sleeper issue"? Obviously, a rig like this cannot be equipped with a DOT sleeper either with or without duals on the back. It is not any different than a cargo van in that regard (not that I can see anyway).

I think if you put this unit side by side with a cargo van the unit looks pretty good. I'm not trying to put together a rig like this for myself (I've got a D unit), I just thought it was a neat product that some of the folks here would be interested in knowing about.

For the right driver with the right carrier this could be a great piece of equipment.

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
If I'm not mistaken, you only have to og over 10,000 gross...regardless of number of tires...or is that why a lot of the T/T drivers are going to the single wide tires on their rigs..:D

Loose

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it's a cool looking unit and the ability to move it from truck to truck is a definite plus. The minuses have pretty much been covered including lack of space for sleeping and difficulty getting signed on with a carrier. I've seen one pickup based unit with CTX and one with Express-1. The X1 unit has been with them for about 7 yrs as I recall and is grandfathered or it wouldn't be acceptable. They won't take any now. It's a cool idea to kick around and mentally outfit though.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

G

I like that, "mentally outfit." Lots of mental outfitters out there.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I think it would make more sense to have a one ton chassis with a regular 10 ft. box . You'd have wider doors and no wheel wells to deal with .

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
LOL that was my point as any dually I have had anything to with had a GVW over 10,000. As to DOT legal, well that wasn't what I meant per se, but is also a good point. My point was the lack of a comfortable place to sleep at all, the exception here being a crew cab, and actually being able to sleep in a crew cab. (Something I for one cannot do, but I know others who do....). I guess I made it sound like I don't like it or something, or perhaps that I thought it was a horrible idea. I think they look great actually, I'm just not sure how well they would work in this industry, with the limitations I pointed out.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
DOT doesn't accept crew cab back seats as sleepers . I've heard if the door panels are removed from the back doors and windows fastened closed and window gear removed the back seat is then wide enough. But crew cab owners are told to never log sleeper time in the back seat.

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
Well, it's good mental exercise...and ya never know what great idea you might come up with...I liked the truck...just doesn't seem practical for other than local haul...just my nickle...

Loose

G

Yeah, no pickup back seat can be a DOT sleeper. The dimensions aren't even close. It's about 10 inches too narrow, plus some other problems. Not comfortable to sleep in in any case. I've done it a few times.