PICK ONE

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
"Are you talking to me?"

If you'd be a newbie again,but with today's knowledge,what would be your first choice to go with :TriState or FedEx CC and why?THANKS !:)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
To be a newbe and to know what I know now, I'd turn and run as far away from those liers as I can, or go to prison beating one of them to death. What is it with all you guys wanting to join the wonderfull team of expediting? Don't any of you read the posts on this site. I don't work for any of those A-holes you mentioned above nor will I ever work for One of those companies again. You must not beleive all the people that post on here, telling how they were lied to and made the big investment, only to get suckered into a situation or take a very big loss. Just count the posts you get and you will see.

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
"Are you talking to me?"

Well,Teacel,seems to me that we all are some days on top and some days down,but we can only keep trying and do our best doing it.We got to start somewhere and I got to sign with some company.Economy is bad all over but one can only hope;it will get better.You are saying that all of the Expediting Co. are bad,recruiters are liars and so on.Guys,as a newbie,I am asking you to educate me and help me choose the best from the so called "bad companies" and give me some honest,friendly advice about the business I'm about to enter.It's gotta be a sunnyside for expediting,not only shadow,otherwise you veterans won't be doing it no more.Thanks!:(

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are you talking to me??
Every kind of trucking has it's up's and downs, and i mean every kind!When business is good, in whatever trucking arena you're in, you make money, run hard. When things slow down, you spend more time getting loads, take loads you wouldn't ordinarily take, and stay out longer to make it, as an o&o. Trucking IS a lifestyle. If it's not your lifestyle choice, and you're going out just for the money, do something else. You'll be better off. Expediting, has changed dramatically over the last couple of years, due to more trucking competition, business slowdown, and the everchanging needs of the trucking industry in general. If you're going to have any kind of success, you have to be able to make the hard choices. Things like going from straight truck to tractor trailer,and back again, taking the hit on your truck trade. I think, that tractor trailering, is much easier to move around in, as expediting is confined, for the most part to straight trucks. If you decide that TT is not for you...you just have to wait it out and do the best you can. Just keep in mind that it is a lifestyle, and those hrd choices will never get easier. Personally, i just love going down the road, and being in a different place most everyday. It doesn't matter much, what kind of truck i'm in. What does matter, is, am i trucking the way i want to. It will never be 100% perfect. What job is? But, you try to get as close to 100% as possible. The rest you just have to tolerate.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I forgot to add:
ALL RECRUITERS LIE! IT'S THIER JOB.
ALL DISPATCHERS LIE! IT'S THIER JOB.
ALL DIPATCHERS WILL ASK YOU FOR FAVORS. IT'S THIER JOB.
ALL COMPANIES AT ANY GIVEN TIME WILL PUT ON MORE TRUCKS THAN THEY NEED.
AND ALL DRIVERS WILL HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE ABOVE. IT'S THIER JOB.

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
We got to start somewhere and I got to sign with some company.

Why do you have to sign with some company, have you already bought a truck.

Economy is bad all over but one can only hope;it will get better.

Hope, doesn't sound like a very well thought out business plan.

You are saying that all of the Expediting Co. are bad,recruiters are liars and so on.

That pretty much sums it up. Obviously, some are worse than others. Some off the smaller companies maybe OK, we worked for one that we had no problems with.

Guys,as a newbie,I am asking you to educate me and help
me choose the best from the so called "bad companies" and
give me some honest,friendly advice about the business I'm
about to enter.

Sounds like your mind is made up. The friendly advice you ask for probably is not what you want to hear.

It's gotta be a sunnyside for expediting,not
only shadow,otherwise you veterans won't be doing it no
more.
After 3 yrs of being on the road, and following the 2 major expediting forums, I can say that most of the Veterans that were around and we knew, are Gone. Many still in the business are stuck, hard to get out when your truck isn't worth anything near what you owe.

Looking at our tax info for last year, we made more, working regular jobs in 2 months, than we did in 5 months in the truck.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Bornfree!!
This is day 2 of your post and you have had 3 posts, and all go into the con colum. I have to get my butt out on the road, but will get back to your question in the AM. Later

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Try Diamond Delivery out of Fort Wayne,IN
I was with them for 8 months and all things considered, I didn't do too bad. They are cheaper to do business with than the big 3

city boy

Expert Expediter
I have made up my mind to do this. I have a cargo van contracted to FedEx home delivery that isn't making any money, so I guess I'm already in the fire (as opposed to being in the frying pan). I consider my options to be a little different than most out there as my plan includes no house payment and running team with my wife. I would much rather taking a chance succeding while doing something I enjoy rather than "just making it" doing the day to day grind. Don't misunderstand my bluntness for anger, I'm just enthused. Of course, I was this enthused 13 months ago when I signed on with FXHD. LOL
Happy Trails, hope to meet some of you in person some day. (Probably during a 3 day layover at the local T.S.)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well to add my 2 cents in I would say it!s just about a tossup as too which company you go with.They both have pluses and minuses for sure.One thing that always remains in my mind is that shippers and receivers have told me ,"When we really want the freight to get there on time and we are desperate ,we call Fedex CC (Roberts)..

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After talking to some of the home delivery guys I know, I think the money is about the same. They work longer hours,I guess,but they are home every night. It seems the difference is,youll make the same money,but live in a truck instead of a house. Good luck either way!!

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
}> A lot of answers while no one wants to answer your question.

If we were starting over now, I would still go with FedEx CC. Because?

They seem to have the widest range of customers so we can always find work. I don't have any problems working with the dispatch team. Sure, they will always see things from their own back porch just as we see things thru the windshield. As soon as you understand these differences and decide to work with them, they have a pretty good system. From our experience, everytime we've been out (team C truck) this year, the only way to get any rest between runs has been to go out of service.

The other major item to consider is run acceptance. We accepted our 2 last runs while we were out of service, simply because they knew we would. We usually maintain a 97%+ acceptance ratio.

We have been with Roberts/FedEx CC 5 years.

Vernon in C2197

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Curious about a business plan. Here is my understanding based on what I've done. (1) For about 8 years I have gathered info on expediting, which I have decided against. (2) I have been looking into dedicated parcel routes with a 1-ton or 3/4 ton cargo van. (3) After much number crunching and investigation I have come to the figure of.256cpm to operate. (4) To educate myself about the dedicated parcel route/courier business, I have decided to work for a year in that field before I try my hand at it with my own money and equipment. (5) I will have a pension, with benefits, plus the wife will be working too, at her job. (6) House will be paid for, so I won't have any problem there. (7) Have looked into incorporation as well as a $1million personal liability policy to protect my assets and pension. (To me this is paramount, as I have spent in excess of 30 years in a job I hated, taking all kinds of :censoredsign: and daily abuse from lowlifes, but the end of this is measured now in months. I don't want to lose in semi- retirement all that I suffered for, in case I have an accident). (8) My reason for wanting to get into this line of work is that I like being in different places, I like driving, and I can't stand being cooped up in a regular 9-5. (9) I have been pricing vehicles and a new Ford van will be anywhere in excess of $16000. The money I save-all of it-from the year I spend in the dedicated parcel route/courier job will go to a substantial down payment and a business cash reserve. (10) At no time will I touch my savings or make a home equity loan to get into this business!
(11) Have an appointment with an accountant set up for in June. (12) Have talked to several companies in the DPR/C business, not to see if they want me, but if I want them. I have also made a questionnaire to mail to some other ones, that I haven't talked to yet. (13) I realize that at least 50% is :censoredsign:. (14) More importantly, I have talked to some O/0's in this business, and will continue to do so. It seems there are good days and bad days in this line of work.

Sorry for rambling on. I appreciate any and all constructive criticism. Also I can take NO for an answer. I hear that abouut 11pm every night. Thank you all.

Regards

Doowop

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
I made up my mind and,for now,I gave up the EXPEDITING idea.First,I do not have any experience,and second,the way the expediting business is,I don't want to take a chance going deeper that I am already,into the financial hole.I will try USXpress,tractor trailer,and see if it is for me.Any of you out there had any experience with USXpress as a company driver?Thank you.;-)
"Are you talking to me?"

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I know a fellow who drives a company truck for USxpress. He is happy with the company, and does a dedicated run which they have a lot of. He gets home every other day.
-Weave-

prepaid

Expert Expediter
Sorry you have changed your mine about expediting,but you are only hearing from the big three which is not good the industry has not slowed down they have just got cheaper and the bigger companys will not bring down the price because some of the drivers will not run cheap frieght.I have been with try hours since 1998 had never had to dig for pennys. :)