Photos of Big Sleeper Expediter Trucks

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
talking about that pete being for. if you are talking about the tan colored one it was in the truck paper for at least 6 months before it sold and he was constanly dropping the price. i know i'm off the road now but even when i was out there i'd hate knowing that i didn't have a home out side of the truck. plus how do you all afford those payments? aren't they close to 2,500 or more a month?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ark, if you have a 200K truck to start with, and place 20% down, i'd suggest your payment would be $3500 a month or better, for 5 years. I kinda think the soup would get pretty thin by the end of the month. Whatta you think?

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>Neither of the above is right or wrong - they are just
>DIFFERENT

An excellent point.

The "big" trucks are usually designed for a particular kind of owner/operator... usually those husband/wife teams with significant experience, financial backing and wanting some comfort on the road.

Each of us operates in a manner that suits our own peculiar circumstances... what is your "right" may be a "wrong" for us.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Certainly I am not the only one out there with photos of big-sleeper expediter trucks to share. The invitation to share your photos remains open. Paul56, I am especially interested to see a photo of your truck. There are not many out there where the sleeper is actually bigger than the box.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
col,
3500 or more a month with as much as fuel costs you couldn't afford to have pay utilities on a house. those trucks look cool but i couldn't see myself getting one. if i were to be able to get back in it and buy a truck i would most likely get one with a 36" or 48" sleeper. Of course I would be looking for a deal where I could be home most every night and just want a place to take a nap in the truck. I know plenty of people around here that make good money and are maybe 1-3 nights a week and usually not back to back so a big sleeper wouldn't be a requirement.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Interesting reading people's comments on big sleepers.....I go over and read Team Available classifieds and get a whole bunch of people wanting BIG SLEEPERS FULLY LOADED TRUCKS.....but they do not want the truck payment...they want the fleet owner to make that payment. As fleet owners we made a decision that anything less than 84" was not in our interest as owners....and most we have are 96" condo's. Does it make a difference? Well we have less turnover and our teams seems to enjoy being on the road. Does it make people stay out longer? no.....that is really up to the teams..we have someteams that absolutely love driving and seeing the sights, and others that do this because of the money and are home every chance they get. We ourselves drive a freightliner columbia with a 70" sleeper that we had ciustomized at ICT.....not bigger but definitely roomier than the average semi. If we had started in a straight truck I am sure we would still be there just because the size of the sleepers.

-charlotte

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i don't see anything wrong with the large sleepers. i mean if i was gonna be runnin out a lot with my wife with me all the time than a large sleeper might grab a lil more interest than it does now.

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Hey, it's THEIR money. If someone wants a big payment, it's on them. Hell, if you're out 2 months at a time on the road and have no youngens at home, why not take your house with you? I sense alter-ego jealousy here. I don't see how these o/o's with mammoth rides affect my bottom line. Why would anyone have a negative comment about these big behemouths?? They're providing business for the sleeper mfrs too. Sounds good to me

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
"Certinaly I could not be the only one with photos of Big Trucks:" Well Phil Congrats I believe you are, hope its not contagious.

Being a Photographer, from 78 thru 90. One can think of many better things to point the camera at than large sleeper trucks. I believe that Your obsesed so I will add this: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Enjoy your hobby.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
What I would find interesting and helpful to know, what is the wheelbase on these trucks. If any of the owners of these trucks visit this thread, maybe they would be willing to share this information. This would greatly help others considering building a simular type of expediter.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I totally agree.

Why do some of you care if someone has a nicer truck than you and a bigger payment? Should they have called you before they bought to make sure you were ok with their decision? Is it wrong of them to be proud of their truck? Do they need to send you a financial statement each year to prove to you that they are profitable? Should they not take photos of trucks like theirs to compare and perhaps get ideas about a future truck?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH TAKING PICTURES OF TRUCKS AND WHY DO YOU CARE?!?!?!

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
I bet these people who say anything negatively about big sleepers go to NASCAR races and spend 100's on tickets, parking, hot dogs, beer and motels. To each his own. Like I said, it's their money. Who cares?
I wanna see some sleepers with pop-outs on them like RVs have. Maybe a pop-up roof too. How bout a 2 story setup?? I saw a box truck at the TA north of Chicago, with a porch and a house door built on the back. He had a fold-up rocking chair and a big cooler on the porch, too. Now THAT'S living!!

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When is someone gonna take one of those big class 8 rvs that are called toy haulers you know the kind people use so they can haul race cars and stuff in the back of their rv and turn it into an expediter? i don't know that might be less room than some of those big sleepers. I saw a truck once that a husband and wife team had leased on to landstar ranger ahuling tradeshows and stuff and i think their sleeper was either a 205" or a 235". The front tandem was was like maybe 2 feet behind the back sleeper wall and the 5th wheel had to be slid all the way to the rear to hook the trailer up. they had kitchen,bathroom,bedroom, and washer and dryer. pretty. neat.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i had my western star with 16' box on it , it was one of bigest c units around , and comfort was just right, also was able to get the truck payment down to where it wasn't do bad, i had three sponsors who came up with the down payment for me, i sold the use of my name to them to use in there ad camplain

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
I like seeing the big sleepers. I am starting with Fed Ex next week and we bought a 2007 Freightliner from Fyda Freightliner in Columbus. It is their least expensive model but does have an 85" sleeper. My biggest concern is buying such an expensize truck that you can not afford a home. Once I am on the road I may want to sell my home to simplify my life. Time will tell for me. I think if we really enjoy this business I would consider a class 8 chassis with a condo and shower, bentz makes a nice one built on a Columbia chassis. Than I would get a climate control box and liftgate and go white glove. Time will tell on that one.