Per Diem Question

MSinger

Expert Expediter
What is the minimum amount of time I need to be gone from home before I can count it as a per diem expense day?

I do not go out for weeks at a time and am usually only gone 1 or 2 days at a time.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The minimum time is 1/4 day for which you get 1/4 allowance. You take the day you leave by 1/4's plus the days you are out plus the day you return by 1/4's, at least if it's still the way it was explained to me. Consult your accountant to be certain.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Leo, I appreicate you answering for me, I have been very busy so far and this is the first time that I had a chance to even look at my questions here online.

Inorder to take the per diem you must be a truck driver, and cannot run local, meaning if you drive for a company that you are home every night you are not considered for the per diem, But if you occasional do have a load that takes you out overnight where you must get a 10 hour sleep, weather it be in a motel, or in the truck then it is considered as a per diem and you are entitled to that 1 1/2 or 2 days
as being out.

If you have any othere questions please do not hesitate to ask,

Frank