pay rate ALL Miles

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
50K gross is not really a lot of money in todays economy...especially east of the Ole Miss.
unless they can piggyback a 2nd income.

OHWC2012

Active Expediter
I will list the jobs that require no degree to start where you have benefits and can make that kind of living.

Firefighter
Police Officer
Border Patrol
Sales
General Contractor
Military
Oil Drilling

And there are a whole lot more.

I was looking into this as a route for the future. I have owned two businesses and work as an independent consultant. Let me tell you if you are assuming this much financial risk and are not netting six figures after costs you are wasting your time. You will have no retirement savings and in some instances no insurance to fall back on if something goes wrong.

This owner operator model at these average rates stated by the original poster definately are not in line with what rates should be for you assuming 80% or more of the financial risks. If you think this is the norm for owning your own business you need to get a mentor instead of contracting for this kind of pay.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I too had a successful business before expediting..... for 10 years.. last 5 of that I was miserable..always worrying about getting more work to keep my guys happy so they can provide for there families..Insurance rates kept going up and up..reason after reason......just a big ole pain in the a$s..have never been happier now...my only worries are me and the dog and what I am going to have for lunch. My point is...happiness has a value its NOT all about the $$..sure $$ is nice but to what extent ....would rather be doing this.... making this $$ than double this and be miserable again...no thank you...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

OHWC2012

Active Expediter
Asjssl,

The point is if you add up all the hours for bookkeeping, maintenance, hauling etc. Most of these people do not realize they are assuming responsiblities and risk of having their own business for 15 dollars an hour or less.

There are plenty of business models out there where you do not need any employees and can make what a business owner should for the risks they are accepting.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Let me tell you if you are assuming this much financial risk and are not netting six figures after costs you are wasting your time. You will have no retirement savings and in some instances no insurance to fall back on if something goes wrong.

This owner operator model at these average rates stated by the original poster definately are not in line with what rates should be for you assuming 80% or more of the financial risks. If you think this is the norm for owning your own business you need to get a mentor instead of contracting for this kind of pay.

What you say makes sense and is absolutely correct IF you have the risk/reward mentality that requires financial reward for financial risk. But note that many expediters have no such mentality. The freedom this job provides is compensation enough and breaking even every year is adequate.

Yes, that destines them for a life of poverty and living off the (perhaps reliable) government dole at retirement but they do not think that far ahead, preferring instead to be mellow and take it one day at a time.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I too had a successful business before expediting..... for 10 years.. last 5 of that I was miserable..always worrying about getting more work to keep my guys happy so they can provide for there families..Insurance rates kept going up and up..reason after reason......just a big ole pain in the a$s..have never been happier now...my only worries are me and the dog and what I am going to have for lunch. My point is...happiness has a value its NOT all about the $$..sure $$ is nice but to what extent ....would rather be doing this.... making this $$ than double this and be miserable again...no thank you...

Asjssl presents the other side of the coin. It's not always about the money. Hopefully expediters will find their way to a middle ground between happiness today and poverty in retirement.

Happiness today and prosperity in retirement sounds best, does it not?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Asjssl,

The point is if you add up all the hours for bookkeeping, maintenance, hauling etc. Most of these people do not realize they are assuming responsiblities and risk of having their own business for 15 dollars an hour or less.

There are plenty of business models out there where you do not need any employees and can make what a business owner should for the risks they are accepting.[/QUO

You have a point...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Asjssl,

There are plenty of business models out there where you do not need any employees and can make what a business owner should for the risks they are accepting.

I'd like to see some examples of this cause it sounds more like risk averse wishful thinking. You make it sound as if a successful rewarding business with 40 hour work weeks is easy and everyone else, outside of the trucking industry, is doing it. Not happening. Anyone with a passion for what they do in any business makes huge sacrifices.