Passports

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Anyone have the correct story on passports for Canada- to U.S. border crossings? I believe we need them by Jan 2008, and there is a huge backlog to get them. An archived thread said the Fast card may be sufficient. Anyone know?

sunshine to all

Seasoned Expediter
sunshine to all:*
On the passports all you need is proof that you applied and on the news today they reported they are looking allow leeway because of summer vacationers. happy trails

greg334

Veteran Expediter
From what I have read, commerical vehicles may still need them unless you have a fast card, the application will mean nothing. The last border crossing I did, I handed both to the nice lady and she scanned both.

But as I have always said, just get it, it saves a lot of problems if you are crossing. I think the delay is uncalled for and the processing delay is selfimposed by the state department if you heard the complete story.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
All future Canadian/US runs will require either a FAST card or a passport.

Did you know a FAST card costs half the amount of a passport and cuts down on time spent at border crossings?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is another reason not to wait. Get your passport now!! If you have your Fast Pass though you can get in and out of Canada no problems.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't see what all the fuss is about a passport being manditory or not. Point is it's a tool to help expedite the crossing. We are professionals and all means to be able to cross should must be at our disposal.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
The government has postponed mandatory passport usage for flights....I am sure they will be unable to have the backlog caught up in Jan 08 for land crossings....as far as Fastpass being able to be used instead of passport, that has not been "confirmed" yet...they ARE talking about it, but still waiting on the response.

-Charlotte

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why wait? Get the passport...thats my point.

Ever have your All Beef Bologna taken away cause it was contraband because of the mad cow scare?? Fact is processed meats were never included in the ban...now try telling that stooge in the booth that!!!
All it takes is one fool to ask for a passport even if it isn't needed because of the famous "Officer Discretion" rule.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I honestly think that if you don't have a passport, you should not get a fast card. It is far easier to get a passport than a fast card.

This should have been a mandate right from the start.

Also just to throw this into the thread, we keep hearing about a national ID, well a passport is a national ID.

OVM,
I know what you are saying, I dreaded losing a weeks worth of lunch meat because it 'may' include beef. The nice officer also took my beef bullion and canned chili that also may include beef.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
greg...see what I mean!! That stuff was never included in any ban! They do what they want. Passport is a must for us!! us=expediters

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Last I have which is this week, is that passports are required at border crossings as of January 1 2008 (this law has been passed). There is a bill in the works in congress to delay 17 or 18 months for this requirement due to the backlog of applications for passports (both countries are having this problem).

So until otherwise as far as I kknow, you need a passport as of January. Personally I'd just go get a passport and save all the hassles as it can be used for a vacation to anywhere.

Rob Fis

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks all, I noticed last night coming into Det. that a sign says the Fast card is not for identity purposes. Since it has been a few months, I do recall that they were asking for the driver's license. So, guess in their minds, passport is next...

are12

Expert Expediter
I am sooo confused!!!

I do not understand how they can say Fast cards are not for identity purposes when they have your picture on it plus, you had to go through a background check to get it!!

We usually hand them our Fast card and license when we get to the booth, never had a problem.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We cross the border often. When we first received our Fast Cards we gave the customs agent the Fast Card and then tried to give him our licenses also and he said I don't need those. We have never again given anything but our Fast Card going into Canada and out of Canada. We have never been asked for any other form of identification in the past two years.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
We HAVE to get a passport cause my hubby's lovely name is soooo common that it pops up as "most wanted" when ever we try to cross the border. So, we have never been able to get the Fast Card. We've tried everything (except change his name) to fix the problem...no luck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>A plan to use a new , more secure driver's license won't
>work because some states refuse to accept it .

Simple solution do the same thing that they did with the seat belt laws, hold back all federal road funds until the states accept the license.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Right, but that's what it says at the Ambassador Bridge. I usually just handed over the Fast & cab card in a flip folder and no problems. Frankly, the Fast card has only helped me get back in quickly when empty...

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
To give an idea about the time frame for getting a passport:

I applied for a new passport on 3/2/07. My old one had expired in '85.

I received the new passport via USPS Priority Mail on 6/14/07, considerably longer than the 8-10 week wait the nice lady at the County Clerk's office indicated when I applied.

YMMV

Rex