Canada PARS vs FAST

captain

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is the PARS system still going to be around or is being replaced entirely by the FAST system? I was told by a carrier that Canada was "moving away from the PARS system" but I'm having a hard time believing that would happen any time soon. Anyone else heard that PARS was being discontinued?

Captain

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have'nt heard anything like that. Canada is using the FAST card for CSA clearance. Right now you can use FAST or CDRP to do it. Eventually the CDRP card is going to go away. CSA is mostly automotive right now, but other types of shippers are getting on board. It does not require pre-notification of individual shipments and I think only the consignee has to be approved to use the system, but I'm not certain of that. Using FAST into the U.S. requires pre-notification and everyone involved being FAST approved.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes; Highway Star gave what I believe to be the correct answer .....AT THIS TIME...; but with the CBSA (formerly CCRA....formerly RevCan Customs...fondly known as Canada Customs) things are liable to change.
I will announce any changes when I get them.
At the current time FAST is limited to CSA approved importers.
It is the importer who must be approved to use the system.
The Carrier must also be CSA approved.

PARS is still the standard.

Hope this helps

captain

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the replys, I didn't think they would do away with the PARS system since not every shipper is going to go with FAST. The PARS system works fine, as long as the broker enters the info into the system, which, i'm sure will be the same with FAST.

Thanks,
Captain

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The PARS system works fine, as long as the broker
>enters the info into the system,

Just remember to give the Broker some time;
4 hours isn't too much.
The earlier you can get the papers to the broker; the sooner they can get you set up.

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
> The PARS system works fine, as long as the broker
>>enters the info into the system,
>
>
>Just remember to give the Broker some time;
>4 hours isn't too much.
>The earlier you can get the papers to the broker; the sooner
>they can get you set up

There's a problem with Livingston General Fax Number. Too many of the faxes disappear in no man land. When you call find out who the CSr is for that account. Get their fax number. This way you will know that your Pars will go through.
}> :(

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Livingston wasRE: PARS vs FAST

>There's a problem with Livingston General Fax Number. Too
>many of the faxes disappear in no man land. When you call
>find out who the CSr is for that account. Get their fax
>number. This way you will know that your Pars will go
>through.

That is excellent advise.
Get either the shipper or consignee to get a person's name and fax number at Livingston.
Livingston is the biggest and busiest broker.

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
RE: Livingston wasRE: PARS vs FAST

I crossed at Windsor last week with Livingston as the broker. The pickup was in Chatham which does not allow a lot of time for the broker to work off of the fax. I was told by my carrier in November that US Customs is really pushing all brokers to have loads cleared within one hour or be fined.

So, I faxed Livingston then I called them to verify that they received the fax. The rep was very rude, said they do not have time to verify if a fax was received. She said to call only after having waited 2 hours and then I can see if the PAPS cleared. Yeah, I know this was a PARS thread but the Livingston comment caught my attention.
I advised her that the pickup is less than 2 hours from the border. She was very angry, said I need to wait for 2 hours to cross and hungup.

I got to Windsor, hung out for a while to give Livingston time to clear the load and got in line for the Ambassador Bridge. I called back got the office supervisor and asked him to check the PAPS. He was even more rude, said they didn't even have any record of it. I advised I called earlier to confirm they received the fax so something like this would not happen. He cussed me out and also hungup on me.

Of course, when I got to the booths, the PAPS failed and I spent 3 1/2 hours waiting in the hallway.

Livingston is the poorest excuse of a broker I could ever imagine. There is no incentive to change because the customer is not really affected by their untimeliness, it is the drivers that have to suffer.

I have had all good experiences with brokers on the Canadian side but the US side have been all bad.

Brian

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My recent PARS W/Livingston failed ,even with 5 hours notice.While waiting in the room another driver complained they Faxed theirs 24 hrs in advance.I could only see 4 employees,with about 25 drivers waiting.Could it be that Livingston is giving priorty to PAPS to avoid the fines?

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>My recent PARS W/Livingston failed ,even with 5 hours
>notice.While waiting in the room another driver complained
>they Faxed theirs 24 hrs in advance.I could only see 4
>employees,with about 25 drivers waiting.Could it be that
>Livingston is giving priorty to PAPS to avoid the fines?

PARS are Canadian and PAPS are American.
Two different beasties.
I wouldn't know how to do a PAPS, and don't want to know.
I have enough knowing the Canada regulations.

You know, there are many reasons for "PARS failed".
Maybe there were issues with the client and broker.
Maybe the papers weren't right.
Maybe there was a question about an item on the papers;
phone messages left and not returned before you got there.
It's hard to say; but I'm sure it wasn't just a case of the "broker not doing its job again".
No, I don't work for Livingston and am not specifically defending them.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>PARS WORKS GREAT AS LONG THE BROKER CLEARS THE FREIGHT.:eek:

I've worked many many years in the Customs business and I'll tell you that "releasing drivers" is not our job. The driver getting released is what I call the "HAPPY RESULT" of the Broker doing it's job.
Our job is to ensure that our client's goods are properly reported to the CBSA. We must ensure that all the Canada Customs requirements have been met before we submit the entry.
Sometimes; the papers show that not all the requirements are being met so we must do further follow ups.
We can NOT assume anything but often must get corrected documents or answers.
THAT is usually when you think that the broker hasn't cleared the freight.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
At orientation, we were told to give Livingston ONE HOUR. If they weren't done, tough! I won't give them an inch when it comes to me being on time, and I won't let a company like that bully me around when I have the law on my side. We get fined when we're under an hour... they should get the same treatment when they're over.

T-hawk
"Some... call me Tim." - Tim

Lonleyboy515

Expert Expediter
I have always found Livingston the worst broker of them all.Our Co. is trying to get our customers to change brokers.We are starting to see a few switching to DANZAZ.I have always found them to be one of the better brokers,on both sides of the boarder.

FLEET/OWNER
PROFESSIONAL
20 YEARS OTR
15YEARS EXPEDITE

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
>I've worked many many years in the Customs business and I'll
>tell you that "releasing drivers" is not our job. The driver
>getting released is what I call the "HAPPY RESULT" of the
>Broker doing it's job.

That is like a surgeon saying "it is not my responsibility to ensure the patient's survival, it is to conduct a surgery."

If the driver is sitting waiting for a load to be cleared then the freight is also sitting instead of making its way to the customer. Since all of us are expediters and the shipper and consignee are expecting to receive freight that is uh, expedited... Do I really need to continue.

Either way, the customer is not being served if the freight is sitting at the border. The driver sitting at the border is what I call the "unhappy result" of the shipper and consignee, one of which is the customer not being served properly.

Brian

sunshinetomorow

Expert Expediter

how long do we have to put up with livingston lack of compentence/ thanks to them i was hit with a 5k fine last jan/ reduced to 250 by the co legal.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>how long do we have to put up with livingston lack of
>compentence/ thanks to them i was hit with a 5k fine last
>jan/ reduced to 250 by the co legal.

Hi Sunshinetommorow

Your post got kinda buried.
Why don't you and other drivers in your company keep a list of Livingston errors rudeness etc.
Take that list to the senior management at L'ston and tell them that they've got a problem.
That might work.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>>I've worked many many years in the Customs business and I'll
>>tell you that "releasing drivers" is not our job. The driver
>>getting released is what I call the "HAPPY RESULT" of the
>>Broker doing it's job.
>
>That is like a surgeon saying "it is not my responsibility
>to ensure the patient's survival, it is to conduct a
>surgery."
>
>If the driver is sitting waiting for a load to be cleared
>then the freight is also sitting instead of making its way
>to the customer. Since all of us are expediters and the
>shipper and consignee are expecting to receive freight that
>is uh, expedited... Do I really need to continue.
>
>Either way, the customer is not being served if the freight
>is sitting at the border. The driver sitting at the border
>is what I call the "unhappy result" of the shipper and
>consignee, one of which is the customer not being served
>properly.
>
>Brian

Sorry Brian, I missed your reply to me.
I do my "surgery" and ensure my patient is off life support; but when it comes to my TRUE job and responsibility; it is to ensure that my Client's interests are protected with Customs.
I don't tell you how to drive your truck; it's your responsibility to drive it safely and get to the destination on time.

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
I guess you are missing the point of "Expedited Freight." This is "ExpeditersOnline."

Also, one reason I love my truck is because no one inside it is saying "That is not my job." I will never punch a clock again precisely because of that attitude.

B

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I guess you are missing the point of "Expedited Freight."
>This is "ExpeditersOnline."
>
>Also, one reason I love my truck is because no one inside it
>is saying "That is not my job." I will never punch a clock
>again precisely because of that attitude.
>
>B

No, I am not missing the point.
I know dam*ed well it is expedited freight (and the name of this website) BUT if the papers aren't correct the shipment won't get clearded until they are!
I have cleared more rush shipments over the past thirty years. I have worked every day of the year except for Christmas. I (and every Customs Broker) cannot fudge the paperwork. It must be prepared correctly.
Truck drivers; expedited, tractor trailer - even LTL guys who drive for companies like Yellow and are on the clock - all hate being delayed at the border.
I have been trying to explain that sometimes delays are unavoidable.
I am not talking about "It's not my job" but who is responsible for what.
YOU are responsible to drive the truck!
I am responsible to ensure that the paperwork and all the other issues to do with Customs are correct.
If someone has neglected to do their job down the line; I have to catch the error and get it corrected.

Too often; the driver figures "the broker isn't doing the job" when a PARS isn't posted. The broker just negecting to put the papers into Customs is a rare occurance. There is usually a reason.