Park and View

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
Did they go out of business? Last time I drove OTR they were just coming into vogue, maybe 9 years ago.

Seemed like a good idea, did the wireless broadband thing get them? And if so, how do you get TV during layovers (don't tell me "broadcast", I'll have to find a new business!)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
They folded a few years ago.Just like the Rolling Gym concept it never clicked.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Idleair has replaced Park & View. Now instead of little cables you can drive off with flapping on the passengers side you have a unit that fits in the window and will also heat and cool your truck.

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
>www.slingbox.com

Hmmm, slingbox you say, eh? Do you use one? How does it work if I need an internet connection to get to it and I'm on the road? A *really* long ethernet cable for my laptop? :p

Too bad about PnV, I liked the setup. Was nice to watch HBO in the cab, and I'm a Soprano's junkie!!!

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
What kind of speed do you get with wifi? I'm assuming if I'm downloading an entire movie, it'll be large, so speed would be a major factor.

Thanks!

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Most of wifi is broadband, it just depends how good of a signal your getting. the closer you are to the building the better and with a good signal it's fast. a weak signal is still faster then dialup.

BTW that www.slingbox.com is a link click on it and they have a tour about it. should explain everything.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
from what I was told by idleaire,there connection is t1,thats almost as fast as cable,better than dsl,and the sling box is the unit they put in your window,but if your there long enough,you could almost pay a motel room,and be much more comfortable

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Check the tech forum for 'cable tv in the truck' and more info on my experience with slingbox.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.