Paris And Britany

barney

Expert Expediter
Ok, I admit it, I am old and not in touch with the youth of today. Here is the question. What are Paris Hilton and Britany Spears claim to fame and why do we have to hear about them all the time. I admit Britany is a cutie but I think it takes more than that.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I am no expert on these two. If you know nothing about them, I will tell you what little I know.

Britney is a pop singer, and does a lot of outrageous kind of things in public, so I guess a lot of people just like to look at her dirty laundry.

Paris is or was heir to the Hilton hotel family. She in the past at least liked to party a lot, and so the paparazzi follow her endlessly. She also has a line of clothing.

I think her main claim to fame is being a Hilton.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Why do we have to hear about them all the time? Well, because the folks who keep telling us about them, "the media", say it's because it's what the people want - and the magazines certainly do sell, no argument there.
If the people really do want to read about the lives of celebrities, why? Is it just distraction, the way movie attendance jumped during the depression? If so, I personally find no comfort whatsoever in reading about the lives of the wealthy and spoiled few. It's like going window shopping, without any money: not much pleasure in it, for me.
Maybe, though, it's just the tendency of folks to accept what's presented, like the daily "news" broadcasts, without thinking about it, whether it's important, or even relevant. Television was the beginning of the hypnotic tendency to "be entertained" for more than the duration of a movie, or book, to sit passively and just watch, without discrimination. Except to change the channel, and watch something else, of course.
Everything doesn't have to be 'important' or 'relevant' to be worth our time, we can enjoy being amused, for example, but the passivity of folks today is scary to me. Too many are more concerned about Brittany & Paris, or the latest athlete to get caught misbehaving, than the issues that have a serious effect on our lives. We don't have to become crusaders, but we ought to pay some attention to the powers that rule our lives, no?
The media encourages us to focus on the fluff, and the outrageous (crimes involving horror, or sex), but for what purpose? Because that's what 'we' want? Or because that's how they avoid any potential alienation of any potential advertisers?
Follow the money - it's ALWAYS about the money.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
2094xc0.jpg

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Um.. isn't there a pattern of destructive behavior with child stars who continue in the business?

I think, but I may be wrong that once Disney gets a hold of a kid and exploits them to their fullest potential, they can't handle reality anymore.

I also remember reading somewhere that people have small lives and they want to watch others crash and burn, being caught up in others lives to distract them even more. If the media has something to do with it, it is just to continue our focus off of the world of politics.

I think OVM asked what we can do to prevent our down fall, well maybe rounding up the Hollywood and special people, put them on display and then take them out to the ocean and .....

oh wait, lets just do what the romans did, want entertainment, let the games begin....... Bring out the lions, opps there goes tinker bell #12 and watch paris run.....

I know I am mean but meet one of them and you will know why I am so .. well you know.....