Panther Sale getting closer....

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, ABF just reported an 18.2 Mil.$ loss for 1st quarter, in line with same quarterly loss last year.
those company shares are shrinking fast.
the good news is they attribute mach of it for "High workers compensation",
which normally show a union or executives that collect more then they needs, on the share holders dime.

may panther be their bailout.

I agree with The Moose ! As well as Them being panthers .
In that they fill each others gaps.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Here are my thoughts on this whole mess.

Whoever acquires Panther, will take one of several actions:
1) Acquire the assets and dispose of the company - ie get their customers legally and run.
2) Acquire the assets and integrate the company - I won't even go the union argument routes.
3) Acquire the assets and run as a wholly owned subsidiary - aka Covenant an Southern Refrigerated Transport.
4) Acquire the assets and (integrate run as a wholly owned subsidiary) and allow it to wither on the vine.

Which one would happen, sorry guys, we are not priv to enough info to know what either can occur. More than likely unions will also be involved, as well as existing contracts that Panther holds and must be honored. Then the feds will then have to get their part of this situation.

In short, we can have much fun bantering back and forth, but we are just unwilling participants in a great play of life.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for correcting me. Con-Way did NOT merge with CF. But they did use Con-way (non-union) to run all the business CF (union) had under the (non-union) Con-Way name. Correct? They didn't do it right away, but that's what they had in mind from the start...No? Then they closed CF's (union) doors! The Teamster waited years to do anything until Con-Way already had a massive customer base and then they tried to make a showing with "information pickets" Isn't that like waiting until your enemy builds up his army and then go and try to attack them? Now if I remember right, didn't Con-Way have some sort of expediting company a while back? Now, what happened to it? Maybe, just maybe, that's what they have in mind for Panther. Also, isn't a "CONTRACT" only good for thirty days and either party can terminate it with only a letter?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
RPS ( Fedex ground) and Roberts Express ( FDCC) were both owned by Roadway without union interferance. ABF losing money may be more about fancy accounting and tax stratagies than it is their evil union workers.
If they're so broke why would they be buying anything.
When my father owned a union company he complained about his high labor costs as he climbed in his Town Car and went to the country club. 5 days a week !

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Contracts can be rewritten, terminated, or just have a amendment/addendum added to them. At the end of the day, it will come down to whether they cut drivers rates. It certainly has been done before at E1 and Tri-State. Both took a hit and the latter is just about dried up. Not sure one wants to go that path in a industry that is currently short on capacity. "Screwing the pooch" mentality is rather expensive. Raise by XPO back to 1.24 on straights didn't happen by accident. Lost a bunch and trying to get it back.
As for what happens with Panther on a sale could be all over the place. Just depends on who is buying.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Con-Way's expediting division was Con-Way NOW. It was sold to Panther.

Contracts last as long as is stated in the contract. It can be any time frame. Some specify a year or longer (like 2 years with a cell phone carrier), some state 30 days with automatic renewal for another 30 days unless one or both parties want to end the contract at the end of a 30-day period (as with many rental agreements). If a contract has no stated length, either party can end the contract at will, or by some other method as specified in the contract itself. Contracts for motor carriers are just as varied.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Here are my thoughts on this whole mess.

Whoever acquires Panther, will take one of several actions:
1) Acquire the assets and dispose of the company - ie get their customers legally and run.
2) Acquire the assets and integrate the company - I won't even go the union argument routes.
3) Acquire the assets and run as a wholly owned subsidiary - aka Covenant an Southern Refrigerated Transport.
4) Acquire the assets and (integrate run as a wholly owned subsidiary) and allow it to wither on the vine.

Which one would happen, sorry guys, we are not priv to enough info to know what either can occur. More than likely unions will also be involved, as well as existing contracts that Panther holds and must be honored. Then the feds will then have to get their part of this situation.

In short, we can have much fun bantering back and forth, but we are just unwilling participants in a great play of life.
Not many assets to get. They are a non-asset based company.

moose

Veteran Expediter
. Not sure one wants to go that path in a industry that is currently short on capacity..
The LTL freight market is running at loosing rates for some times now, as the Big players try to bring YRC to it's knees.
UPS & FedEx raised their package delivery rates to compensate for the loss in LTL freight.
Saia, Old Dominions and others have already diversified. R&L going throe some major changes. & so on.
if ABF will not diversifies, they will have a big problem this year.
LTL carriers are baiting into Expedite freight, because the LTL rates are simply not there any more.
one of the bad things that can happens to Expedite rates is YRC receiving a new bailout.
that'll just about freak out everyone hauling LTL freight. which in returns take care of any Expedite capacity concerns for some time.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
I heard at truckstop that the company that was ahead on the bidding is landstar dont know much about them but it is all going to good is what I hear, I hope if not might just get back out since load one want put my cargo van on

BeecherKen

Active Expediter
Here's the litter scoop: **I** am buying Panther. Three truckload's of Tender Vittles, four truckload's of dried catnip, and $20.

The catnip was the hardest part of the deal. They wanted a lot more.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Here's the litter scoop: **I** am buying Panther. Three truckload's of Tender Vittles, four truckload's of dried catnip, and $20.

We should talk. I bought FDXCC a few months ago. After consolidating some of those smaller tval loads onto company owned trailers, Ive now implemented this amazing re-branding program. We have shed ourselves of a few non-believers and the future is looking bright. Wanna merge?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Originally Posted by BeecherKen

We should talk. I bought FDXCC a few months ago. After consolidating some of those smaller tval loads onto company owned trailers, Ive now implemented this amazing re-branding program. We have shed ourselves of a few non-believers and the future is looking bright. Wanna merge?

All good stuff boss, now can you get us a load from L.A. to somewhere east of the Mississippi for thursday morning? Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Originally Posted by BeecherKen

All good stuff boss, now can you get us a load from L.A. to somewhere east of the Mississippi for thursday morning? Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well if XPO were to buy them..the first order would likely be...new contracts....same rate across the board...none of this some have .85 or .77 nonsense....they'd get the same as E-1 drivers get now...It would be too complicated to operate with two different systems...within the same company.

They wouldn't operate within. They would be their own little'o company. As all the other companies E-1 owns now.

Besides all that. It's ConwayNow who will sweep in and get'em.... This is true, as I heard it on the internet and Truck Stops. lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They wouldn't operate within. They would be their own little'o company. As all the other companies E-1 owns now.

Besides all that. It's ConwayNow who will sweep in and get'em.... This is true, as I heard it on the internet and Truck Stops. lol

LOL...have to agree with ya...Why change what Panther has purrrrfected to screw over van drivers...its working for them....hahahaha

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

Of course, sir. I'll have dispatch send this one I'm looking at now across. Phoenix AZ to Atlanta,GA. It pays $1,237 to the truck.

Your continued support is much appreciated. :D

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Of course, sir. I'll have dispatch send this one I'm looking at now across. Phoenix AZ to Atlanta,GA. It pays $1,237 to the truck.

Your continued support is much appreciated. :D

Sorry, we dont work that cheap. That's vannie pay.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

What, no Precious Cat Ultra Premium clumping cat litter to sweeten the deal? Precious Cat Ultra prevents moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray, while providing a clump that will not break down. Ultra is perfect for multi-cat families and those cat owners with sifting or mechanical litter boxes. It has superior odor control. 99.9% dust free Hypo-allergenic, contains no plant proteins All-natural Hard-clumping Multi-cat Ideal for sifting/mechanical litter boxes Superior odor control. Made in the USA.