Panther Rates on their own banner ad tells the sto

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
RE: Panther Rates on their own banner ad tells the

chuckster,

As I look at the Panther banner you refer to while hunting and pecking this reply, they aren't paying $.44 CPM "to the truck", they're paying "to the team".

It seems like they are recruiting teams for "company owned" trucks by using that type of come-on. I wonder if that is the case?!?

Rex

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter

The ad you are referring to is for "fleet trucks" not o/o units. I love the way people are so quick to start making neagtive comments, without fully reading what they are talking about. Just because something is in bold print, does not mean its always what YOU think it means.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If you look at your link you'll see "adcycle" in the URL. That link gets any one of many ads that cycle through turns on the site. I haven't hit the Panther ad in 3 tries at different times. Based on what others have said I'm sure it is the ad looking for drivers to operate fleet owner trucks at 44cpm to the operator.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

This is the banner in question:

As others said, this is Panther's attempt to help out fleet owners. People calling for this ad will be referred to fleet owners.

While it is not explicitly stated in this PARTICULAR small banner ad, it has been on others, as in many trade publications. It would seem to me, in my humble opinion...if you would have perhaps took a few extra moments, and thought it thru before you accused, you would have realized this is NOT Owner/Operator pay. Their ads are all over this site, along with most other companies, and their rates are well published.

Please look past the obvious before you attempt to stir up trouble for a company you know nothing about.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter

Fleet owner looking for teams here! The purpose of this recruiting tool is to recruit teams for fleet owners from the otr side of the industry. We pay much better than the Covenants and Swifts and other companies out there pay for their company drivers. Panther is letting those compnay drivers know there is a alternative market that they may not have considered that can use their skills. Great recruitment strategy and as a fleet owner for Panther I am quite pleased that they are spending THEIR money and recruiting for me....they do not charge me for this nor do they charge me for the teams they place with my fleet. They expect me to at minimum meet their advertised pay and to give the teams a good experience with Panther. Thanks again Panther recruiting!

-Charlotte

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

>Fleet owner looking for teams here! The purpose of this
>recruiting tool is to recruit teams for fleet owners from
>the otr side of the industry. We pay much better than the
>Covenants and Swifts and other companies out there pay for
>their company drivers. Panther is letting those compnay
>drivers know there is a alternative market that they may not
>have considered that can use their skills. Great
>recruitment strategy and as a fleet owner for Panther I am
>quite pleased that they are spending THEIR money and
>recruiting for me....they do not charge me for this nor do
>they charge me for the teams they place with my fleet. They
>expect me to at minimum meet their advertised pay and to
>give the teams a good experience with Panther. Thanks again
>Panther recruiting!
>
>
>
>-Charlotte
That's a good per mile rate but I'm curious how many miles teams run per week on the average .

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter

Well as with any expedite company it varies. I have 6 teams, they vary between 2500 miles and 4500 depending on the team. I have some teams that will not move their truck unless they are paid for it so if they take a load to albuquerque, nm for example they will sit there for 5 days without a load instead of driving to el paso 200 miles away. We pay fuel and we tell them to go where the loads are in this case el paso, but they want us to pay them 200 miles for the empty move. I cannot do that, all i can do is help them get where they can get freight or maybe get them a backhaul. SO they sit. Another truck that moves when able to will run 4k miles during that 5 days. A lot depends on the drivers. A lot depends on the freight available. The average for our fleet personally has been 3385 miles a week over the last 3 months. That is also including all weeks off etc. I do not have any drivers that take less than 1 week off after 3 weeks on. I hope that helps.

-Charlotte

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Anyone who's ever stood in a line at the store, held up by the customer arguing with the cashier over a coupon that doesn't fit the product chosen, knows that people skip the details, then get upset at their misconception.x(

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

To put a different twist on what Cheri said about Family's team... Your team sounds like they would stand in a long line at a grocery store, then refuse to move over when another lane opens up unless someone paid them to. I feel badly that you have a team that can't help themselves. Some call em steering wheel holders, I call em spoiled children.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter

The only problem with paying a per mile rate instead of the normal percentage rate is you don't make the same amount of money.The reason why that team wouldn't relocate to El Paso is because they weren't getting any money and wating time to drive there. The owner probably made deadhead money if they would have gone, now my question is why should the owner get money for those drivers time driving? Just a thought!

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter

owner did noty get paid for dh....nothing but time driving 200 miles or time sitting 7 days. noone pays me a dime when i dh either.

-charlotte

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

The only problem with paying a per mile rate instead of the normal percentage rate is you don't make the same amount of money.The reason why that team wouldn't relocate to El Paso is because they weren't getting any money and wating time to drive there. The owner probably made deadhead money if they would have gone, now my question is why should the owner get money for those drivers time driving? Just a thought!
======================================================
If one is taking a load into NM, it would entail a likely DH to El Paso unless you luck into a backhaul. Even LTL freight is thin in NM until you get to El Paso. That should have been considered at the time of the run offer. Sitting 7 days anywhere is total foolishness, when there is freight 200 miles away. With idling and eating, a team is likely spending at least 40 a day. If they can't move 200 miles verses sitting 7 days, they shouldn't be in this business.
They are going to spend that same money just sitting a day or two.
Nothing but common sense.
As for whether the owner should get any money for DH, it depends. Whomever is paying the fuel should get the empty move. If it is a deadhead rate, the owner should get something out of it. The amount should depend on whether the owner is paying fuel. You want a fair distribution, and keep in mind that the drivers time does have a value, but there is also a cost the owner takes on every time that truck moves.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If you are with a fixed rate per mile company getting a certain amount per mile is getting a percentage of the load. Any team who considers a 200 mile reposition to get another load a waste of time but sitting a week waiting on a load offer a reasonable use of time needs some serious help. When they aren't paying for the fuel it's even more ridiculous not to move.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

If they are splitting 3000 miles average at $.44 a mile that's less than $700 a week per person . Not very attractive pay although a married couple teaming might find that acceptable . Freight teams run to get miles , often over 5,000 a week . Expedite runs teams so a run over 500 miles can be made nonstop . A higher rate per mile doesn't guarantee a higher yearly income .

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

If they sit for a week 200 miles from freight, that could be the reason they average 3000 miles per week. Good teams must be real hard to find if an owner has to put up with that crap. But that 44 cpm seems about a dime short unless they are getting paid for all miles.

You can lead a horse to water, but.....

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

This advertisement appeared in the Sunday Edition of my local newspaper, "The Florida Times Union".

Drivers,
TEAMS WANTED
.44 cents per miles, Straight Truck
.52 cents per mile, Tractors
CDL Training Avail + 401K & Med Benefits Avail
Call 1-800-592-7903

Well you Panther drivers know who answers that number.

"Welcome to Panther Expedited services"

Semms to me like Panther may be going with Company drivers if they are offering 401K and Benefits. Bears watching