Panther Pals

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree that whatever is agreed upon at time of acceptance should be paid and if the customer later balks it still should be paid and that customer held responsible. It's not my truck's responsibility to eat half the fsc for a lousy customer.

I'm a solo D unit operator and I rarely ever crossdock and when I do it's because it's impossible not to. I'm aware of situations that should have been handled differently such as a truck coming out of Virginia with a Laredo load. The solo driving it runs out of hours around Little Rock. He drives right through Memphis on his way. There's no truck in Little Rock so a truck from Memphis is dispatched to deadhead to L.R. to swap because the guy doesn't want to lose any of his 11 hours. I can appreciate that but he should have been pulled in Memphis. That was totally wrong on Panther's part.

There are other examples that make no sense, at least from this side of the wheel. Perhaps there are other circumstances that are not readily apparent in some of them. I don't know. I just know there isn't someone sitting at Panther throwing darts at the run board to randomly pick units to swap.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'll bet it has to do with someone (maybe a dispatcher) being geographically challenged, more than anything. You just can't turn someone loose dispatching, that don't have some feel for where what is in this country.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I AGREE WITH ALL THE POSTS. INCLUDING THE ONE ABOUT THE GEOGRAPHICALLY CHALLENGED DISPATCHER. I THINK THAT WAS WHAT HAPPENED ON MY LOAD TO MICHIGAN.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have to think these issues are limited to solos or vans. As mentioned before, we have done very few of these. If it is a big deal, ask for a flat rate. My quess as well is that these things are likely from a new or as the Colonel put it, a geographically challenged dispatcher. Just to swap something to swap it wouldn't make alot of sense since Panther bears a cost in it.
With regards to estimated FSC, the current system while not perfect, works in our favor. On most of our loads, the FSC is higher than what is quoted. They could always pay less and give a garanteed amount?
I'll keep what I got. If those averages change, then my opinion will as well.

And Gregg,
I don't follow?
You said,

See, also I find the FedEx court cases that have been going on, and reading the details of a few of these cases they are for the most part are what I perceive as panther’s overall relationship strategy with the contractors. From all I have read, all I have heard and seen, I am glad to be where I am at

===========================================
Your at Fedex where they have all kinds of lawsuits going on. Many at this point that they haven't won because they lost and are in a appeal process. I haven't heard of one that involves Panther. Not sure what you mean? The issues at Fedex Ground aren't related to Panthers operation in the least.
Your glad you are there, but I hope it isn't for that reason.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Teflon

Seasoned Expediter
Last month we were not paid a .28 fsc and a .48 fsc was reduced to .24 in the settlement. I accepted those loads because they both involved long deadheads on the front and back end the trip. Of course if I had known the fsc would not be paid in full, I would not have taken the loads. I can't operate profitably when dealing with the "bait and switch" tactics built into carrier policies.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That goes back to my question of, is it better to have a garanteed rate that will be less overall, or what is in place. The other side of that coin is, how many were overpaid? We as well have had ones that paid less, but they weren't in the majority.
If they went to a lower garanteed rate, you likely will see your over FSC less. Seen that a few too many times with other carriers recently.
Conways FSC went to a flat rate because of these issues.
It kinda turns into one of those "be careful what you wish for"
Remember Conway was a flat rate I believe of .20
That doesn't cut it in my world.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I guess this all begs the question. How many you folks got paid too much and didn't complain about the coniving at your Carrier on this site. Or, better yet, how many you folks that have complained, once, got overpaid anuther time.
this boo hooing is rather old sometimes.
Havin typed that, there are some kinda strange things going on over there since the bean counters really took over. Just one thing to remember tho figgures don't lie, but, liars figgure. Ya know.

are12

Expert Expediter
We still have a hard time understanding how someone can base their acceptance of a load on the FSC.

When we are offered a load, we look at the DH, loaded miles and where it is going to take us. The FSC is just a bonus.

However, we do agree, any carrier should pay the FSC they send over the QC.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
For what it's worth, the idea of agreeing on a rate when dispatched and then having the rate changed after the fact or during when services are rendered is my point. Whether it is FedEx or Panther or what ever company, it is a very bad business practice to do and should not happen for what ever reason, this is all I am saying.

volunteer 1

Expert Expediter
This is why I like a flat rate. My carrier pays $1.10 per loaded mile for cargo vans and I never got that with the others FSC.

Volunteer

charlesmcmaster

Seasoned Expediter
IF ANY OF YOU THINK THAT PANTHER OR ANY COMPANY IS ACTUALLY GOING TO WASTE THEIR TIME BUILDING A PROGRAM THAT GENERATES A MESSAGE THAT PROTECTS ANYONE ELSE BUT THE COMPANY YOU ARE A FOOL.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's no need to YELL about it. You are entitled to your opinion and at least I for one won't call you a fool for a different opinion.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
when i was with panther they were pretty good about offering those good 800 mile runs that you knew you could legally complete then let you eat 100 miles of dead head just to get 150-200 loaded miles then make you swap out. that was part of the reason i left.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless we are talking vans there's no way to legally complete an 800 mile run, even if you are parked at the shipper.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Friday or Saturday pickup, with a Monday delivery, anyone can do legally - but I know what you meant, Leo.
My experience in a B unit with Panther was the same: too many loopholes, discrepancies, and dispatchers contradicting other dispatchers. I agree with those who believe that the offer accepted on the QC should not be changed, unless mutually agreed upon. The disclaimer provides a loophole that they can drive the QE2 through.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cheri, you are right but I never thought of that because there would be no need to swap it for time. I should have specified a straight through run.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Falligator

Expert Expediter
>I guess this all begs the question. How many you folks got paid too >much and didn't complain about the coniving at your Carrier on this >site. Or, better yet, how many you folks that have complained, >once, got overpaid anuther time.
>this boo hooing is rather old sometimes.

This is response to 06col....Panther overpaid me $1,900 due to that quickpay program they were offering. I had tried to call payroll but was unsuccessful in my attempts to call them (which is another forum altogether) b/c they would not answer the phone. they gave me my 45% when done but when they paid me they also gave me the 45%. they took their money out didn't see a check for a while

ShawnF
o/o
Panther